Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 10:33:37 AM EDT
Have any of you had a chance to play with this round? The specs look cool. A 17 gr vmax at 2100 in a round the size of a 22lr. I have a savage MII chamber for this on the way. Ill give a report with ballistic gell data if your interested?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically a 22lr necked down to .17, same idea as the .17HMR which is a .22Mag necked down to .17.  Personally, unless you already have a platform to build up a .17M2(like a Ruger 10/22) I'd just as soon go with the .17HMR and get the better ballistics. .17HMR pushes the same bullet at about 2500fps, not a lot more but enough to pick it up over the .17M2 if you are buying a new gun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Basically a 22lr necked down to .17, same idea as the .17HMR which is a .22Mag necked down to .17.  Personally, unless you already have a platform to build up a .17M2(like a Ruger 10/22) I'd just as soon go with the .17HMR and get the better ballistics. .17HMR pushes the same bullet at about 2500fps, not a lot more but enough to pick it up over the .17M2 if you are buying a new gun.

The case is a 22 stinger case reformed. Gen 3 of the round has a slight taper to it to ease extraction. I got it in to test the round. Im wanting to do some custom 10/22 and ruger mark2's. The rifle was cheaper than a match blank. So I went that route. If it turns out to be a high coolness factor. Ill have a blank and reamer on the way.

Octobers Issue of Varmint Hunter had a really larger write up on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
These little 17's are neat rounds but I've heard of some reports of the barrels fouling out quickly. Not really a "problem" but if you're target shooting you might want to swab out the bore after every few shots. My Marlin 17V is a very accurate rifle.  I put a 2.5x32 on it for squrrile  hunting in the woods. If I was going to shoot more in the open I'd have went with one of the BSA's made for this round in the 4-12x40(I think it's a 40mm).  I'll be glad when it's finally on the market long enough for the ammo prices to come down a bit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Once they start coming out with drop in barrels for the 10/22 that round will probably take off.

Sounds like it's going to be good for squirrels!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Once they start coming out with drop in barrels for the 10/22 that round will probably take off.

Sounds like it's going to be good for squirrels!

I heard that it does not damage the meat that much. Teriyiki squirrel on a stick.YUMMMMM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top