Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2011 1:17:24 PM EDT
$150 for one ignition key for a 99.5 Pathfinder.  A $2 screwdriver should work too right?

Are there any alternatives than going to a stealer to have this done?
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
some brands have this on lockdown. my wife has a jaguar xk8, look that one up! i drive a gto and have to get my extra keys from australia. nothing you can do about it! $150 doesnt sound too bad in my garage. sorry bud you gotta pony up for this one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Be glad you don't have a Chrysler key alone is over $150 retail plus programing. Bad part is a Chrysler key fails in less than a year of use.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I know this sounds funny, but check with Walmart.  The Walmarts here in Virginia have recently started to carry some keys with the programable chip.  I dont know if they do all makes and models but it is worth checking out if they are doing it in your home state as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Be glad you don't have a Chrysler key alone is over $150 retail plus programing. Bad part is a Chrysler key fails in less than a year of use.

And by then the key is worth more than the Chrysler!

Link Posted: 4/18/2011 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I know this sounds funny, but check with Walmart.  The Walmarts here in Virginia have recently started to carry some keys with the programable chip.  I dont know if they do all makes and models but it is worth checking out if they are doing it in your home state as well.

The key isn't the only expensive part, it's the labor to use the $8,500 diagnostic tool that accesses the security module that adds up.

The chip isn't programmed, the vehicle is taught to recognize that RFID tag as a "friendly" key, and allow the computers to enable.

I would not trust a China Walmart key in a $40,000 vehicle at all.

Link Posted: 4/18/2011 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You can typically find blanks on Ebay for cheap.  Buy good blanks.  I dunno about Nissan, but with Ford, anything other than Strattec or Ilco blanks are a crap shoot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Those are both Ford's OEM key builders, are they not?

Link Posted: 4/18/2011 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fixed it for 'ya!
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
With some vehicles if you have 2 keys you can program a third.  If you only have one, you're fucked.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The key isn't the only expensive part, it's the labor to use the $8,500 diagnostic tool that accesses the security module that adds up.

The chip isn't programmed, the vehicle is taught to recognize that RFID tag as a "friendly" key, and allow the computers to enable.

I would not trust a China Walmart key in a $40,000 vehicle at all.

The OEM keys are made in China. The key is that RF transponder. eBay keys from China/Hong Kong work fine in new Fords, just get the keys cut at a Lowe's and program them yourself. Your $40,000 Amurican car is probably 75% Chinese/Mexican parts. I see Chinese characters stamped on engine and electrical parts in my Mustang.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#13]
so ya'll bought a car that needs a metal key with a built in digital key?

that makes about as much sense as a football bat.

I'd see the fucking over engineered POS car

BBTW, do you have a drivers seat seat?
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for 'ya!

You got that right I change the WIN modules ( module the ignition key goes in) in Chryslers between 5-12k on them, had a few dead off the truck. Until this year 2011 I could change most in an hour the new mini van needs to have the entire upper dash pulled. The piece of shit Grand Cherokees take about 4 hours to do, including leaving half the flesh on your hand inside the dash, real crappy design. Then you need the new WiTech to program the WIN module and any keys
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Go buy one for a "Sucksass" [Lexus] and feel the pain.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks. It won't hurt to ask if they do it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#19]
New Hyundai SmartKeys are about $300 a pop.  I remember when the sales department lost a smartkey for an Infiniti Q45 that someone had traded in.  I believe that the price tag on that baby was around $750.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I know the local Ace Hardware does chip keys, so that may be an option.  Of course, they couldn't help me with my VW key.  The issue on the VW isn't so much the chip as the style of cut on the key, which they are unable to duplicate.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if the keyless entry FOB's being sold on eBay will work with a '97 Land rover Discovery?  Some sources report you can program them yourself, but others claim the dealer must do the programming.  Fortunately, the '97 Disco doesn't use a chip kep, so you can get the key cut just about anywhere.  However, in two attempts, I haven't been able to get a key cut that will actually crank the vehicle.  The keys work fine on the doors, but no go on the ignition.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I had to buy two keys for a 2011 camry a few weeks ago and it ran me $700 at the stealership.  The co. I work for had bought the car at auction and it came with only the valet key.  I was amazed.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I found a kit one time that you simply put the one chipped key in a little box and ziptie it under the dash near the ignition.  The box transmits the key information to the ignition and then you use a non chipped key to start the vehicle.  You can then make as many copies of non chipped keys as you want.  

Kind of neat and IIRC cost about $50.

Here's an even easier and cheaper way
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#23]
You know the anti theft prevents somebody from screwdrivering it, don't you?
Quoted:

I found a kit one time that you simply put the one chipped key in a
little box and ziptie it under the dash near the ignition. The box
transmits the key information to the ignition and then you use a non
chipped key to start the vehicle. You can then make as many copies of
non chipped keys as you want.

Link Posted: 4/21/2011 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Just be happy it isn't a Mercedes. My key had to be shipped from Germany.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just be happy it isn't a Mercedes. My key had to be shipped from Germany.

BMW cuts all their keys in New Jersey and the price is the same, you are getting a deal on shipping!

On a serious note, I am tempted to do the trick where you rip off the head of your key and velcro it into your steering column....allowing you to use any normally cut key as a spare.

I could remove it when I leave the car for more than a day, or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
$150 for one ignition key for a 99.5 Pathfinder.  A $2 screwdriver should work too right?

Did you lose a key?  Damage one?  If if just stopped working, you can replace the batteries in them (I can in my Ram anyways...)
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you lose a key?  Damage one?  If if just stopped working, you can replace the batteries in them (I can in my Ram anyways...)

Wife had lost the spare and now has broken the top off of the only one left.  She will lose this one as well.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You know the anti theft prevents somebody from screwdrivering it, don't you?

Quoted:
I found a kit one time that you simply put the one chipped key in alittle box and ziptie it under the dash near the ignition. The boxtransmits the key information to the ignition and then you use a nonchipped key to start the vehicle. You can then make as many copies ofnon chipped keys as you want.

Very true.  However, this trick prevents the anal probing by the dealership for a replacement key.  

Simply locking your vehicle when you are away from it will prevent being a victim of MOST vehicle related crimes.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#30]
A replacement key for my E46 BMW 3 series is $225.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I too am facing the same dilemma,

I just bought an 04 Nissan Murano, one key of course, I was quoted $160 for the key and programming.

It came with a remote start, aftermarket. So after ripping my dash apart to find the hidden key, I realized afterwards I could have used a non chipped key to start the car if I left the hidden one in its original place.

Fml.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#32]
New Chrysler keys SUCK!  Its not a metal key anymore, just a fob with a chip in it that you stick in the dash.  For my Ram, the dealer quoted me $150 for the actual fob and another $150 for programming!  Interestingly, they have a metal valet key built in to it that unlocks the driver door and the tailgate.  The metal key will NOT fit into the ignition, so when the battery dies in the key fob, I can't drive my truck.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
With some vehicles if you have 2 keys you can program a third.  If you only have one, you're fucked.
My jeep is this way.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
You can typically find blanks on Ebay for cheap.  Buy good blanks.  I dunno about Nissan, but with Ford, anything other than Strattec or Ilco blanks are a crap shoot.

Those are both Ford's OEM key builders, are they not?

I'm pretty sure Strattec is.

My oem Mustang key is Strattec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top