Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 1:56:31 AM EDT
Can someone explain this in some more detail? Also, are you allowed to select your weapon in most places? I don't know if I want to trust my life to a Glock...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can someone explain this in some more detail? Also, are you allowed to select your weapon in most places? I don't know if I want to trust my life to a Glock...

What's wrong with a Glock?  Take care of it and it will take care of you.

I carry one off duty...but  my main gun is a USP.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Select pistol:   Some places yes...   Some places no.  Sometimes from an approved list.
Although ugly as it gets.   Glocks are very reliable.    I carry two.  A 22 and a 27.   Either you have had a bad experience or not educated regarding the pistols.  
Some departments allow you to use allowance for dry cleaning, haircuts etc.    That's a generous clothing allowance. IMO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
So is that a monthly thing? Do I use it to buy my weapon or just for the uniform?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Monthly no way   Once a year...

Buy weapon?  That depends on the department/agency.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If I got that monthly I would be one happy SOB!  

That is a yearly amount.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Yearly amount.   We just started to chop it up and add it to our paychecks bi-monthly (it gets taxed to hell now ) instead of a yearly lump sum.

Sounds OK on paper, but cop uniforms are historically overpriced (in the local cop shops.) We are responsible for all uniform purchases including boots, unis, patches, hats, tie, underarmor, bicycle gear, shorts, etc.. .  

Duty equipment including badge, sidearm (SIG 226), radio, flashlight, cuffs, leather, body armor (PACA), gear bag, posse box, batons/taser/OC/rifle, are all issued.  Everything I use on my bicycle I also have to buy such as lighting, trunk, racks and safety equipment.

NorCal  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

....getting ahead of yourself chief.  First, you need to actually get hired.  Worrying about what gun you are going to carry at this stage is like enlisting in the Air Force and wondering what kind of space suit they are gonna issue you when you get to be an astronaut.

As to what you will have to purchase out of your uniform allowance....who knows.  Every PD is different.  I work for a large metropolitan PD and nearly everything is issued, right down to report case and citation holder.  that $1000 bucks may have to buy you everything....from socks to shooter, or it may be only for duty weapon/holster.

Further..."trust my life to a Glock"?  Give me a break.  You either don't know anything about firearms or you have already developed an armchair commando outlook, feeding off only the BS that is bantered about here on Arfcom and other gun boards.

Glocks are like Volvos, boxy, but safe.

Sheep

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to buy my own t-shirts, underwear, socks. Practically everything else is issued. POW's are allowed if they're on a long list of approved manufacturers and you supply your own mags, holster etc.

We get a $600 annual clothing/equip allowance for maintenance i.e. dry cleaning, etc.

Uniform sweaters are not issued. They are not required but are allowed if purchased at officer expense. They also don't issue sunglasses, gloves, clipboards or posse boxes, duty bags or flashlights, although a rechargeable Maglite is mounted in every department vehicle. Department
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So is that a monthly thing? Do I use it to buy my weapon or just for the uniform?

Oh yeah, most departments give each officer at least twelve grand a year in uniform allowance.

Have they sent you down to the dealership to pick out your new car for the month yet?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top