Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 3:11:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Its pretty expensive to remove them plus they have to put you under,  My buddy simply let them grow in and he said it did not cause any problems. The tips of the teeth are poking through my gums, no real pain, should I just let them be or go under the knife?

If they're not crowding or bothering, leave them alone. Go grab an x-ray at the dentist if you're worried.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its pretty expensive to remove them plus they have to put you under,  My buddy simply let them grow in and he said it did not cause any problems. The tips of the teeth are poking through my gums, no real pain, should I just let them be or go under the knife?

If they're not crowding or bothering, leave them alone. Go grab an x-ray at the dentist if you're worried.

about a year ago they said they were not coming in straight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Just had mine out yesterday.  Nothing to it, more like a vacation, because you get some time off work.  Mine were covered under insurance, so I don't know about the cost.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just had mine out yesterday.  Nothing to it, more like a vacation, because you get some time off work.  Mine were covered under insurance, so I don't know about the cost.

How many days off will it cost you?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

about a year ago they said they were not coming in straight.

No telling.  Best bet is to get it looked at again. Depending on how 'not straight' they are, you'll need them out eventually.

Mine cost like $450 at the dental college. $250 of that was the anastesia. Was in and out in less than two hours.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
No pain and no need to go under.  Ask for some valiun to take about a half hour before surgery.  It takes the edge right off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I had mine removed when I was 16 because they were crowding and causing some headaches. The percocets were great!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
just had mine done. I wont say yes or no because i ahve no idea what the circumstances are. IF you do get them out, use a shit load of ice, it will keep swelling way down. I was eating normal food 3 days after tehy were removed, so you arent gonna be out for long. And make sure you do the saltwater gargles. It will keep the holes in the back of your mouth clean ( yes it will leave holes on the teeth that have already come in about the size of a peanut, kinda gross/cool) About 5days i was back 100%.

And the stiches will be a real pain the dissolve and kinda fall out by thereself, but if you dont like the feeling of thhe stch hanging down do what i did take thm out yourself
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only took one day, myself, and that was only cause I worked at night at the time. Had I not gone from work straight to the oral surgeon, and been able to get a full sleep in between, I wouldn't even have taken that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Today and tomorrow, but I could have gon today if I wanted to.  They count as sick days!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd recommend that you get them removed.  Wisdom teeth often fail to 'erupt' completely through the gums and so food tends to get caught between the gum and the tooth beneath.  This can lead to anything from serious  bad breath (a nuisance) and eventual decay (the pain!) or an infection (really, really nasty).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Problem is that they are exposed, and they are impossible to clean. If you let them erupt, they may destroy the alveolar bone supporting your second molars (I'd need to see the radiographs). I'd say it's better to have them extracted now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Back in 76 I had all mine pulled by a crusty old Colonel in the Army and returned to duty immediately after the appointment.  Developed a dry socket the day after and suffered two weeks before the bastard would see me again.  He said since I didn't follow his orders I should suffer the consequences.  And suffer I did!  Moral of the story is do exactly what the doctor orders.  I fugged up and smoked cigarettes.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Problem is that they are exposed, and they are impossible to clean. If you let them erupt, they may destroy the alveolar bone supporting your second molars (I'd need to see the radiographs). I'd say it's better to have them extracted now.

That's what they told me so I had 'em out when I was 18.  24 years later, I don't miss them at all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Getting them out wasn't bad, hell they put more drugs in me than keith richards.  I was so fucking doped up on morphine all I remember is waking up and walking out of the dentists office.  The next few days sucked though, it was nothing but ramen noodles and pain.  The vicodin the doctor gave me didn't work at all and trying to eat was nearly impossible.  For about a week all I could eat was ramen or very soft solid food, but the only way to eat it was by breaking it up with my tounge against the roof of my mouth as chewing was to painful.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#16]
YES!!!!! For the percocet if nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Last week,

I've needed mine out for 2 or 3 years. One finally got infected. One day it hurt, next day I was at the dentist, then 5 hours later I was at the surgens to have it removed. I never took a day off cost me $220. Only had an injection, Penacillin, and vicioden.

(befor dentist)Oh did I mention that I couldn't open my mouth 8 hours after it started to hurt. That in order to eat a hamburger I had to smash it flat, cut it in little pieces and cram it between my teeth because I hadn't eat anything in about 18 hours. Because of the infection I couldn't open my mouth right for four days.

Some people don't need them out, others do. My opinion
Get them out before they get infected

edit spelling sucks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I had mine out last friday. They drugged me pretty good, because all I remember is talking to the dentist, feeling a little dizzy, then waking up in a dark room with a mouth full of bloody gauze. It didn't really hurt after the lidocaine wore off, and I didn't have any problems with swelling. I have some holes in my mouth and prefer to stick to soft foods right now, but it doesn't hurt at all to eat.
Mine were straight foward to remove. I imagine I'd be in a lot worse shape if he took an air chisel to them. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Your dentist will know if they are coming in bad enough to warrant having them out.
Some people have no problem with wisdom teeth.

I had them out years ago after suffering swollen gums and several mild infections on and off for a few years (bad breath too!)
Everytime I ate something like steak the gums around the wisdom teeth would swell up for days.

The younger you are the easier it is to get them out.
Once you past your mid 30's the teeth become much more "solidified".
If you're in your teens or 20's you should be fine.
If you're in your 30's or older recovery might be a few days more than usual.

My sister had one side done and then the other side years later.
She always told me to have them done at the same time because it just drags the whole thing out too long.

Most dentists will have a payment plan if you ask them.
Also call around and comparison shop.
You might be surprised about what different $ amounts you get if you don't have insurance.
Insurance companies haggle amounts so sometimes paying cash reduces what the dentist asks for.

Even if it doesn't hurt or bother you now if they are come in the wrong way and push against your other teeth you might end up looking like a hillbilly by the time you reach 50.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't worry about it.  The Army will yank them for you before you deploy whether you need them out or not.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Your dentist will know if they are coming in bad enough to warrant having them out.
Some people have no problem with wisdom teeth.

Exactly.

My 4 came in 20 years ago, and they're fine... just 4 more teeth.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top