9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/8/2005 4:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2005 6:28:23 AM EDT by hardcorps1775]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:19:04 AM EDT
TV hunting....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:25:33 AM EDT
I was once involved in the filming of a TV fishing show.Fake as shit!By th time is was edited and spliced together,I didn't recognize it.And I was there!
I expect a lot of these "hunting" shows are about the same.Don't have cable.Don't watch 'em.Period.I'd rather be doing than watching someone else.Dave
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:29:55 AM EDT
Cavemen would say that without spears its not hunting. So by that definition no, its not hunting. (Actually cavement would say "hoooo haaa heee grrrappagoo!"

People of today use most means available to hunt, so they would most likely say it is still hunting.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:32:46 AM EDT
If I didn't see those two , I saw two just like it.
I'm not anti hunting, I do, but this shit is a joke. And afterwards they congradulate each other!
I really don't relate. I think it looks bad for hunters.
Put those pussies in Africe with a Cape Buffalo charging them while they reload......
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:34:15 AM EDT

I've never hunted anything, and it's for similar reasons to what is in the first post. I really feel like I would have to earn the kill to legitimately call it hunting.

I'm not anti-hunting, it just doesn't really float my boat.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:36:05 AM EDT
The bison is a lot like the Rino.
both are animals from the stone age and there is no sport in killing them with modern tools. now a cape buffalo in high grass is another story.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:09:40 AM EDT
Hunting American bison is about as difficult as hunting Holstein cows.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 5:22:46 AM EDT by recoiljunky]

Originally Posted By hardcase:
Hunting American bison is about as difficult as hunting Holstein cows.

Originally posted by HK940:
The bison is a lot like the Rino.
both are animals from the stone age and there is no sport in killing them with modern tools. now a cape buffalo in high grass is another story.

Sounds like a horseback / longbow trip waiting to happen.

I think hunting is what you make it. This year I'm whitetail hunting with a longbow and homemade arrows. I hope to be knapping my own flint arrowheads and using them within the next three years. Last year I took a whitetail with a 10mm 1911.

Every year I try to increase the challenge for myself. I'm not worried about how other people are hunting or what they think of my hunting methods.

I was once criticized by some jackass when I told about a catered dove hunt I had attended. He called it "pussy hunting."
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:20:21 AM EDT
I'am anti-hunting just because most hunters are anti black rifle
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:22:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Waldo0506:
Cavemen would say that without spears its not hunting. So by that definition no, its not hunting. (Actually cavement would say "hoooo haaa heee grrrappagoo!"

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:28:47 AM EDT
Welcome to the world of controlled hunts. I have similar stories to tell about bird hunters on planted birds. Patty
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:35:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:46:25 AM EDT
I always thought the point of hunting is for food and pelt. At least that is why I hunt. So, if you are successful at killing the animal and eating it for sustenance, I don't see it as a bad thing. Shit, you think the Indians would'nt have taken a chance at those buffalo? The easier the better if it is for survival.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:50:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:51:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:52:23 AM EDT
Controlled hunting is not hunting .
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:53:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:54:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:55:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:56:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:58:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:04:08 AM EDT
i think i'm one of the few people here on arfcom that may have actually shot a buffalo.

they are extremely hard to bring down...2-3 shots isnt odd. we had 3 on our farm at one time and i had to put one down. they can take alot of shot. i hit 2 shots into the front shoulder with a 175gr noslers out of a 7mm mag..and it did not shudder or move. i finally shot it at the base of the skull. from 50 yards out.

they arent hunted much any more due to their numbers. without the hunting and the lack of predators comes the complacency to their species. they are just a wooly cow. now herds that are hunted, i imagine can be spooked pretty easy, and then they would just run for miles.

many hunters here do use ATVs..horses...jeeps. whatever. but even then...TV hunting isnt usually an accurate portrayal of it.

now...would i actually hunt a bison..probably not..unless i was going to spear one or shoot one with a bow and arrow from horse back. that would be righteous.

of course, the proper indian way of hunting them, was to just stampede them off a cliff into a ravine.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:05:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:06:43 AM EDT

that's awesome

"Hunting" in my mind is a synonym for "Harvesting."

Some harvesting is sporty, some is not. Personally, provided I can head to the supermarket and buy sirloin tips, I have no possible reason to go walk up to a cow, introduce myself, flare my nostrils, execute it, carve the bastard up, and lug 4 quarters out like an out of shape pack mule.

Now if that cow had opposable thumbs, sharp pointy teeth, and a sustainable 100 yard sprint speed of 10 seconds, I'd head to the local pasture, rub manure all over myself and hide in a Gateway computer box with a big gun.

Deer take a little more effort, bear (provided your not trapping or baiting) is very difficult. Varmints are what they are. But I'm sorry, chasing down and tagging big, slow moving, open grazing buffalo (like dating in northern Maine) is not hunting, it's harvesting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:08:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:12:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:19:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:24:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:29:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 6:34:51 AM EDT by TacticalMan]
Just because the quarry is stupid doesn't mean it's not hunting. My only criticism of that buffalo hunt is that they didn't just walk up and blast the critters, if that was possible.

If you want to make hunting challenging, why don't you just use your hands? Me, I don't care about the hystrionics like some of the bowhunters and blackpowder guys - I just want to kill the game in the most efficient, painless manner allowed by law. If I could kill deer by herding them into a slaughter house, I'd do it.

I'm sure if you asked a hungry caveman if he would like to double his success by whatever means, he'd be all over it. After all, cavemen went on to invent spears, then spear throwers, then bows, and then guns. Not one step backwards in efficiency to be found.

Only bored gentry say "How can I make this more difficult?"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:33:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Hunting over a bowl of cheerios is pretty much culling, or maybe an "exercise in bladder control"

If you're not moving to find the game, or trying to set up in area where the game may pass through is it hunting? I don't know, I don't have a problem with calling in game, that requires a skill to get the buggers to come into you, but just putting out the picnic basket and waiting-->

Don't do it then. Of course, you won't kill a bear--but your dignity will be intact.

I know a place where they have "wild boars," they sleep in a pen, then when the paying hunters show up one of the "guides" goes up and bangs on the pen to get them moving, they trot out down the path cleared in the deep snow where the "hunters" ventilate them. I passed on that one also.

Okay. So-called "canned hunts" aren't for everyone (myself included). Of course, I knew you would only kill the wild boar the "right" way--with a spear, in the tradition of German nobility. Anything less is very gauche.

You are not "cool" anymore. Hunting boars with spears is passe`. The real hunters these days use a knife.

I'm sure it's fun, and if they want to do it that way that's fine by me. But if I really want to kill something, I'll use a gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:36:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:38:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:38:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:
TV hunting....

I fucking HATE it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:42:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:42:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:
The real hunters these days use a knife.

Silly me--I thought the "real hunters" sit at home and talk shit via the internet, expounding the "right" way to do things, although they have never actually DONE said "right way."

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:59:24 AM EDT

Ninja-style hunting
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:07:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By recoiljunky:

www.hunt101.com/img/310638.jpg

Ninja-style hunting

That's not hunting! That sword is far too large and unsporting!

(Looks like fun)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 10:17:10 AM EDT by QP031]

NOT COOL!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:11:06 AM EDT
Funny how hunting can piss off people no matter how you do it.

One time I stalked a sleeping Elk to within 50 yards. I shot it w/o waking it. People were offended even though I thought it was a great stalk.

Another time I shot an Elk after a chase at 375 yards and people were offended that I took such a long shot.

I am there for the meat and experience and I just have learned to stop listening to some people.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:13:25 AM EDT
I went to a European pheasant hunt last winter. 12 guys stand around a 200x200 yard field while birds
are released from the middle of the field every 12 birds we would change positions.

We only shot 90 some birds, that means 50 or so got away.

Most people I told said "That's not hunting" I said no, but it was fun as hell.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:51:36 AM EDT

It's "hunting" if it's legal. There is no template for what is "proper/acceptable" hunting, save local game laws. The baiting of bears is a good example--in the areas where it is legal the cover and brush is completely inpenetrable and you would have exactly ZERO chance of seeing, let alone killing, a bear without the bait stations. The bison "hunts" are really just culls of excess animals in the herd. They are not overly "wild," but must be approached carefully or they will spook. As to killing them, they are very large, so multiple shots are not uncommon. It sounds as though the guy did fine at making sure he didn't wound and lose it.

There is constant controversy in the archery world where a small, but very vocal, group says compound bows are not "sporting" enough and only "stick bows" should be used. Most of us just think this should be left to the individual to obtain their pleasure and sport as they see fit and everyone else can STFU and MYOFB--as long as it's legal and ethical.

It's almost always the armchair hunters who criticize the methods and sports of others--never those who are actually out there doing stuff.

Just because it's legal and necessary as game management does not, to my mind, equal it being hunting. There are suburban areas where guys are brought in to kill deer with night vision and silencers, there are also coyotes and horses that are legally shot from helicopters. These may have legitimate herd management purposes but I don't think it qualifies as "hunting."

Correct--that is called "culling."

Hunting over a bowl of cheerios is pretty much culling, or maybe an "exercise in bladder control"

If you're not moving to find the game, or trying to set up in area where the game may pass through is it hunting? I don't know, I don't have a problem with calling in game, that requires a skill to get the buggers to come into you, but just putting out the picnic basket and waiting-->

Sitting in a semi-warm, sheltered blind over the only food pile in a ten mile radius isn't hunting to me, either. If your goal is to kill an animal to feed youself and your family, then I'm all for it, but the guys that brag about bagging big deer out of their blinds.........................
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:58:09 AM EDT
To me it isn't

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:03:51 AM EDT
And I have also noticed that alot of hunters are poor shooters and by their stories they are often using multiple shoots to bring down a deer or smalll game.

Then some of these guys gets upset when they hear I did a clean kill with just one bullet on a sick pet!

Kind of odd me thinks.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:07:09 AM EDT
Who gives a shit?

I don't care how you take your animal, and you don't care how I take mine. Deal?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:07:24 AM EDT
Some people claiim a prarie dog shoot is "hunting". Others think hiding in a blind overlooking a feeder is "hunting". Bull.

It isn't a hunt unless your prey knows you are there. So if the American Bison (not actually a buffalo) has no fear because of zero hunting pressure, it is still a hunt unless the limp wrists sporting .300 NonSuch Magnums launching 180 grain bullets at 3600 FPS are using laser rangefinders and ballistics tables.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:08:03 AM EDT
There's hunting, and then there's fat guy hunting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:11:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:

How about? -> If you run the risk of starving if you fail, then it is hunting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:11:55 AM EDT
Hunting (and fishing) shows are about as real as wrestling

I think they're funny as hell. I WATCHED one guy miss low. The round kicked up enough dust to practically obscure the elk he was shooting at. Next scene shows the happy hunter walking up on his "kill". Maybe he scared it to death.

The second one was a whitetail deer. (which he obviously gutshot) at the ending the "trophy deer" the grinning hunter is posing with is actually a mule deer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:12:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Some people claiim a prarie dog shoot is "hunting". Others think hiding in a blind overlooking a feeder is "hunting". Bull.

It isn't a hunt unless your prey knows you are there. So if the American Bison (not actually a buffalo) has no fear because of zero hunting pressure, it is still a hunt unless the limp wrists sporting .300 NonSuch Magnums launching 180 grain bullets at 3600 FPS are using laser rangefinders and ballistics tables.

That is just plain dumb. Sometimes they know you are there, sometimes they don't. Usually however if the game 'knows' you are there and has a 'sporting chance', you wind up with NO GAME.

It is hard to argue that you are only hunting when your prey gets away. No other animal has such squeamishness about taking prey for food.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:13:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Originally Posted By PBIR:

How about? -> If you run the risk of starving if you fail, then it is hunting.

No hunter I have ever met fit that definition in the last 40 years.

People hunt no a days because they enjoy it, not for the food.

SGatr15
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top