Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2001 4:22:54 PM EDT
Just can't break the zippo habit. My brother gave me one back in 66' when he went in the Army [he had three]. As convenient as they are, I just can't carry a bic lighter very long. But always have one in my tackle box or pack. Stick matches, the strike anywhere kind, are also handy to have close by.
Even at different times of my life when I was not smoking, I always carried "fire" in my pocket. Some kind of primal thing, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I just can't keep my Zippo full. I like the new windproof lighters. Nothing better for cigars.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I was always taught cigars should be lit with a wood match or at least a twenty. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Zippos rule!!!

They have a history,are a classic,collectable and I just can't imagine being without one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I smoked for about 11 years, and it was always a Zippo from day one.
I have disposible lighters different places, but I still have my Zippos.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
ST Dupont or Colibri.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone remember the old Ronson lighters?  They had a clear plastic body, usually with a logo or picture on it.  When I was a kid, the Ronson was considered a "backup" for your Zippo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#9]
beattie "jet". great lighters.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Zippo on the boat and bic @ home. Zippo's taste like crap, but it is very useful on a windy day bass fishing. so both.......peace
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just can't keep my Zippo full. I like the new windproof lighters. Nothing better for cigars.
View Quote

Actually the BEST thing for lighting cigars is a small micro torch. The ones made for small soldering jobs.  I have one that is butane however; the best one is a small torch that you put a bic lighter in the housing and it turns it into a 3/4" long torch flame.  They are awesome.  Since I smoke cigars about 4-5 times a year I don't carry a lighter.  I like zippos, but when lighting fireworks they get all gummed up with powder residue from the fuse.  So for fireworks I like Bic's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't smoke, but I carry a couple of Bics in my emergency kit.  I read an article on lighters in a American Survival, and they said that the Zippos are pretty reliable.  The disposal lighters heat up real quick so if you need it on for an extended period of time, it gets real hot. In an emergency, according to them you can take the flint out of a Bic and use it in a Bic. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#13]
You don't have to worry about Bics leaking fluid and ruining your pants. If it weren't for that problem they would be my "carry" lighter. :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I have Zippos and have for years but I'm not using like I used to.
Going back to matches for starting "warming" fires out in the brush. I'll pack the Zippo then when I need it it's out of fuel.
It's good when it works but in a emergency I can't depend on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a modest lighter collection, including several Zippos.
There are certain things in Life, to me, at least, that just go together.
 For instance, a Camel Filter needs to be fired up by a Zippo and enjoyed with very strong black coffee.
Especially enjoyable while on the Throne reading a Gun magazine...
There is a certain flavor to the Camel/Zippo combination that feeds my mental addiction.
I've got to quit.  Right after I go have a smoke...
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Zippo - I like the sound they make when you flick them open but I don't smoke so I use mine only for campfires.
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my Zippos, even when/if I quit smoking, I'll still carry fire (Primal thing with me to). I do keep a few disposables around for emergencys and when my Zippo runs out of fuel or flint when I don't have access to replacement. I'm inclined not to lose a Zippo, because it's a Zippo, not just some cheap piece of sh*# disposable. Also they're more rugged and dependable if your conscientious about replenishing fuel and flint. No, it won't light the first time you strike it every time, but it will light if there is fuel/flint. If a disposable decides not to light (has happened many times) even if there is fuel/flint your screwed, might as well toss it in the trash. Smokers tend to steal one another's disposable lighters ( myself excluded, never have), but if you don't give my Zippo back after borrowing it, I come looking for it. And hey I like the smell of Lighter fluid. I also think my cigerettes taste better being lit with a zippo over butane. My Zippos only leak if I overfill them, and if I do overfill it, I just light it and let it burn for few seconds to burn off excess fuel. That way you don't have to worry about leaks.

Seems your either a Zippo carrier or a disposable carrier. My opinion is that people who smoke and don't care for Zippos usually aren't up for the maintenance(actually refilling it and replacing flint when needed), actually they're just that lazy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Legend has it, you could trade a zippo for sex in the Philippines.  Never tried that myself, as U.S. military pay at the time had me akin to a god there.

I miss Olongapo.

[8P]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top