Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 9:15:34 AM EDT
Sportsman's Guide has these for $200. Ref. FX2K-65238 They  just came out in their Hot deals flyer. Does anyone have any experience with these or an opinion? I'm looking for some good quality general purpose/hunting binocs. These have some pretty cool features although I hope I'd never have a need for them like the IR detection port.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
i checked the web site and couldn't find any mention of your binos. nor do i ever get any mail or flyers from SG. if you could post some more details or a link to the item, that would be helpful.

i've had two pairs of zeiss east german mil binoculars over the past several years. if they are the same as what sg is selling, i'll be happy to share my experiences and thoughts.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I could only find them listed by the catalog number and they don't list any of the details. Here's what the flyer says:

Made by Carl Zeiss under special contract for the NVA(East German Army)

7X magnification, large 22mm ocular lens

FOV 485'@1000yds. (8degress,30minutes)

Exit pupil 5.72mm

Left and Right diopters adjustable from -3to +5

Nitrogen filled... waterproof,shockproof and fogproof

3-D Image

T-3Magnesium Flouride Lens

Anti-reflective multi-coating

Long 20mm eye relief

40mm Objective

13' min eye focus range

Ops temps. -35F to +120F

32.5 geometric luminosity

Measures 7 1/2"x3"

Rubber Armored Body

BaK-4 oversized porro prisms for an extremely wide FOV with depth perception

Equipped with a mil. scale range finding reticle

16.3 Twilight capability

They are marked NVA 7x40. They have flip down lens covers and a neck strap.They have an IR port on the side that detects IR illuminators. Pop in amber filters stored in the objective lens caps to enhance vision and contrast in hazy and harsh light. Weight 34oz. etc. etc.

Thanks for any info or advise you can give.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
OK  here's an ebay link that looks like the same one's exept the ones from SG seem to be in better shape and possibly a newer model.

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2113156152[/url]

Here's another link. I think these might be a closer match.
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1837602745[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Website called Deutche Optik has the same ones priced at $400!
I ordered a pair from SG, UPS website says they were delivered last Thursday, but I haven't seen them.......SG customer svc. looking into the matter............
SOMEBODY out there now has a pair, hope they like them....
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Fingers, I also received the flyer about a month ago and noticed the binoculars.  I forgot what the flyer had the special price listed at.  At SG with that item # it says $299, is it $299 or $200?  I would also like to buy a pair, but they are on backorder until June.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think these could be too old. There wouldn't have been a need for IR illumination detection back more than about 15 or 20 years would there? The ad says they are 70's or 80's vintage and have been in storage since then. They are listed as lightly used, in excellent shape for what thats worth.

They are $199.97 in the flyer I just received a couple of days ago. It may have been a Buyer's Club only flyer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
If these aren't what I'm looking for are there any binocs of this quality for $200 or less? Surplus is fine with me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
JU88   How many years ago was that?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://146.186.150.130/~me/ebay/edf.gif[/url]

there is a pic of the EDF 7x40. i belive it is the newest of the east german models. from what you wrote about the IR port, the filters, the reticle, and your other comments, it sounds as if they might be what sg is selling.

if such is the case, you  probably will want to order a pair. i don't think there is any binocular close to the optical quality for 200.00. there is one thing i'll mention to you though.

due to the age, i've seen cases where the binder in the rubber armor is starting to break down. when it gets wet, it can leave black stains on hands, clothes, etc. however, you can buy new armor for them at around 100.00 or so.

also, on the original EDFs the reticle was illuminated for night use. at some point the military began removing the radioactive elements before turning them over to the public. if you look in my pic, you can see the radioactive symbol near the right eye piece. i havent seen any of the illuminated ones for several years so i can't say if the sg model will have that feature.

even so, this 7 x 40 is an excellent binocular for general observation and is exceptionally good in low light. for main line, general use i think they are ideal. you can always supplement them with a pair of compact 10x or 12x if you need. at 200.00 i can't see how you'd be disappointed,
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info I'll give them a try and post the results when I get them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top