Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/21/2003 9:46:36 AM EDT
For the last year Independent Film Channel has been doing Samurai Saturday where they show the old Samurai movies, particularly Kurosawa's films such as "The Seven Samurai." Today there are running all the "Blind Swordsman" movies until 6pm. The best were the first ones that were shown very early this morning but they are all pretty good if you enjoy the genre.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:22:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 10:23:33 AM EDT by Moondog]
Blind Swordsman rocks! He kills about 30 people in each film. It's funny because he's such a badass, and no one figures it out until they're trying to keep their guts from spilling out! It's kind of wierd watching these film from a western point of view, because some of the logic behind their code of honor is stange. In one movie, this other samuri wants to fight him because he was considered the best until Zatoichi comes along, and that's the only way to find out. Of course Zatoichi has other business to attend to, so the other samuri assissts in the bloodbath until there's no more bad guys left standing. Then it's time to throw down! It's hard to believe Shintaro Katsu made 25 Blind Swordsman films in 11 years, then a 26th one in 1988!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:46:25 PM EDT
I have been watching Ichi on Saturdays for a few months now. Makes it hard to get my mowing done. They are kinda sappy but a lot more realistic than the flying Kung Fu guy sub-titled movies and you can pick up a few expressions in Japanese.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:55:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:56:32 AM EDT
Moondog, in the later ones they know his name rather well. It is a kickass series. Unfortunately, I was out at the paintball field and then went out to dinner and missed the marathon. I have been hoping to see some of the live action Lone Wolf and Cub as well.
Top Top