Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/28/2006 8:29:25 PM EDT
I was at Fry's the other night and was looking at the little shuttle cases they had. I am thinking about building a little system to put on my entertainment center to keep all my music and movies on. Use my TV as a monitor, the receiver for audio (obviously) and put a wireless network card on it to be able to send my newest downloads to it or surf the net from the TV. Anyone here do this already? What kind of interface should I use? Wireless keyboard/mouse or remote?

If anyone has this kind of setup, speak up! And post pics!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:37:41 PM EDT
Tag for incoming knowledge...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:44:12 PM EDT
Search for HTPC's

There is a lot of info out there on Home Theater PC's
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:54:00 PM EDT
tag for more info...want to see set ups...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:16 AM EDT
bump for morning crew
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:16:30 AM EDT
I don't use mine as a media center. It would work fine for that though. I have a shuttle system self built. I use it for everything as my main system. Got the carry bag and a LCD 19" with carry bag to go portable and do gaming.

I definitely recomend the shuttles for anyone who can build there own. I have a 200 gig inside it, decent video, and stock sound. For a multi media get the biggest HD you can afford, use onboard video but I would spring for the new soundblaster sound card or run optical output to a decent home theater system. Wireless keyborad/mouse is fine, I also like the windows media remotes for this system.

If you are using regular components currently, I would recommend going with a regular horizontal case that resembles your existing stuff and build it with similar internal components. Another advantage for the full size box is the larger capacity for HD's and power supply requirements.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:26:21 AM EDT
So my question being, why not just get a wireless media server?

i.e.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WXTF0/103-0046047-5695810?v=glance&n=172282

Granted I haven't played with one, but that would be a lower cost option, and only having one central CPU would be good to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:30:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 7:32:01 AM EDT by FatMan]
Go to www.denguru.com/2006/02/28/diy_hd_htpc_extravaganza_part2/

Denguru is in the process of building a Home Theater PC on one of those small form factor cases (I don't think it's a Shuttle.)

In part 1, they evaluated cases. Part 2 covers motherboard, CPU and RAM.

The nice thing here is that they are explaining the rationale behind the decisions. Maybe it will help you.

Good luck.

ps. I just built a gaming rig based on an AOpen XC Cube EX761. I like the small size. Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:39:54 AM EDT
I really did like my XPC, but when its power supply blew and took out the CPU, RAM, and mobo, it made me realize that there is no parts market for it. AFAIK, Shittle doesn't sell mobos for them as separate items; they didn't a year ago. In another thread, someone told me that there are mini-ITX motherboards out there now, so maybe that's changed in the last year. Back then, all I saw were the 1GHz ultra-cheap boards that were designed for the old Cyrix (I think) CPU.

I had to ship it to Shittle twice. The first time, they replaced the PS and claimed it was working -- like hell, if the CPU is fried you can bet the mobo is too, and it sure didn't work for me. I haven't been back since they returned it the second time; it's been sitting in a closet for the last year. So I don't know whether they fixed it properly the second time or not. Bastards.

Overall, if you don't mind having to replace the whole thing if anything goes wrong (once the warranty is up), then they're not a bad idea. Shittle's customer service is poor, IMHO; they couldn't possibly have tested it before they shipped it back, because if they had, they would have noticed that the motherboard was fried too. Just a lame attempt to get out of the warranty.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:54:19 AM EDT
I have built two Shuttle systems, one for my Son's Christmas present a couple of years ago, then one for myself. There was a problem with the PSUs as was mentioned earlier. Essentially they overloaded it, even if you didn't add any extra stuff like Sound or Video cards.

The new PSU is much better - I replaced mine because I was adding sound and video cards, my Son's died on him a couple of months ago, I bought the new one as a replacement -- fortunately, it didn'[t take out any other components.

I don't know if I would use one as a media center. They are actually quite loud, even if you replace the stock (NOISY!) fan with something better, its still quite noisy.

The newer stuff may be better, but the on-board audio had an annoying amount of noise picked up from things such as moving the mouse. A Createive add-on sound bboard fixed that. The on-board graphics are really not that wonderful. Good enough for normal use, but not really for Media or game plahying use, so you need to add a separate video card for that too.

As a general purpose PC I would recommend them - media center ... probably not.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:55:54 AM EDT
Get a Fireball. There badass, you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:10:57 AM EDT
tagged
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:14:46 AM EDT
Take a look at Media Portal for the front end software you need.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:31:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:33:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brouhaha:

Originally Posted By Ghostchild:
So my question being, why not just get a wireless media server?

i.e.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WXTF0/103-0046047-5695810?v=glance&n=172282

Granted I haven't played with one, but that would be a lower cost option, and only having one central CPU would be good to me.

I have that media server. It works great with no problems.

Set up was a bit of a pain at first (I couldn't get it to accept my WEP code), but now it works great.

Have you noticed any quality issues with video?

Also any intereference when you are someone is up and moving around? Cordless phones etc?

I had one to play with, but I took it back cause it was an impulse buy.
But I've been downloading/ripping more and more movies so I'm thinking about it again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:46:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:53:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brouhaha:

I never have tried any "high quality" movie rips. Most were encoded to fit on a CD, so they don't look too good on a 60" screen to begin with. I'll have to encode some larger files and see how it works.

I've had no problems with any interference, although I don't have any 2.4gHz phones. Only 5.8gHz.

I mostly use the server to play my mp3's from my living room.

Isn't there also a way, to stream from your PC's DVD player.

I need to look at it closer.
Top Top