Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 7:16:14 PM EDT
With a tear in my eye (thinking about all the guns I could buy for the money I am about to drop on a damn lawnmower), I wanted to ask you ladies and gentlemen of honor (people that like guns) if you know anything about ZTR's (thats Zero Turn Radious)lawnmowers.

I am looking for something on the LOW end, which will still run about $3000 to $4000 (damn).

Have it narrowed down (I think) to an Airens or a Dixon.  Any experience with either of these brands?

I know this is a bit far afield from the AR, but you folks have never let me down yet.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
As an experienced golf course greenskeeper, I highly reccomend the use of gravel for one's lawn..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm very disapointed Beer Slayer.....thought you were a possum man.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
HiCap, are you talking about a riding ZTR or walk behind? Also, what size pattern are you going for? Will this be used for commercial mowing? Hilly or mostly flat? I can answer your questions with a little background.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks GF...

Looking at a riding.

For my 1.5 acre yard -- just taking too damn long with present set up -- less time cutting grass = more time shooting.

No hills.

cutting deck on the two I was looking at are 42" if that is what you are asking me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked for Sears for a while a year or two ago selling lawnmowers. The ZTR we sold used two hydostatic tranmissons to turn the rear wheels in different directions when turning. If you don't have a whole lot of yard ornamnets then I can't see justifying the exspense.Also if your trying to make a shallow turn, not a 90< then they are "jerky" to drive. They have 2 of everything so your repair cost are going to be more exspensive. Also the deck width is not as wide as most riders.
I would recommend a standard rider if you have more than a acre of land, especially if there are long stright strecthes to be mowed. Also look for a PRESSURISED OILING SYSTEM that uses an oil filter like a car. Stay away from the old BRIGGS AND STRATTON "slinger" types, they are antiquated.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
For an 1 1/2 acre spread a '42 inch deck is ideal, you might want to look at a '48 if the money is nearly the same. Since you're just using this for your own yard and not going to do any commercial work both the Dixon and Ariens are fine mowers. If you want better quality and can stand a used mower check out the classifieds in the paper for used commercial ZTRs, there are usually a few for sale.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad owns a Lawn and garden dealership that sold Dixon and Ariens. Here's the long and short of it Dixon and Dixie Chopper used to be combined but seperated and did there own things, both doing ZTRs. It is our opinion Dixon is a better machine. Ariens is a very good amchine as well, equal, I'd say. There are companies that advertise they sell ZTRs but they are not TRUE ZTRs, wathc out for those. Another thing for manuverability and better cut get a model that has the deck under the body of the machine, not in front, this is not an issue on dixons or Ariens as every one we have seen is that type.

The low to mid range, most use mechanical cones to drive each wheel, these last quite awhile, especially if you dont tow anything but steering is more "jumpy". Upper end units use hydrolic pumps to steer and are VERY precise in steering. We used a 60" 20HP commercial dixon as our "demo" ($7500 5 years ago) You could mow around a dandilion and not hit it. They are WAY FUN to use, at least the big hydrolic ones are and are built like tanks.
You can get lots of accessories for them to.

Most engines on those machines have pressureized oil now, even alot of low end ones. Try to find one that has a Kohler engine, they are closly related to Onan engines and are better than Tecumseh or Briggs but NOT as good as Honda. Briggs are the bottom of the barrel these days.

Now, if you have flat lawn with few trees, flower beds etc. Ask your self if you REALLY need such a machine, most dont BUT if you buy quality now, you wont have to later, and hell, they are alot of fun!

Hope this helps!,
BrenLover
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Man I should go on Learn-a-word! My speeling sucked! [:)]
BrenLover
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Forget buying a mower, hire Jesus the gardener.  When he breaks down his brother Jose takes over.  No buying gas, no changing oil and an endless supply of spare parts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies folks -- going shopping tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
My aunt has a Dixon and it is a great mower, however I mow about an acre and I have a 19 and a half horse Sears riding mower with a 42" deck and it works great if you don't have a lot of stuff to mow around. I bought the Sears mower on sale for $1300.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Snapper ZR2000 20hp Briggs powered machine, it has a 48" deck that hangs under the frame and steers with a joystick.  I like it for trimming and going through a small group of trees that my bigger tractor can't go through. It is a heavy built machine. I wish it had cast iron sheaves though, as the steel ones wear out they get as sharp as a scalpel. I don't like them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top