Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Great car great idea but its TOO HEAVY!
GVW is around 3750...Geesh what a pig.
I'll take the C-6 @3100lbs.
Yes I am a Ford guy too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I want a muscle-car/hot-rod, not a sports-car.

This will fit the bill very nicely at 450HP/450ft-lbs or more.

Had a 2002 'Vette - very fast, even with 350HP, but got "ho-hum" quickly.

I'll be replaceing this.

Dodge RAM SRT-10:
- 500HP/525ft-lb V-10 (same engine as Viper – 430HP/460ft-lb at the rear-wheels)
- 6-speed manual with Hurst shifter (same transmission as Viper)
- Dana-60 rear-end
- 22" wheels with Perelli Scorpion Zero's
- Infinity audio system (amp/sub-woofer/5 speakers)
- K&N FIPK

www.lhup.edu/dfisher/srt1001.jpg
www.lhup.edu/dfisher/srt1002.jpg
www.lhup.edu/dfisher/srt1003.jpg
www.lhup.edu/dfisher/srt1004.jpg
www.lhup.edu/dfisher/srt1005.jpg
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
On my top five list of desired material things.  Somewhere after a bigger house but before class III
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I WILL have one!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like flavor of the month for you......if you got tired of the Vette, what makes you think you won't tire of a Mustang?

I'd get it if I had a garage to park it in forever.  It will certainly be worth quite a bit 20yrs from now with ultra low mileage.

Other than that....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like flavor of the month for you......if you got tired of the Vette, what makes you think you won't tire of a Mustang?
I buy them, drive them and enjoy them until I get tired of them, and then get rid of them.

I'd get it if I had a garage to park it in forever.  It will certainly be worth quite a bit 20yrs from now with ultra low mileage.
Why would you not want to enjoy a vehicle like this?

Other than that...
Guess hot cars just aren't your thing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Needs a hood scoop.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quite the contrary.....however

You have the Vette and sold it, right?

Now I assume you are gonna sell the SRT-10?

So you will then have a Mustang....

It might be different if you were ACCUMULATING them...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing I accumulate are NFA weapons.

Cars take up too much room.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing I accumulate are NFA weapons.

Cars take up too much room.

So my point remains....

It appears to be the flavor of the month.

I would either stick with the SRT-10, or move to a car that will satisfy the urge NOT to transition to the next depreciable FLAVOR OF THE MONTH.....

Like maybe a Ruf Turbo or a Callaway Corvette...

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought that they were talking about competing with the corvette and viper with this thing a while back. That HP/weight ratio ont come close to running with those. The price does reflect it though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought that they were talking about competing with the corvette and viper with this thing a while back.

That was the plan.  To have a power-to-weight on par with the ZO6....

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought that they were talking about competing with the corvette and viper with this thing a while back.

I don't know.

The Vette and Viper are true sports cars.

The GT500 is more of a muscle car and trying to make it fill a true sports car role might tend to be difficult.

Although priced much higher, I believe the GT  is the Vette/Viper competition from Ford.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.

The GT500 is more of a muscle car and trying to make it fill a true sports car role might tend to be difficult.

Although priced much higher, I believe the GT  is the Vette/Viper competition from Ford.

The GT is the Ferrari/Lambo competition from Ford.  I think the Viper/Vette are a little out of their league with that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.

That statement was from the lead Ford designer/engineer in charge of the GT500 project.  His statement was we are shooting to have a power-to-weight ratio that rivals the best the Corvette has to offer.

This was captured in all the rags.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Ugly!  Too blocky looking.  I'll take a Vette, '02 Firebird Firehawk, or '02 Camaro SS before I'd ever buy that.  If you want a muscle car you can find a '70 chevelle SS454 with matching numbers for less than that thing.  Can't argue with performance though.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#17]
That Shelby would be perfect if it had a Big Block Chevy under the hood
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Beautiful car but the tests I have seen have it running mid 12's in the 1/4. That is horrible. I'll take an 06 Z06.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Beautiful car but the tests I have seen have it running mid 12's in the 1/4. That is horrible. I'll take an 06 Z06.

2006 Z06 Corvette (with 1Z2 option): $72,000

2007 Shelby Mustang: $40,000

It better be a better performer!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I think it looks great but I'd rather see it make power via displacement and aggressive engine tuning rather than via forced induction.  How about a 6.0L V-8 with 4V/cyl, variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, a forged rotating assembly, and a 7k+ rpm redline.  ETA: Don't forget the direct injection.

A high-tech engine would help justify paying $40k for a Mustang.

Supercharging is a cheap and efficient way to make power but it's not as interesting from a mechanical standpoint, IMHO.  After all, you can achieve higher HP numbers than this GT500 with minor mods to an '03-'04 Cobra.  $2k spent on a cat-back exhaust, engine tuning, smaller diameter s/c pulley, and a cold-air intake will get you ~440-450 HP at the rear wheels or about 515-530 at the crank.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I think it's pretty cool.
Too bad I can't afford one...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think it looks great but I'd rather see it make power via displacement and aggressive engine tuning rather than via forced induction.  How about a 6.0L V-8 with 4V/cyl, variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, a forged rotating assembly, and a 7k+ rpm redline.  ETA: Don't forget the direct injection.

Superchargering is a cheap and efficient way to make power but it's not as interesting from a mechanical standpoint, IMHO.  After all, you can achieve higher HP numbers than this GT500 with minor mods to an '03-'04 Cobra.  $2k spent on a cat-back exhaust, engine tuning, smaller diameter s/c pulley, and a cold-air intake will get you ~440-450 HP at the rear wheels or about 515-530 at the crank.

Apply those same mods to a 465hp GT500 and you have a 600hp GT500.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Supercharging is a cheap and efficient way to make power but it's not as interesting from a mechanical standpoint, IMHO.  After all, you can achieve higher HP numbers than this GT500 with minor mods to an '03-'04 Cobra.  $2k spent on a cat-back exhaust, engine tuning, smaller diameter s/c pulley, and a cold-air intake will get you ~440-450 HP at the rear wheels or about 515-530 at the crank.

You're assuming the GT500 engine will not already be tuned to a higher level (set up more aggressively) from the factory than was the '03-'04 Cobra.

Even if that ends up being the case, however, I still find forced induction to be less impressive of a solution to making power than a larger displacement, greater cylinder-count, higher-tech engine.

Ferarri, Lamborghini, BMW, Aston Martin, agree with me even if Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and Jaguar do not.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Mustangs weren't made to compete or beat Corvettes, now they do. It's a good move on GM's part to get rid of the Camaro and Firebird, they would only embarrass the name if they still produced them.

Sheeeeeiiiiiiit, an LS2-powered F-Body would SMOKE the new Mustang GT for the same money.

ETA:  Although they still probably wouldn't sell worth a shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're assuming the GT500 engine will not already be tuned to a higher level (set up more aggressively) from the factory than was the '03-'04 Cobra.

Even if that ends up being the case, however, I still find forced induction to be less impressive of a solution to making power than a larger displacement, greater cylinder-count, higher-tech engine.

Ferarri, Lamborghini, BMW, Aston Martin, agree with me even if Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and Jaguar do not.  

I have to admit that my dream car would be a modern version of the Boss 429 with a big-block 8.0 liter putting out 550+ hp.  Ford has taken the modular engine about as far as they can and there are rumours about a big block "hurricane" engine in the works.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mustangs weren't made to compete or beat Corvettes, now they do. It's a good move on GM's part to get rid of the Camaro and Firebird, they would only embarrass the name if they still produced them.

Sheeeeeiiiiiiit, an LS2-powered F-Body would SMOKE the new Mustang GT for the same money.

That's what the GTO is for
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#29]
GTO in a second. Never was a Ford guy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Idiots put an iron 5.4L block and a roots blower in it. Soulda used aluminum and twin screw.

Other than that, its ok. I like Corvettes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Idiots put an iron 5.4L block and a roots blower in it. Soulda used aluminum and twin screw.

Ford used an iron block to keep the cost down and the jury is still out on the blower.  We wont know which one they will use until the Shelby Cobra shows up on the showroom.  Even if it is a roots type Kenne Bell will have a twin screw for aftermarket.  There are a lot of 700rwhp 03/04 Kenne Bell Cobras out there kicking vette butt.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No cheating:  I said for the same money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ford used an iron block to keep the cost down and the jury is still out on the blower.  We wont know which one they will use until the Shelby Cobra shows up on the showroom.  Even if it is a roots type Kenne Bell will have a twin screw for aftermarket.  There are a lot of 700rwhp 03/04 Kenne Bell Cobras out there kicking vette butt.

I know they used an iron block to save money. However the cheapest aluminum block is $4k plus the cost of putting it in, which means anyone who buys the car had better not mind its 58/42* weight distribution.

* Off the top of my head, from an article I read in a car rag. May vary +- a point or two.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that it is much harder to make 500HP out of 2.2 liters, and keep everything together while still being a daily driver. If that is cheaper and easier I dont know what my crowd is doing wrong!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#35]
How long will a Ferrari engine go without serious overhaul or replacement? 20k miles? A stock blown cobra engine, or a lightly modified one, could probably make it 200k miles, and you can replace the entire engine for the price of a Ferrari valve tune up.

There is a reason that American cars use large V8s and sometimes blowers to make power. Its so it can still be priced reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How long will a Ferrari engine go without serious overhaul or replacement? 20k miles? A stock blown cobra engine, or a lightly modified one, could probably make it 200k miles, and you can replace the entire engine for the price of a Ferrari valve tune up.

Bingo. Look at the prices of those cars when they get 20 some odd thousand miles on them. It usually plumits due to the expensive maintence that is on the horizon. Which Ferarri was it where you had to pull the engine to change the timing belt.... every 15-20K.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

There is a reason that American cars use large V8s and sometimes blowers to make power. Its so it can still be priced reasonable.

I've got no problem with big V-8s.  The 7.0L monster in the upcoming C6 Z06 is great.  Unlike muscle car engines from the '60s, though, it combines new technology with large displacement.  Check out the titanium rods, for example.

I like to see a combination of displacement, greater cylinder counts (V-10s and V-12s), more valves, forged rotating assemblies, high compression, and high rpm capability rather than a blower.

For example, let's consider the engines powering the performance luxury cars from both Mercedes and BMW.  The latest M5 engine is a 5.0L V-10 making 500 HP.  It revs to 8,250 rpm, uses magnesium in the block to decrease weight, has variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust valves, and each cylinder has its own throttle butterfly.  It's a neat engine but a bit too small in displacement, IMHO.

The current Mercedes E55, on the other hand, combines a blower and a 5.5L V-8 to make 469 HP.  This combination gives much better low-end power and torque than the M5 but isn't as impressive from a mechanical standpoint.  Also, if the M5 were at least 6.5L in displacement, the relatively weak bottom end of the power curve would disappear.  Hey, if you get a blower, I get more cubes.

What I'm trying to say is that, given a choice between these options to make the same HP:
1) Technology
2) Displacement
3) Forced Induction
4) Any combination of the above

I'd choose a combo of 1) and 2).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got no problem with big V-8s.  The 7.0L monster in the upcoming C6 Z06 is great.  Unlike muscle car engines from the '60s, though, it combines new technology with large displacement.  Check out the titanium rods, for example.

I like to see a combination of displacement, greater cylinder counts (V-10s and V-12s), more valves, forged rotating assemblies, high compression, and high rpm capability rather than a blower.

For example, let's consider the engines powering the performance luxury cars from both Mercedes and BMW.  The latest M5 engine is a 5.0L V-10 making 500 HP.  It revs to 8,250 rpm, uses magnesium in the block to decrease weight, has variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust valves, and each cylinder has its own throttle butterfly.  It's a neat engine but a bit too small in displacement, IMHO.

The current Mercedes E55, on the other hand, combines a blower and a 5.5L V-8 to make 469 HP.  This combination gives much better low-end power and torque than the M5 but isn't as impressive from a mechanical standpoint.  Also, if the M5 were at least 6.5L in displacement, the relatively weak bottom end of the power curve would disappear.  Hey, if you get a blower, I get more cubes.

What I'm trying to say is that, given a choice between these options to make the same HP:
1) Technology
2) Displacement
3) Forced Induction

No one is denying that the new Z06, M5 and E55 are awesome automobles, but they are far from being affordable for most car buyers.  And you do realize that there are 1000hp twin-turbo Vipers and vettes out there.  With enough money you can have displacement and forced induction.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) Technology
2) Displacement
3) Forced Induction

No one is denying that the new Z06, M5 and E55 are awesome automobles, but they are far from being affordable for most car buyers.  And you do realize that there are 1000hp twin-turbo Vipers and vettes out there.  With enough money you can have displacement and forced induction.

Sure, all of the most powerful racing and non-production custom engines use forced induction (Top Fuel, for ex.) but for a high-performance production street car making 400-600 HP, I'd rather do it without FI.

This is not considering money, obviously, b/c it IS more expensive to do it this way.  Rather, only considering what is mechanically the most interesting, IMHO.

BTW - If somebody can dig up the info, F1 engines back in the '80s made 1,200 HP from a 1.5L turbo V-6 .  Something like 60 psi of boost, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) Technology
2) Displacement
3) Forced Induction

Sure, all of the most powerful racing and non-production custom engines use forced induction (Top Fuel, for ex.) but for a high-performance production street car making 400-600 HP, I'd rather do it without FI.

This is not considering money, obviously, b/c it IS more expensive to do it this way.  Rather, only considering what is mechanically the most interesting, IMHO.

BTW - If somebody can dig up the info, F1 engines back in the '80s made 1,200 HP from a 1.5L turbo V-6 .  Something like 60 psi of boost, IIRC.

I believe it was 91CI, about 1300-1400HP at 70 some odd lbs of boost durring qualifying. They only ran about 45PSI in the actual races though.

As for your list, I will take 1, and 3 which will allow me to still get 30+ MPG. You wont get that from a big bore gas guzzler.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No cheating:  I said for the same money.

Hey, you know you can get 04 GTO's for under 24k now, right?  Sure it's not the 400hp monster the 05 is, but it still has enough power to smoke a Mustang GT.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the new Shelby Mustang is pretty hot.  I'm waiting to see what the sale price will be.  Also, I'd like to see something different in the taillights.  If the price is right, then one of these is deffinately on the list of things to get.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I think the new Shelby Mustang is pretty hot.  I'm waiting to see what the sale price will be.  Also, I'd like to see something different in the taillights.  If the price is right, then one of these is deffinately on the list of things to get.

It looks like the price will be $40k with a $10k dealer markup.  I will probably wait until the motor on my 03 Cobra wears out and replace it with a VT 302 stroker, Crower Stage III cams and Whipple supercharger.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top