Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:57:27 PM EDT
According to weight classes:

Welterweights- No question. Matt Hughes. The prowess to impose his will and the "slam" he throws down on most opponents is legendary. On an old fight I believe he gave out a thank you to Benchmade Knives as a sponsor (please correct me if otherwise). A big 'ol +1 in my gnarly world of keeping track. Royce Gracie aint got a snowballs chance against this guy.

Middleweights- Rich Franklin. He has possibly the toughest fight of his carrer coming up in March with David Loiseau. I said the same thing when he fought Nate "The Rock" Quarry, look how that turned out. David has a mean standup and elbows that would take out a sabertoothed ex-wife. Rich is a former Cincinnati high school teacher, I call this an even fighththeavyweights-
Heavyweights-Andrei Arlovski is a rattlesnake waiting to snip at your descended testical. Although Andrei is not my fav by any means, I hope Tim Sylvia has a better chance at taking the title shot. Good luck Tim, you'll need it.

YMMV, just my meager means at looking at the UFC after a little over a year enjoying the sport. And of course it just takes the right strike here and there to make a difference on how the scrap turns out.

What say you fellers?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Chuck Liddel, and for some reason Tim Sylvia.

i also like the arrogent Nick Diaz- the guys a year younger than me and look where he is. i like his boxing and jiujitsu skills.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
According to weight classes:

Welterweights- No question. Matt Hughes. The prowess to impose his will and the "slam" he throws down on most opponents is legendary. On an old fight I believe he gave out a thank you to Benchmade Knives as a sponsor (please correct me if otherwise). A big 'ol +1 in my gnarly world of keeping track. Royce Gracie aint got a snowballs chance against this guy.

Agreed, but GSP runs a VERY close second......

Middleweights- Rich Franklin. He has possibly the toughest fight of his carrer coming up in March with David Loiseau. I said the same thing when he fought Nate "The Rock" Quarry, look how that turned out. David has a mean standup and elbows that would take out a sabertoothed ex-wife. Rich is a former Cincinnati high school teacher, I call this an even fight

Agreed again. The Loiseau fight has me seriosly thinking about paying for the Pay per view.....

Lightheavyweights- Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell. Pure and simple, this man is the epitome of not needing to carry a pistol for protective means. Chuck Norris would need a 128 count box of tampons and some serious facial reconstruction after reconciling a debt with this guy. Chuck knocked out Renato “Babalu” Sobral like he took his parking space at clarinet practice, and showed Randy "The Natural" Couture what's gonna happen if you're even thinking about voting for Hillary. Twice.

Agreed again.

Heavyweights-Andrei Arlovski is a rattlesnake waiting to snip at your descended testical. Although Andrei is not my fav by any means, I hope Tim Sylvia has a better chance at taking the title shot. Good luck Tim, you'll need it.

I really thought Frank Mir was the next coming, really disappointed in his last fight.

YMMV, just my meager means at looking at the UFC after a little over a year enjoying the sport. And of course it just takes the right strike here and there to make a difference on how the scrap turns out.

What say you fellers?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Nick also, always respected his trash talking to the guys he fought. Diego Sanchez gave him a run for his $$.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Agreed, but GSP runs a VERY close second......

..He had his chance at the title once, Matt wrenched his arm like it owed him money though. Not sure how a second chance at the belt would turn out, and Matt has never said anything about a rematch, which could be imenent if  GSP beats BJ Penn in the upcoming bout. GO AMERICA!!

..side note: that Canadian contingent is TOUGH though!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That French-Canadian guy. He is amazing.
I dont much like Liddell cause hes nothing but a simple boxer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Randy Couture.  Yeah, he's retired, but his first win over Chuck Liddel was a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
RICH FRANKLIN - that dude is a badass, and he is very down to earth. Not to mention he is pretty smart.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That French-Canadian guy. He is amazing.
I dont much like Liddell cause hes nothing but a simple boxer.

I believe Liddell is also quite a good wrestler, but Chuck knows what the crowd likes. The crowd wants to see knock outs. So he stands up and gives the crowd what they want.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know that I have favorites, but I do seriously enjoy watching people I dislike getting their asses handed to them. Such as Josh Koscheck catching that shin on his chin late in the 3rd, or Frank Trigg getting choked like a bitch on multiple occasions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
For new guys I like Jeff Monson. I think he is going to bring back some of the submission stuff to the forefront.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I will have to say Matt Hughes as my Favorite. The Rich Franklin.  I don't care for liddel. Graet fighter but I don't care for him. I really Like Nick Diaz. His BJJ is something else. I love to watch him fight.  Hopefully he can string a set of wins together.  Last but not least I like Chris Leben. Just something about watching his fight .Very intertaining. . Brandon Vera is a good up and comeing fighter that Chuck Lidell needs to be watching ....... There are many more ...... But thats anough. I will do the PPV next sat... warDawg
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Pride FC has better fighters
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Matt Hughes is tough to beat, but it has been done. BJ Penn rear-naked choked him rather easily, but that was before Matt becmae champ.

If you seriously think Matt will have an easy time against Royce, think again.
Matt Hughes has some problems with his guard and coupled with the fact that Matt isn't good against a BJJ who has mount or side control.

A lack of talented Heavyweights in the UFC makes Arlovsky seem so unbeatable.
Arlovsky's going to pride after the Tim Silvia fight regardless of the outcome, where he'll eventually get destroyed by Feydor. Hell, I think Cro-Cop could take'm!

St. Pierre vs. Hughes is the fight I want to see. This Royce vs. Matt thing is foreplay AFAIC.

Franklin and Liddell have both lost in the past, but I expect them to always bring the whoopass!

HS1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]

or Frank Trigg getting choked like a bitch on multiple occasions.

LMAOh,
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#16]
My favorite fighers are Fedor, the mans a beast. and Igor, for such a short guy was a great HW fighter 5'8" of ownage.

Also like Crocop and Peter Aerts. Some good highkick KOs. I think Aerts isnt in his prime anymore though.

Ramon Dekkers was a great K1 figher that I liked, he's retired though. Google the Ramon Dekkers highlight video and you'll see why I like him.

^ I dont think any of those guys are UFC, PRIDE>UFC.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Get some!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Another Hughes and Liddell fan here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Liddell, Couture, Franklin, GSP, Wanderlei Silva, Cro Cop, and Fedor are fighters I enjoy watching.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Where can I catch Pride fights? PPV only? Curious - I'd like to catch a few.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I see them every once in a while on ESPN2.  IMO, nowhere near as exciting as UFC.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

PPV and Fox Sports Net has an hour long show that has a few fights.  I think the FSN show airs monthly.  IIRC, they edit out some parts that are more violent and they don't show the whole fight either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#23]
That Huges lives near my uncle. My cousin wrestled him a couple of years back and used one of his best manuvers to get a couple of points, while in the process pissing him off just before he was used as a mop.

I hear he is a really nice guy though. All buisiness when it comes down to it though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
i like George Rush stPierre, fucker is insane. nic diaz , like him to for some reason, and rich franklin.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#25]
  So who do you guys think will win betwen Arlovski and Silvia in their upcoming fight? I'm going to say Arlovski in the first round, just like last time except hopefully with a knockout instead of a heel hook.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I like almost all them. Would be easier to list the ones I dont like. Koscheck I dont like at all he looked like a punk on Ultimate fighter when he sprayed water on Leben. I hate Nick Diaz, He reminds me of a wannabe gang banger. Not a Frank Trigg fan either and to be honest I dont know why.
If I had to pick a favorite either Liddell or Franklin cant deside.
Ohhh and the Hughes Gracie fight. Gracie in his prime I think would have given Hughes one hell of a fight but Im going with Hughes now. Gracie is just to old
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I like almost all them. Would be easier to list the ones I dont like. Koscheck I dont like at all he looked like a punk on Ultimate fighter when he sprayed water on Leben. I hate Nick Diaz, He reminds me of a wannabe gang banger. Not a Frank Trigg fan either and to be honest I dont know why.
If I had to pick a favorite either Liddell or Franklin cant deside.
Ohhh and the Hughes Gracie fight. Gracie in his prime I think would have given Hughes one hell of a fight but Im going with Hughes now. Gracie is just to old

IIRC, Royce is only 39 and Hughes is 32.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top