Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/6/2007 3:17:47 AM EDT
My new PC had a trial of Norton, which I used for about half of the trial period before it would no longer download/install updates. Not a real good selling point when the software craps out during the trial period. Guess what Norton....I don't care to find a "fix"....this is the 2nd bad experience with Norton and as such, will never use their products again.

I formerly used McAffee and their suit of products, which seemed to work fine. I almost bought their suit of products, but figured I'd check in here before doing that.

What would you recommend for the best bet on effective, bundled software, such as what Norton & McAffee offers? I'm running a new quad core PC with DSL and Vista OS.

What would you recommend?

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:23:55 AM EDT
Nod32, hands down.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:30:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/6/2007 4:35:09 AM EDT by M4]

Originally Posted By Punani:
Nod32, hands down.

Just Googled it. Interesting....from a Slovakian comany.

Why the recommendation? And do you use their Eset Smart Security suite, or just the anti-virus?

Anyone know if the firewall that comes with Vista is sufficient protection, or is it a good idea to have a better piece of software?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:38:56 AM EDT
I've been using Zone Alarm for years, with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:44:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/6/2007 4:47:18 AM EDT by Punani]

Originally Posted By M4:

Originally Posted By Punani:
Nod32, hands down.

Just Googled it. Interesting....from a Slovakian comany.

Why the recommendation? And do you use their Eset Smart Security suite, or just the anti-virus?

Anyone know if the firewall that comes with Vista is sufficient protection, or is it a good idea to have a better piece of software?

I just use the virus part, the normal download.
It runs pretty much in the background, doesn't pop up with stupid prompts, like Norton can, and it uses very minimal resources. I switched all my work computers here to it.
Between that, Windows Firewall and Firefox's pop-up blocker (standard) all my networked computers run absolutely problem free.

It's a great program. The $34 a year is totally worth it, IMHO.

-eta: Download the 30 day trial and see for yourself!
Top Top