Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2002 11:27:51 AM EDT
Here we are by the thousands talking about GUNS.
What are you doing to keep them?

[b]How many of you are NRA Members?
If not, why not?[/b]

I'm donating $25 a month through payroll deduction in addition to paying off my Extended Pay Life Membership.
My commitment is to forgo any more "purchases" until my Life Membership is paid for.

The challenge is for all, or as many as possible to at least get a 1 year NRA membership, or, if not with the NRA, with another group that supports and defends the 2nd Amendment.

The Liberals are coming!  DEFEND YOURSELVES.
Who will answer the call?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Life member, not voting yet however. I joined through my local organization, CSSA.

I pay $25 a quarter, I should be paying for three years I think.

If i get rich, I will join GOA too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been a regular member for over 10 years.

I would not pay for a Life Membership because I might want to one day cancel my membership in response their policies.

[b]WHY?!![/b]  Because in reality the NRA seems to be in some type of [i]”business,”[/i] not  gun rights. And they market us members to all sorts of other businesses. Recently, I got a video tape in the mail as some sort of NRA sponsored opt-out video club! What a waste!
I quickly sent the d@mned thing back so I did't start receiving a video-a-month!

It seems that every other month they’ve got another mass-market mailing going out for another money-grabbing racket!  NONSENSE!

How much of that money do you think goes to the ILA??? And to top if all off, they are often too conciliatory on gun right issues.

I support the NRA, but I’m wary of them . . . . .
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I am just a regular member of NRA. What is the difference bt. voting and non-voting members?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Three-year membership at present

Scott

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Regular member for 12 years.  Not ready for the lifetime plunge yet.  However, I am buying memberships for my wife and two boys this year.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
see sig

Mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Annual member.

Most of my donations go directly to ILA though.  Also member of Virginia Citizen's Defense League.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]

NRA Life Member

Golden Eagle
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Was yearly member, recently switched to Extended Pay Life.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
NRA life.

Also, I just switched my 16 yr old daughter from junior membership to the Life Member quarterly payment plan.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Annual member. I believe the NRA could do a hell of alot more to represent its members. They seem to partially give in whenever theres a new piece of antigun legislation being proposed. They seem to be more or less only there to represent hunters and hunting weapons, not all firearms. But like thebeekeeper1 says they are the only group with enough clout to represent us.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Voting Life Member, have been a long time, so is my son (he paid his own).

Why aren't more people responding to this., if it were a woman or Isreal issue, it would be maxed by now!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Annual Member.

Going to make that extended life as soon as I can find a new job.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
NRA Life, SAF Life, and GSSF Life.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Regular member for the past year.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently joined the GOA. After research it seemed that they were more interested in reinstating/defending my firearms rights. It seemed to me that the NRA is more into business and selling stuff than actively lobbying on my, personal, behalf.
Has anyone else come to the same conclusion? Is there another organization out there that will fight tooth and nail for me and my firearms rights?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I am Junior member and I just signed up this year.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Annual member right now, and vice president of my local NRA affiliated club.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Just anted up for my first annual NRA membership in many years last month. Used to be a member when a kid and more active in the shooting sports, then let it lapse while I dove into school then work. Not sure about life membership, though the NRA certainly does seem to be the only game in town with any horsepower for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Life Member
Donate money through bi-weekly payroll deduction.
And I'm really sick of the endless stream of junk mail from NRA...all wanting money.

How much does Wayne make in a year?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It seemed to me that the NRA is more into business and selling stuff than actively lobbying on my, personal, behalf.
Has anyone else come to the same conclusion
View Quote

annual member.
I agree on them being like one big 'ronco' marketing commercial, weary of dozens of pieces of mail weekly asking for more, more, more.

they are mildly reactive and not usually proactive on most issues, and seem to be always looking for the common ground of compromise, rather than reading the Second and standing by it.
they jump on things like the election contributions issue because it will hit them hard in the wallet.
i think they need a change of top management, the current people in charge don't realize that it is not about hunting ducks.  they have the clout, but are afraid of using it - it would not be good for business.  why are they not organizing functions like the million gun-owner march on d.c, helping organize peaceful resistance in states like Kali and N.J. where the RKBA is a memory, and still being attacked?

i figure i will give them another year or two and if they don't come down hard on restoring the Second, something that i think they should be doing now, i'm out of there.
also memner of GOA, SAF and more.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Lifer.

PaulLaVanway originally wrote:

What is the difference bt. voting and non-voting members?
View Quote

I believe that it takes five years as a regular member or a lifetime membership to vote.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Been a life member for about 14 years now.  NRA Life Membership and Alabama Hunting and Fishing License were my 16th birthday present from my dad!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#27]
annual member on and off last 20 yrs. I remember reading some of their inspirational "...most restrictive ever..."mail in the late 60's and it's always the same thing. It occures to me that the anti-gun orgs. are really in it for the money. It's very expensive to live in D.C. and i'm sure the Brady's don't live anywhere near as dumpy a house as i have to, so if the anti's are making a living at it...why should i delieve the "pro's" arn't doing the same thing? The NRA does a good job at promoting MANY diffrent programs, but i still get pissed when they bend over for  "compromise" legislation. I also belong to: NYSRPA, N.Y. military arms coll., Continental arms coll.,AGA, and two local "sportsmans" clubs. next i will join JPFO they have a no bullshit approach.
[soap]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I signed up for a year in 98 and then after hearing about all the BS gun control crap I decided to go easy pay life.
My only complaints are
1. Some of you guys already said it "They seem to be more for the hunters and antique collecters" than for us AR AK people.
2. They are usually tring to sell you something
3.They seem to want to compromise a little to much.
Of course their the only ones who have the political muscle so I`ll contiue to support them
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I am a Annual Member.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Life member and so is my son with a Jr.Life membership.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Life member, why aren't all of you?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Life member, but I've gotten so tired of the constant mailings that I don't even open a lot of them anymore.  I think GOA is a more effective organization.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope, not a member. I think the NRA are a collective bunch of pussies. There is NO COMPROMISE on any of our rights. I will not send anyone money to assist in effecting our enslavement and death, period.

"Contemporary scholars have little explored the preconditions of genocide. Still less have they asked whether a society's weapons policy might be one of the institutional arrangements that contributes to the probability of its government engaging in some of the more extreme varieties of outrage. Though it is a long step between being disarmed and being murdered—one does not usually lead to the other— it is nevertheless an arresting reality that not one of the principal genocides of the twentieth century, and there have been dozens, has been inflicted on a population that was armed." — Daniel D. Polsby, Washington University Law Quarterly, Volume 73, Number 3, Fall 1997
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#35]
12 year member.  I really should get a life membership though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been an annual NRA member for over 20 years now. I probably could have saved a bunch of money by going life long ago... one of these days I'll get around to it. Also been a GOA member for 5 years and counting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Easy Pay [b]Life Member[/b] of the NRA.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Been an annual member for about 30 years.

I think they should use the money to buy off politicians instead of sending me crap in the mail all the time.

And how much did that video cost??

Talk about a waste!!

I will always support them-but quit wasting our resources====MONEY......on me!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]
F$%K THE NRA!

I'm joining JPFO and GOA. The NRA lied to us about Bush. Now, they're complaining about campaign finance reform, when it was their darling Bush that signed the f$#king piece of legislation. In the last American Rifleman I got, Charleston Heston was whining about it, but he failed to mention Bush once in his whole article.

The NRA gets what they deserve for supporting the lesser of two evils. I will not give my hard earned money to an orgnaization that actively supports the "status quo", when I would like to be able to go to my gun store and get a f$#king MP5!

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm curious what a big, strong, he-man non-pussy such as yourself does to not compromise on any of our rights?  In other words, what do you [u][b]do[/b][/u] above and beyond the "keyboard commando" ridicule of the "NRA collective bunch of pussies?"  Are you voting from the rooftops?   . . . or just trying to justify not spending $35.00/yr.?  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Why give $35 a year to an organization that doesn't defend our rights? It seems like they only thing they are capable of doing is buying us more time. That doesn't seem to productive to me.

As to what the gentlemen above does, I don't know. What do I do? I try to educate my friends and other people around me about guns and why inanimate objects are not dangerous to society...PEOPLE ARE! Giving my money to a bunch of Washington lawyers doesn't seem to be working beekeeper.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Currently 3-yr membership.  Also GOA and 2nd Amendment Foundation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope...not a member

Am a member of CSSA ( Canadian Shooting Sports Association)

Was a member of NFA...but they are infighting at the moment so I am waiting to see what happens when the dust settles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Those that are members:
Great.
e-mail the NRA and tell them how you want your funds spent wisely.

Those that are not members:
It would be helpful if you were, as this is our major player on our behalf.
e-mail the NRA and explain why you aren't a member and what it would take to make you one.

We have a strong presence here at AR15.com.
Maybe a gentle reminder that the Black Rifle is the symbol of Freedom would coax them to represent us and our interests more readily.

Please inform the NRA where you stand.

I'm back with a link:
[url]http://www.nra.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I have been a member since 1999 and in Oct of 2001 became a paid in full Life Member!
And I got the awsome jacket!

I also have 4 family members that are annual members.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a Patron member, the next step is Benefactor.  Too bad it doesn't indicate my shooting skills.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I have been a member for over 10 years now and have noticed that the NRA has exhibited an attitude of wanting to keep the status quo. The only reason I renew now is so I get into fun shows for free without having to stand in long ticket lines.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I just joined the NRA for two years and will someday pay off a life membership.  I don't always believe that they are as uncompromising as they need to be though, but there is no bigger organization out there fighting for us.  I also think that anyone who is into "evil black guns" needs to join Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership, or the JPFO [url]www.jpfo.org[/url] I am not Jewish and you don't need to be to join.  At least give their website a look and then decide.  They are very committed to our fight.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top