Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2003 3:26:57 PM EDT
I am seven months into my second boring job since graduating from college and I am miserable. I can't bare thinking this is what I have to look forward to for the next 40 years. There has got to be a better way...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am seven months into my second boring job since graduating from college and I am miserable. I can't bare thinking this is what I have to look forward to for the next 40 years. There has got to be a better way...
View Quote

Love it.  Wouldn't change it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
well, i'm working about 75 hours a week right now between the day job and finishing my dissertation. the guy i work for is a flaming cock and the only reason i am still there is to arrange his downfall before his boss, who i do respect.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I was employed!

03Mav
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Love my job.  I'm 10 years into my Career. I have a assignment I love. Will retire in 17 years. Then go back to work, doing the same thing, for another employer. Double dipping...cha-ching!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Hate it.
Not what I do but what the job has become over the years and how they screw you out of more money year after year.
High time for a change but thats easier said than done.
**edited to add**  I'm a Toyota master technician
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't mind my asking, what field are you in?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to love my job, it is easy, I run the place, there's lots of potential, and Moneys good.
However, recently my boss has become really lazy, getting off task, and has been talking shit about things I like to do (guns&shooting) to his friends and customers, yeah he's a liberal. On top of that, I have to put up with a lot of anti-american B.S. because half of my customers are liberal australians, who do contract work here from boeing. I'm probably gonna say F-it and join the Army to piss them all off and go mow down terrorists with a 249 and send them back pictures.
Any way, sometimes a job seems to good to be true, half the time you found your niche, the other half of the time it was too good to be true.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate my day job (telecom tech), love my weekend job (medic).  I just can't make enough at it to do it full time.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The last place I worked cheated the employees at every chance and thus had an astronomical rate of turnover. The people are OK at my current job, but it is just not what I want to do. It is exceedingly boring and I walk around like a zombie, wishing I was some where else. I dread going in every day, and count the seconds until I can leave in the evening.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]
It's pretty good but I believe I'm under paid by ~7.5%.  I like what I do so I tolerate the location and semi-crapulant pay.

Once I get another 2-3 years experience doing this, though, I can hit the road as a contractor making ~$55/hr working 6-12 month contract jobs.  That's my current goal.

If you are miserable with your current situation, decide on a goal that will get you motivated.  Then make a road map to acheive that goal.  After that, bust your ass to make it happen.

The rest of it will be pure satisfaction.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I like what I do, just am not thrilled about some of the folks I do it for.

And, the pay could be better.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am seven months into my second boring job [red]since graduating from college[/red] and I am miserable. I can't bare thinking this is what I have to look forward to for the next 40 years. There has got to be a better way...
View Quote

Hmmmmmm... There was evidently a goof..[>:/]

Your [s]progra[/s] "education" didn't take...[xx(]

You haven't been thinking of starting your own business, or anything nefarious as that have ya???    [:P]

We can't be having this shit. Mal-contents, THINK!!!    [:\]

(We just can't be having this.......)
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I HATE my friggin job! I have some good friends there, but the bullshit is almost unbareable! I work for a union...need I say more?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Liberals all hate me for what I do,and many fellows are envious.I enjoy pissing off/on liberals as often/much as possible.The other guys being envious though....I tell them that after awhile you can get tired of anyfuckingthing.All work is the same.Even H.Hefner must get tired of bunny blowjobs.But I do get to burn up lots of ammo on the job,and this helps with stress.Yes!I am a door gunner on the space shuttle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish I did this 15 years ago.  I'l be 5 years short.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I love mine. I am in an area all by myself. No supervision. If I have nothing to do, which is a lot of the time, I can read, web surf, do whatever. I have no worries of downsizing. The pay is very good. The benifits a great. I will be here for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Hate it, and I have been there going on 20 long friggen years......
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a job that I will actually pay to do when Im not working.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Real-Time Energy Trader.

Love every megawatt-hour of it.

I'd work more hours doing it if they'd let me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I like my job. But how can I hate a job with awesome views like this from the office window?

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20023[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am seven months into my second boring job [red]since graduating from college[/red] and I am miserable. I can't bare thinking this is what I have to look forward to for the next 40 years. There has got to be a better way...
View Quote

You haven't been thinking of starting your own business, or anything nefarious as that have ya???    [:P]

View Quote

Yeah, I want more than anything to start my own business. I can't stand having a dumbass that can't do his own job trying to tell me how to do mine. I work for money pure and simple. No different than a hired gun or a prostitute. I dervive no pleasure, enjoyment, or sense of satisfaction from my job.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my job. In a few years, I will be senior man and will be the chief dispatcher at my dispatch center. And I will have 20 years when i am 40 and can retire. Plus I have great benefits and a great work enviroment. I know almost all the cops and fireman that are in the field. I can take any work related class i want for free and can take time to go to them without getting charged vacation or anything like that. Pay is good even though i had to fight city hall last time to get what was fair. I love my job.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
[:(!][b][red][size=6]HATE IT!!![/size=6][/red][/b][/red][:(!] (due to recent problems)
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#24]
i graduated college and did software programming. the company lied to the engineers and they all started quitting. when i, 18 months fresh out of school, was the senior guy on a project, i realized there were serious problems. shortly thereafter, i bailed and started my own business selling motorcycle parts. i chose to turn my passion and hobby into my income. that may not be the wisest of all decisions, but i'm far more happy now than then!

as was said above: figure out what you DO want (and why) and then plan how to get there. focus on your plan. execute.

[:)]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#25]
For the most part, I don't like it.  The people are mostly fun to work w/, but the actual work could be done by well trained monkeys.  Everyone wants experience, but nobody wants to give it to you.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I like it! I hate it! I retire in four years.
[b]Whoopee!![/b]

[devil]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Hate it!!!

Deal with idiot manager on a daily basis.  Yesterday the company hired an intern to "work with" me.  Considering that my project needs only one person, it's not a good sign.

Unemployment, here I come.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, I want more than anything to start my own business. I can't stand having a dumbass that can't do his own job trying to tell me how to do mine. I work for money pure and simple. No different than a hired gun or a prostitute. I dervive no pleasure, enjoyment, or sense of satisfaction from my job.
View Quote

Triburst:

Hated my first job out of college. Worked at least 70 hours a week, often 80 or 90, nearly always on the road, not glamorous, not personally rewarding, superiors were incompetent or outright liars, and I was relocated frequently. Otherwise, it wasnt a bad gig.

It did result in three things; it beat the shit out of me - nothing I'll ever do for a living will I consider difficult after that. Even the summer I worked as a hod-carrier was enjoyable in comparison. Second, it made me keenly aware of what is necessary to succeed - wasnt just commission, my pay was linked directly to P&L. Third, tattooed on my heart a distinct and utter hatred of the corporate world. Oh and it paid the bills and gave me a nice pile of cash afterward.

It set me up to do what I do now - row my own boat. But if it wasnt for that experience, because it was as shitty as it was, no possible way I was able to create my situation now.

As far as  setting up your own gig, well I knew I wasnt capable initially. Took me a bit to purge and learn. But everyone is different. You better make an [b]honest[/b] assessment of your skills, temperament and desires. Most start ups fail, and many who buy business run them into the ground. Remember, you're no less a captive of your customers in your own business. Instead of one boss you now have many. You may even gain new respect for all those incompetent managers you served, but not the liars.

Before you make a change, develop a plan, focus, and execute. Before you do that, hone your skills, correct your attitude and develop contacts. Your best resources are the prominent business men in your community. I was lucky, I made it thinking I was an Island. Dont be intimidated at approaching successful entrepreneurs - they love it, and just skip the ones that dont. Ask them what they think, not what they can do for you; its more valuable anyway.

Liberty had it right - think - create - make your own way, even if its in your present company. But you cant jump without a parachute, and that takes a bit of forethought. Nothing is more wasteful than a life at an unhappy vocation.

Luck
Alac

BTW read the Millionaire Next Door, may disabuse you of ill concieved notions many hold about entrepreneurs and wealth.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Good job but my boss/brother in law, is an idiot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top