Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 3:23:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 3:25:04 PM EST by Searcherfortruth]
Were any of you folks ever in any para military group as kids?
I was in the Young Marines & graduated from boot camp when I was just a lad of about 11 or 12.
It was a grueling program run by inactive Marine Corps DI's that treated us just like real Marine Corp's recruits. It surley wasn't the boy scouts!

I was also in the real Marine Corps as an adult, but I was just wondering if anyone ealse had a similar experiance as a kid.

PS it was in the late 60's early 70's in Grand Rapids Michigan that I was in the Young Marines.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:47:13 PM EST
I didn't know the Young Marines went that far back.

I recall seeing those kids on base. I'm pro military, but something about little kids playing military seemed a little creepy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:54:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 3:55:08 PM EST by Searcherfortruth]
When I was in ITS on Pendleton, they had the Devil Dogs, a similar but much more watered down version. It's a much softer sweeter world all around these days thanks to all the pc bs. That sucks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:48:47 PM EST
We didn't have cool stuff like that in Queens, we just played guns or war on our block, low crawling through neighbors yards and the like. I actually got my first stitches playing it when I was like 7, tripped and hit my head on one of those old training rifles, you know the ones that looked like a 1903 or something. Forget playing that shit now, you'll be thrown out of school for playing it on a Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:03:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth:
Were any of you folks ever in any para military group as kids?
I was in the Young Marines & graduated from boot camp when I was just a lad of about 11 or 12.
It was a grueling program run by inactive Marine Corps DI's that treated us just like real Marine Corp's recruits. It surley wasn't the boy scouts!

I was also in the real Marine Corps as an adult, but I was just wondering if anyone ealse had a similar experiance as a kid.

PS it was in the late 60's early 70's in Grand Rapids Michigan that I was in the Young Marines.

I attended a two week course called 'Devil Pups' at Camp Pendleton when I was 14 in 1984. It was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:05:39 PM EST
I had no prior experience, not even much time with firearms.
I did play organized team contact sports.

Shot expert, 300 PFT, graduated Platoon Honorman.
Top Top