Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 8:40:47 PM EDT

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:18:45 AM EDT
Ouch.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:23:08 AM EDT
lol that is classic
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:28:16 AM EDT
Hey, I'm not the only one still playing the original half-life!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:44:19 AM EDT
What the hell is he doing?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:48:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Green95LX:
What the hell is he doing?

Taking a nap, duh!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:04:36 AM EDT
That's not a fake.  Screen shot taken while I was playing HL1 Source after I bagged the guy.

The physics and rag-doll effects are great but sometimes the software just doesn't quite get it right.

Here's a couple more:

Stuck to the wall by a bolt after nailing him with the crossbow.

Same thing but this time the body rotated on the bolt coming to rest as you see.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:55:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:57:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

Wow, a human slinkie.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:59:25 AM EDT
You'd pee you pants if you saw the things that happen during a game's development.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:53:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 11:59:37 AM EDT by napalm]
Breakin' 3: Electronic Boogaloo.

Originally Posted By 50cal:

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/c1a3a0022.jpg

Wow, a human slinkie.

"What rolls down stairs
and over the chairs
and into your neighbor's dog?
It fits on your back,
It's good for a snack,
Everyone knows it's log.
It's log, it's log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log, it's better than bad, it's good.
Everyone wants a log.
Go out and get your log
Log log log"

"Log! From Blammo!"
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:59:58 AM EDT
He is obviously breakdancing.

I knew it would make a comeback!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:02:04 PM EDT
I have had a few funny things happen before, I always miss them and dont screenshot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:08:44 PM EDT

One of my brother's favorite things to do during Halo (and I'm sure a few of you have done this) is to kill something, hover over it and press the *squat* button repeatedly so it looks like he's violating the corpse.

He's 17.  Explains a lot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:11:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:

One of my brother's favorite things to do during Halo (and I'm sure a few of you have done this) is to kill something, hover over it and press the *squat* button repeatedly so it looks like he's violating the corpse.

He's 17.  Explains a lot.

Reminds me of the overhead look and the lightsaber in the Jedi Knight game, if you really want to bad you can edit the textures of the lightsabre.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:13:21 PM EDT
Hey I did that all the time....usually to the (ex)girlfriend's cyber-corpse in front of company (Her folks or friends.). Always rated a good smack and a good blush.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:14:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 12:16:30 PM EDT by Shaftoe]
The "rag doll" physics is great. I've seen dead guys hanging by a limb from a rope bridge - just begging for a shot to knock 'em down.

The next few generations of games are going to get crazy. I'm waiting for fully destructible environments based on materials libraries and characters that use medical anatomical data to mimick bone, muscle and other tissue so that wounds and extermity hits are realistic.

I'm also waiting for some game developer to read the Ammo Oracle's  webpage and give players the option to choose M193, M855, and other ammo types with the proper consequences, pro and con, based on distance, etc.

Ammo Oracle
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:36:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shaftoe:
The "rag doll" physics is great. I've seen dead guys hanging by a limb from a rope bridge - just begging for a shot to knock 'em down.

The next few generations of games are going to get crazy. I'm waiting for fully destructible environments based on materials libraries and characters that use medical anatomical data to mimick bone, muscle and other tissue so that wounds and extermity hits are realistic.

I'm also waiting for some game developer to read the Ammo Oracle's  webpage and give players the option to choose M193, M855, and other ammo types with the proper consequences, pro and con, based on distance, etc.

Ammo Oracle

I've read through the Ammo Oracle several times and I don't know if we (game developers) will ever put that kind of detail in a commercial game. The only game you might ever expect to find that level of detail in would be a dedicated military simulator. I doubt if the general public would find it that fun. The number of people who would be interested in that level detail would not justify the development time (and money) it would take to implement it. Even then, I don't think that many people would find it fun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:39:15 PM EDT

Ammo Oracle

I remember the Fallout games several guns had diffrent ammo choices.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:50:58 PM EDT
yeah in CS source the ragdolls can be distracting.. run around a corner and see a guy crouching.. shoot him except hes already dead...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:59:29 PM EDT
Joint Operations: Escalation allows choice from FMJ, SP, and AP bullets. But the hit detection is so out of wack at the moment that it's just a frag fest. There will hopefully be a realism patch released soon and the guns will be given some recoil and muzzle rise. Right now you can run at a speed of 22MPH with an AK47 on full automatic with sights up and accuratly engage targets at 100m. Ya not so sweet.

I remember some of the ragdoll poses the dead guys in rainbow six games would be really odd. For RD death scenes I thik that HL2 has the ball at the moment. It's amazing. Havn't played CS source yet though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 1:27:06 PM EDT by Matt_B]

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Ammo Oracle

I remember the Fallout games several guns had diffrent ammo choices.

Giving the player different ammo types to choose from is one thing but the real world differences between M1933 and M855 are too subtle for most players in the context of a game.

Also, bear in mind the sublties that many of us are interested in as shooters would be lost on the average player and wouldn't probably not be fun for the average player. Realism is not necessarily fun.  

BTW, I'm speaking from the perspective of a shooter who also happens to be a game developer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:36:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ErinMT:
Joint Operations: Escalation allows choice from FMJ, SP, and AP bullets. But the hit detection is so out of wack at the moment that it's just a frag fest. There will hopefully be a realism patch released soon and the guns will be given some recoil and muzzle rise. Right now you can run at a speed of 22MPH with an AK47 on full automatic with sights up and accuratly engage targets at 100m. Ya not so sweet.

I remember some of the ragdoll poses the dead guys in rainbow six games would be really odd. For RD death scenes I thik that HL2 has the ball at the moment. It's amazing. Havn't played CS source yet though.

I'm a big fan of co-op play in that game, and I want the perfect aim at rediculous ranges through concealment by the computer controled opponents fixed first.
Top Top