Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2013 6:25:08 PM EDT
What is your next move? I had the situation SEEM like it was happening to me today (two people walking around my car and looking inside for about 10 minutes) and as I was waiting for them to make a move, I realized I had no idea what my next move would be. Call the cops and wait? Step outside before anything is broken/stolen, what? If I am armed and I went out to them, would that make me the aggressor? or is it okay since I'm defending my property (assuming it came down to that and I'm getting the Zimmerman treatment from two Trayvons at once). What would you do?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Hit the panic button on my key.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not have waited 10 minutes to make that decision.  If someone suspicious was lurking around my car and peering inside for more than about 60 seconds I'd get on the horn

IMO stepping outside would make you the aggressor.  In MI you cannot use lethal force to defend personal property and I'm assuming WI is the same way.  If it came down to use of force you would be in deep shit unfortunately

However, I might take a casual stroll outside to get a pair of safety glasses
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Car has proximity alarm. If they even got too close to the window (put their hand on it, etc) it would have went off.

I know in Texas you can use lethal force to defend property at NIGHT for sure, I don't know about during the day.

Assuming my alarm is going off and I step out side, am I still the aggressor for checking on my car?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't worry, the claymores would take care of it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I might get raped here in GD, but I'm not going to confront someone over property I've got insured.  
"Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Best move.

Also use your command voice: "YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY VEHICLE!!"

Then blade at 45 and wait for the massive adrenaline dump.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
In Kansas you would have been defending your property which is covered in our castle doctrine laws.  Had I been in your situation I would have stepped out side and said "hey fellas, can I help you?"  Of course my hand would have been on my CCW just in case.  But I'm allowed to carry at work, partly because I own the place, and I have my CCL.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
you waited for 10 minutes while some guys circled your car looking inside it???

trunk money biatch
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My vehicle is literally 20 feet from the front door, so I'm gonna pop my head out and ask what's up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would not have waited 10 minutes to make that decision.  If someone suspicious was lurking around my car and peering inside for more than about 60 seconds I'd get on the horn

IMO stepping outside would make you the aggressor.  In MI you cannot use lethal force to defend personal property and I'm assuming WI is the same way.  If it came down to use of force you would be in deep shit unfortunately

View Quote

I agree. I HIGHLY doubt that the lurkers would continue lurking if you happened to notice them while getting your safety glass.

But than again, I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Kansas you would have been defending your property which is covered in our castle doctrine laws.  Had I been in your situation I would have stepped out side and said "hey fellas, can I help you?"  Of course my hand would have been on my CCW just in case.  But I'm allowed to carry at work, partly because I own the place, and I have my CCL.
View Quote

At my work it's just the owner and I, and we both carry so I'm good there.

My car is my baby. If anyone touches it in a malicious way (or leans on it...) I go from being one of the nicest people you know to the worst person you'll ever meet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Be pretty ballsy to walk up on my truck at work. There is no reason to be in my parking lot if you don't work for me. I own the business, the building and the lot. I park in front of the window to my office. Anyone on my property that doesn't work for me is trespassing and will be confronted accordingly. If they become aggressive or violent, they will have a very bad day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

As I understand it, in WI you can pull your gun on someone to protect your property... But you can't actually use it, unless they escalate the altercation to justify the use of deadly force. Basically a scare tactic
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Run out screaming while masturbating....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you waited for 10 minutes while some guys circled your car looking inside it???

trunk money biatch
View Quote

Yeah. We have cameras, so I wasn't TOO worried and I got the plate numbers of the two vehicles they split to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
We had teenagers who would check door handles at our apartment complex.  I saw them walk near my GF's car one night while I was out having a smoke.  I stood up (second floor balcony, they couldnt see me sitting down) when one was about to grab her handle and yelled "Can I help you?".  They scattered.

They did it a lot.  Never broke windows or jimmied locks.  Just tried handles and stole shit when they found an unlocked vehicle.

Never saw them again after that.  Both of our cars were always locked and pretty much empty anyway.  Calling the police didnt matter, unless they actually took something from you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Call the cops or release the dogs.  Or I capture the culprits, chop their fingers off and make them watch as I feed their fingers to the snakes...  

The possibilities are endless... and entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]
If it was my work car then I would sit back and wait for the show to begin.  They would not like what they found inside my car

I tell people all the time there is nothing (materialistically speaking) on this earth worth your life.  Either call the police, hit the panic button on your alarm or both.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Hit the door lock button on my key fob a couple times. It blinks the marker lights and beeps the horn, lets the snooper know that they're being watched. If that doesn't get them away from my vehicle, I'd take a picture of them with my phone and call the local PD.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry, I might get raped here in GD, but I'm not going to confront someone over property I've got insured.  

"Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."
View Quote

This.  

When my guys were chauffering the ten pound brains around Iraq, we turned engagement avoidance into an art form.  The best way to survive anything bad is to be somewhere else when it happens.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Would you watch two guys rough up your girl before the actual rape began? Wtf.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a car.  I'd call the cops only if they escalated from "looking".  Certainly wouldn't confront.  Too much at risk.  Even if, in a Castle Doctrine state, you defended your property with lethal force, would you want to go they what Zimmerman did?  Protecting a car?  Not worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.  Life is worth defending.  Property that's insured or costs less than Zimmerman's legal bill is not.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Apples and oranges.  A car is an inanimate object.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I damned sure wouldn't have waited ten minutes.
View Quote

Didn't really have a choice. I was at work helping with customers. Though they knew if someone touched the car I was going to be out there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Something like this

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Good luck to them, it's a death trap to anyone not experienced in driving it!

I'd watch as they tried to slow down at that first curve, watch as the left rear brake catches while the front suspension bounces out of control. I'll know what the driver is thinking as the steering doesn't seem to respond correctly, sometimes providing resistance, sometimes becoming overly loose and turning too far.

Ahh it would be great!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#29]
How many witnesses?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Activate vehicle self destruct.

Duh.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I think in Texas, your auto is an extension of your home.......

I know at night you can smoke somebodies ass for breaking into your car/stealing it on your property....

At the office? I'm not sure.

I like the idea of hitting the panic alarm...then hope they don't get shit on your ride when it goes off.

I also like James Bond Style

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used to be one of those people who would (and had) run out in the middle of the night and subtlety encouraged folks to stop what they were doing and get away from my property.

Now, call the police and make sure I have a locked door between me and them.

Two guys roughing up my girl? Yeah, they would be lucky to live through that situation.
Two guys doing that to some random girl. Might call the cops, otherwise not my problem.

Could be a setup, could be a domestic that could turn into a 3-1 situation, too many coulds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd have gathered up everybody in my workplace and we'd all have gone outside to move those individuals along

using an abundance of manpower and intimidation.

At the same time I'd hit the red button on my key fob, setting off the car alarm.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Looking in your car is a 911 call....

Breaking into your car is a felony and you can tackle them, point a gun at them, hold them for the police and if they escalate it to the point where you have to defend your life then oh well, too bad for them...

I'm pretty sure Texas law is the same as Florida... you wouldn't have any problems if the "made their move"
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Step out from behind a tree smoking a cigarette and tapping the butt of my pistol and say with a southern drawl "I'm your Huckleberry............why Johhny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave"  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]
What in the law says you must sit idly by while someone boosts your car? No you can't run out there guns blazing at a couple looky loos. You can go out there and ask them what the hell they are doing. Odds are at this point they'll make tracks. If they don't and then assault you then you would be justified in usung the appropriate force to defend yourself.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Call the cops or release the dogs.  Or I capture the culprits, chop their fingers off and make them watch as I feed eat their fingers to the snakes...  

The possibilities are endless... and entertaining.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My vehicle is literally 20 feet from the front door, so I'm gonna pop my head out and ask what's up.
View Quote

I've done just that. many times. its effective.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I pop the flamethrower:

Youtube

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Repo guys checking VIN.

Either your car matches the description of one they're looking for, or....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hekk, I do this to the neighborhood kids when they're standing around out in the street anywhere near my car

(and I do it just for shitz and grins!)
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

And call the cops
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I work at a gunshop where I see my car all day parked in front of the shop. Someone starts messing with any or our cars would be dealt with quickly. Usually there is a police officer in the shop and if not, a couple of us simply confronting them would stop them most likely. I wouldn't look for a fight, I would simply ask what they were doing loudly, it's best if you can bring more people if there are multiple people casing your car, show of force and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My car is my baby. If anyone touches it in a malicious way (or leans on it...) I go from being one of the nicest people you know to the worst person you'll ever meet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there was a like button for posts....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Repo guys checking VIN.

Either your car matches the description of one they're looking for, or....
View Quote

Repo guys who work for my business know better than a 10 min walk around.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What in the law says you must sit idly by while someone boosts your car? No you can't run out there guns blazing at a couple looky loos. You can go out there and ask them what the hell they are doing. Odds are at this point they'll make tracks. If they don't and then assault you then you would be justified in usung the appropriate force to defend yourself.
View Quote

I don't think anyone is disputing that you can legally (at least in CD states) "defend" your property.  What I am saying is "why risk it"?  It is a car.  It can be replaced.  Sure the risk may be low - but what if?  

Pro:  
- you protect your car
- you save some $$$ - if insured, it's just deductible
- you feel like a hero
- you have a CSB to tell

Con:
- you die
- you get severely injured (wont even talk about potential medical costs)
- you get arrested
- you get tried in the press
- you spend $$$ on legal fees
- BPP puts a price on your head
- you have to deal w/ guilt if you are inclined that way

Not worth it.

My wife, kids, friends, dog = sure.  Likely even a stranger.

Not my car, TV, neighbor's TV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And call the cops
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And call the cops

what if my car doesn't have a panic button because it has manual locks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And call the cops

Run outside flailing your arms doing your best impression of a car alarm...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top