BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2002 6:10:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
well, we can start by making the MOD selection process open to the users, like an election, rather than buddies choosing buddies.

and how about keeping tabs on who locks what topics and having them justify to EVERYONE in the open exactly WHY the thread was locked.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
well for one the beekeeper1 just locked another
damn post that did not cross any lines only
because he thought it might be trolling.
what bullshit!
edited because i would have kept my mouth shut
for the rest of the night BUT NO another lock
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
well, we can start by making the MOD selection process open to the users, like an election, rather than buddies choosing buddies.

and how about keeping tabs on who locks what topics and having them justify to EVERYONE in the open exactly WHY the thread was locked.
View Quote

I like it[:D]

It'll never happen[V]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll second that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My only suggestion would be the same as serpico's second one.  If a mod locks a thread he should leave a post saying why.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, he seems to do that.

not to echo what i just said bit

HOW BOUT NO MORE OF THIS "I DON'T LIKE THIS THREAD, SO I'M GONNA LOCK IT BULLSHIT"?

mods should have to post WHY they locked a thread, PUBLICLY, and as a result of what VIOLATION OF THE CONDUCT CODE.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
quote]

I'll second that.
View Quote

Sounds fair to me. I can't really see a problem ith it.

3 month terms? re-election? Sounds better now that I think about it. I hope I don't start seeing yard signs if it happens  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

meta-moderation

going to start sounding like slashdot
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
BRING ON THE BOI!!!!!

LOL...

no actually people just need to GROW THE F UP!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
exactly stormbringer grow up, i did not get a chance to tell you that i do not poke sticks at animals at the zoo, but you had to throw your jab.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe, just MAYBE, everyone shouldn't be whiny little children, and watch their opinions. People in internet conversations, are known to just let anything fly.

MAYBE people should mind their manners in these forums, and not complain about the Mods. Would you walk into someones home and start spouting off at the mouth?

What happens if something is said that pisses someone off? The pissed off person starts to think of whitty, mean things, or the post gets locked. It is alot of fun to post from the safety of your parents basement, and say things that might get your a$$ kicked if you said it in mixed company...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Opinions are like a$$holes, they all stink, but some stink more than others.

Grow up all, and don't kvetch if you have 45 posts. I am a noob here, get tons of good information, watch my manners, and all goes well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it my imagination or did things start to take a shit here when McUzi came back?[:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Grow up all, and don't kvetch if you have 45 posts.
View Quote

easy tiger, you don't know DICK about me,just because you read what's under my name. i've been here a LOT longer than you.
your holier than thou attitude REMINDS me of the mods we are referring to.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
WOW, way to cool I would hate to go drinking with you guys, I would have to fight my way out of all the bars, and drag your sorry behinds with me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Aw, heck.

I like the all the locked threads.  I head right for them to see who is arguing with who about what...

I really wish you guys would collect all the locked threads and place them in a forum called the 'Trash Heap'  It would save me a lot of time loading the pages looking for locked threads.

You learn alot about a family by watching them argue.

TRG

PS.  BTW, the whole "In Before the Lock" fiasco is a symptom of over zealous moderating.  People are expecting any controversial topics to be locked.  IBTL would not exist if over zealous moderating was not occurring.

Just relax a little, let people vent/rant about topics or each other.  We are all big kids here.  Let people rant and rave until they get it out of their systems.  A good flame war between two goofballs is hig quality entertainment imho.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...IBTL!

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
well, you got my suggestions.

the recent post asking the mods to simply explain why certain threads were locked, which was then promptly LOCKED, is not only indicitive of the problem, but an indicator of the "untouchable" feeling some of the mods here exhibit to the "commoners"
something has to give, or pretty soon, this board will just be 600 mods, patrolling each others threads for something to lock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#19]
If you think it's that bad, quit posting things and quit reading other people's posts.  It seems like the moderators have their hands full trying to babysit everyone.  If someone wants to bash someone, I'm sure there are better forums out there.  It seems like a site like AR15.com ought to be related to, hmm let's see, maybe AR15 rifles and associated products.  There's enough politics around already without involving them here.  That's my 2 cents.
Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one; and they all stink.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
exactly stormbringer grow up, i did not get a chance to tell you that i do not poke sticks at animals at the zoo, but you had to throw your jab.
View Quote

LOL>..

No jj....your post was childish and akin to poking sticks.  That is the point I was and am trying to make...

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#22]
How about if the Mods ease up a bit in the everyday, garden variety flame war or relatively harmless trolling. In return, we the membership, will tacitly agree to stay away from a few 'hot-button' topics such as racism and member vs. member bashing.

Another thing, I know that most of the current Mods were Mods in other forums and as team members, we had no idea that their antagonist in a flame war was a Mod. This lead to a great deal of liberty in the exchange of conflicting idea. I assume that in addition to not having the Mod standard in the GD forum, they also did not have the Mod power of enforcement when away from their regular Mod forum.

The fix for this is to return to relatively few Mods in the GD forum, we really can police ourselves. Leave us alone as a Mod and join us as a fellow member!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I am REALLY new here and really don't care about the pissy posts. I just don't read them. ...but why not make a special "FLAME FORUM" for people to fight it out. If someone posts a flame in the wrong forum, just transfer it to the FLAME and put a notice on the original locked forum as to where it can be found. Put a cool disclaimer on it saying the owners of the site hold no responsibility for what goes on inside and put your best mods in it. Kinda like a play pen for the people that can't play nicely ;)
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
How about if we get rid of the moderators but don't tell anyone. Then run a script that deletes a thread silently the moment the 2nd person posts "IBTL".
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#26]
People want to "elect" moderators?

What are you stoned?  When did this become a democracy?  This is GOatboys realm, don't like that?  Don't let the door hit you in the ass then.

Is it so hard to realize that goatboy is 100% responisble for what is posted here?  Is it too much to ask that in that case, he "hire" mod's whom he knows and trusts?

You whiners want the power to lock threads, but none of the financial and civil obligation that comes with owining this clubhouse of ours.

Elect moderators?  Not a chance, we don't need mob rule here, it isn't about a popularity contest, it is about protecting our home.  I don't want to leave that up to popular whim, I want it left up to the person with whom the buck stops, namely goatboy, and anyone that goatboy nominates for that position.

As to locked threads, I haven't seen one yet that I wouldn't have also locked, you aren't "owed" an explanation for anything, jeez, if goatboy was handing out $100.00 bills you people would be bitching because they had creases.

Get a grip and start being a little thankful that we have this place, stop shitting in the living room.

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I think its just a result of the sudden flood of new mods.  Let everybody get done seeing how the lock button works and get the power trip over with, and thing will be back to normal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#29]
ok, bendover, thebeekeeper1 at least between
you and i lets call a truce. i will back off
if you do the same. my hand is out, will you
shake?
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
ok, bendover, thebeekeeper1 at least between
you and i lets call a truce. i will back off
if you do the same. my hand is out, will you
shake?
View Quote

Check your IM.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Actually - I was only half joking about deleting "Why was my thread locked.!?" threads on IRC the other evening. If there is a problem with the policing of this board, it's that it's too visible. Any whining should be done privately between the lockee and the mod(s).

As for the rash of locked threads... An ancient Jewish proverb says "Drive out a mocker, and out goes strife. Quarrels and insults are ended." Shoot the ringleaders first.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Great Idea, why stop there why don't we just elect who will buy and own this place also!  

Yahoo I vote for me owning and paying for this place!   Oh no on secound thought I just don't have the money ,nor the wisdom to promote those to staff or to be moderate in their decisions.

Hey just go with the flow(you might even think about becomming a Team Member) before you think of changing things here.  ]

Edited to say damn excuse me dude as you are a Team Member(sounded like some one wanted this to become a demockracy)  

Just a thought.     Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Voting on mods is a bad idea.  Those who lose and their supporters will be in the minority and claim that they are "disenfranchised" or something.  Random selection of paid members would be better than voting.

I have no problem with the mod team as it is now.  I think they are all stand-up guys (and gals, as the case may be).  What I tire of is watching mods and members go back and forth on the same damn topic in different threads over and over again, day after day.

If I could make a suggestion or two:

1.  Mods, don't get sucked into flame wars.  Further, don't get martyr syndrome in a thread you hate.  It makes you look bad, and the other side will complain and post numerous "Why was my thread locked, so-and-so mod is an ass" etc threads.  I don't mean so far as to not participate, but don't get baited into a discussion by morons.

2.  New forum: Gas Chamber.  Instead of locking threads, send them here.  You must be logged in to access this forum.  This is where threads go to die.  That way, a thread is still open for those who wish to scream until they are either blue in the face or alone.  Maybe both.  Either way, less bitching, and the trolls will stay there.

This new forum needs only one mod and only one rule - after an hour of inactivity, any thread is subject to a lock or deletion at the moderator's discretion.

3.  Leave GenDis as-is, with the code of conduct in place.  If a thread goes over the line, Gas it with a reason (as opposed to locking with a reason).  If someone starts a bitch-thread about the gassed thread, delete it.  Their thread is still active, and those who wish may still partake of it in the Gas Chamber.

Problems solved.  Next?

the_reject
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#38]
What reject said,but you could gas it then allow them a rebutale with say twenty five words or less,then say ten words or less,then five words or less, then just two- good bbye.

Bob  [8D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#40]
2. New forum: Gas Chamber. Instead of locking threads, send them here. You must be logged in to access this forum...
View Quote

I'd restrict it further if possible - You must have been a participant in the thread to see a thread in purgatory.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
2. New forum: Gas Chamber. Instead of locking threads, send them here. You must be logged in to access this forum...
View Quote

I'd restrict it further if possible - You must have been a participant in the thread to see a thread in purgatory.
View Quote

That would be hell to code for our poor GoatBoy!  The 1 hour of inactivity rule would suffice perfectly.  Eventually, any remaining participants in a gassed thread will get tired of it and leave.  After an hour, the Gas Chamber mod can lock or delete the thread on his or her whim.

the_reject
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not sure this is the answer, but Full-Auto does this. When a couple of guys just start rolling around in the shit they send it to "Rant" I never thought much about it but I guess it does let guys duke it out in peace without disturbing everyone else. On the other hand Full-Auto has no advertisers etc so they can be a lot looser with what topics they allow.
View Quote

Anything F/A can do, we can do better.

Disallowing posting of new topics in the Gas Chamber would prevent it from being a hang out for the stupid-with-a-point-to-prove.  I'm fairly certain this could be coded without too much hassle.

The point of the Gas Chamber wouldn't be so that troublesome threads could just go somewhere else to continue on in a flame-fest, it should be so that troublesome threads can DIE QUICKLY.  Kind of like how an animal will just wander out and hole up somewhere when it knows it's about that time, except in this case, we show the animal where the hole is.

The stigma should be that if you are still perpetuating a discussion in a gassed thread, you are obviously a moron not to be taken seriously.  Ever.

the_reject
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

me too
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's my opinion for a fix:

1) Limit moderating powers in a forum to Admin, Sr. Staff, Staff, and moderators of that forum only.

2) Create a "Trash can" type forum to move locked threads to so that they don't stare everyone in the face and give them ideas but they are still available to read so that the pertinent information can still be read by those who were interested in the original topic.

3) A locked thread must [b]always[/b] have an explanation and list the conduct code section that was violated or else it can not be locked.

4) Stop locking threads that have one bad post in them, there is a delete/edit function you know.

5) Moderators, staff, and Sr. Staff should be subject to disciplinary action when there actions seem biased. An example would be 3 strikes = loss of powers for one week, 6 strikes = loss of powers for eternity.

I don't know if there are currently any mods who are non-paying members but I do feel that at least one would be fair in both GD and GFD so as to give a fair chance to "Members" when "Team Members" start coming down on them for any number of reasons including accusing them of trolling just because they don't pay.

I think these rules would calm everything down quite a bit.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#47]
EVERYBODY is overreacting. This sight goes through ups and downs. Trolls and Aholes come in waves...if we ignore them ..they will, and always have, gone away. Only recently have we let these idiotic threads start flame wars among the regulars here. The only action that should be taken IMHO is for everyone to calm down and ride this wave of Aholes out. We need to stick together.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I agree with offspring, have a "flaming" forum.  If you don't like what someone else says, STOP READING IT!!!!!!!!!!!  This forum is about both the 1st and 2nd amendments, isn't it.

the-reject seems to have a good idea or two himself.  Anyway what is IBTF????
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top