Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Mike Rowe 2024
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Mike Rowe is mostly full of shit.

He champions 'blue collar' working man's jobs like he's their savior.  All the while being paid as a narrator/commentator/TV star.

Edit:....

I'm adding this to my first post because that's all anyone is seeing before attacking me.  And you know what...I earned it.  I have not and will not alter the content of my post, because it would be disingenuous and it's been quoted 50 times.

The truth is I made a snap judgement based off of seeing this man on TV for no more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time.  If I'm being completely honest then I have to admit that the whole employment marketplace, the 'working world' we live in, has jaded my views and made me bitter.  That's the truth.  I could go into great detail, but this is not the time or the place.

As for Mike...I was completely wrong.  I saw this guy on TV constantly, in brief clips or interviews.  I saw his name, this thread, and the article "blue collar bad-ass Mike Rowe etc, etc" and immediately took offense as if he was making his money off of the working man's back.  This was completely ignorant and unfounded.  

I read his response in the link, as well as others here responding to me.  I honestly didn't know what I didn't know.  I'm man enough to apologise, because I was absolutely wrong.  That's what happens when you make snap judgements about people, and for that I am sorry.

The post above is what I had to go back and read several times over.  Upon reading it, I understand how it came across.  

Op, you haven't piled on.  You could have.  You would be righteous in doing so.  I want to apologise to you as well.  I hate when people disrupt threads as much as the next guy.  Apparently I was one of those guys today, and for that I'm sorry.

I was wrong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
IF I was gay...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That dude is a badass...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Mike Rowe never disappoints. He always knows just what to say.

Quoted:

He champions 'blue collar' working man's jobs like he's their savior.  All the while being paid as a narrator/commentator/TV star.
View Quote
Not everyone is good with their hands. If I could make money with my dulcet tones, I sure as hell would.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
???
Everyone needs a champion - especially those who can't project for themselves!
Mike Rowe is a true champion of the working class - he is respected, well spoken, and his Works foundation is great.
What's not to like???

https://twitter.com/mikeroweworks?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does he need to be a blue collar guy, to champion blue collar jobs?  And where did the "savior" shit come from?  He's never acted or claimed to do any such thing.  

Your head....   It's stuck...  Pull it out....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Speaking of full of shit....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does he need to be a blue collar guy, to champion blue collar jobs?  And where did the "savior" shit come from?  He's never acted or claimed to do any such thing.  

View Quote
Sorry man.  Just calling them like I see it.

As a real blue collar guy that has broken their body down working 'working man jobs', I just don't care for him.  He's fake as shit.

He may truly believe all he says he does.  But it ain't all gravy.  I think he's found his true calling.  He is a great narrator and voice.  

Maybe it's just in my head...but it's almost like "he ain't earned the right to speak on that".

I dunno.  His whole schtick is tiresome and rubs me the wrong way.

But once again.  My opinion.  I've shared it, and I'm out.

Edit...

I was completely wrong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always liked him. He has a lot of respect for the real hard working people in this country and he is pretty intelligent, definitely has no problem speaking his mind
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Paid to he on TV or jot, the dude seems genuine. Hes stated that he did Dirty Jobs as a tribute to his family... I give him credit for doing a show like that. He busted his ass a time or two for sure and let people know just what kind of shit folks doing those jobs go through. IMO, his motives for the show were true, paid or not.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont believe it's schtick he spends time and money working to support the trade schools. Hey not everyone will be a PhD or hold a Masters. We still need competent trades.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Ha!  Well-done, Mike!

It's rewarding to see an epic beatdown delivered in such a reasoned and eloquent fashion.

I wonder if pajama boy will respond, or sulk in the corner of his Mom's basement?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As a real blue collar guy that has broken their body down working 'working man jobs', I just don't care for him.  He's fake as shit.

He may truly believe all he says he does.  But it ain't all gravy.  I think he's found his true calling.  He is a great narrator and voice.  

Maybe it's just in my head...but it's almost like "he ain't earned the right to speak on that".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WoW!  A real Blue Collard!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why does that make him full of shit?

His uses his fame to champion blue collar jobs, if he was plain old Mike the plumber who would listen to him? How could his Mike Rowe works foundation endow trade schools if he were plain old Mike the HVAC tech?

He is a great ambassador for the trades, he has even testified in front of congress in support of the trades.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, that Mike Rowe Foundation is just so he can get votes when he never runs for office.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://mikerowe.com/2017/05/otw-memecomparisonmyselfandbillnye/
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whatever you're smoking, you should probably stop and throw it away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sometimes the individual best suited to make the stand has feet of clay.  His stand may still be just.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A man with a platform who cares for American workers and trades ... 

seems like a good guy to hate on 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I respect your opinion on it, and would reply with a question.  By that same logic, should we say that Gary Sinise and all the work he does for the military is disingenuous and fake, all because he never actually served in the military and only played a lieutenant in a movie?  

Or could we come to another conclusion that even though he didn't actually serve, his work in the movie and in other related events with the USO led to him developing such a profound respect for the men and women in the military, that he fully committed himself to the cause and as a result has become a great champion for awareness to many veteran's related causes?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
He narrated a cancer prevention safety video for our department and it is going to many departments in the country.

His one caveat was no credits were to mention his name anywhere in the video.

The guy has a great voice, not as good as James Earl Jones though
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#26]
He lives in San Francisco

http://mikerowe.com/tag/san-francisco/
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a "Blue Collar" man myself. 32 years in construction, the last 20 as a contractor. I've been saying what Mike has been for years.
We need people in the trades. I didn't go to college, never wanted to, I make between $80-90k a year. More if its a good year.
The only people joining the trades are from South of the border. A few are good, most build like 3rd world carpenters. Nobody shows them. I won't train an illegal to take my job. I fear my generation is the last of American tradesmen. I'm in my late 50's, I won't last much longer .
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

WoW!  A real Blue Collard!
View Quote
Sorry.  

You missed the point.  I should have gotten a degree.  And I think everyone should try if they can.  Not everyone will, but they should try.

He claims you can make a good living in trades.  Which is absolutely true.  You can however also wind up hurt, or crippled, with nothing else to fall back on.  

The trades ain't what they used to be and it's not easy.

I don't care about his foundation or anything else.  I don't know him personally, much like I'm betting 99.9% of people here.  He's probably a good guy in person.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sometimes the individual best suited to make the stand has feet of clay.  His stand may still be just.
View Quote
Well spoken.  You're probably correct.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I really loved his quote from Thomas Jefferson -
To quote Thomas Jefferson, (while I still can,) “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free and live in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I respect your opinion on it, and would reply with a question.  By that same logic, should we say that Gary Sinise and all the work he does for the military is disingenuous and fake, all because he never actually served in the military and only played a lieutenant in a movie?  

Or could we come to another conclusion that even though he didn't actually serve, his work in the movie and in other related events with the USO led to him developing such a profound respect for the men and women in the military, that he fully committed himself to the cause and as a result has become a great champion for awareness to many veteran's related causes?
View Quote
You have me kinda stumped.

No.  I think Sinise is great.  

I don't know what it is.  But maybe it's a reflection of myself and family members.  We all have worked stupid hard jobs and paid the price with our bodies.

I guess what I mean is you can't do dirty or tough jobs for 40mins on TV and then tell people they don't need college.

Maybe he's completely sincere.  I'm probably too easily offended.  But when I hear about Mike Rowe being a working mans' guy I just can't take it seriously.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Mike Rowe called a white nationalist for saying not everyone should go to college? The left really is unhinged.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
All that envy is gunna burn you up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No.  I think Sinese is great.  

I don't know what it is.  But maybe it's a reflection of myself and family members.  We all have worked stupid hard jobs and paid the price with our bodies.

I guess what I mean is you can't do dirty or tough jobs for 40mins on TV and then tell people they don't need college.

Maybe he's completely sincere.  I'm probably too easily offended.  But when I hear about Mike Rowe being a working mans' guy I just can't take it seriously.
View Quote
He doesn't tell people that "they don't need college."

He encourages those who already have a passion for a trade to apprentice or get an Associate's, or OTJT, so that we continue to have Americans who are capable of keeping this country running.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I follow what you are saying, especially since you have the legitimate been there - done that credentials.  I think Mike is in a way saying that he knows he doesn't have legitimate credibility, and by a combination of skill and luck made some good money playing a skill tradesman on TV, but in doing so found a sincere respect for the importance of those trades.  And in return is using his influence and fortune to help ensure we continue to have a viable skilled trade workforce.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a trade. He has a skill thats marketable, and he makes money at it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you explain to me how he would champion blue collar workers... while holding a blue collar job?

How many welders, plumbers, or construction guys do you know who have a voice on the national stage?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
He makes it no secret that he is no blue collar worker, but that he understands the blue collars are what makes America great AND they need a voice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I like him, and even though he lives in Commiefornia, maybe he can run for office over there, and convert some residents over to the right!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think I've ever read where he said you should never go to college.  From what I understand, he's mostly saying you don't absolutely NEED college to be a success.  College isn't for everybody.  By the same token, the country needs skilled tradesmen like welders, carpenters, electricians, pipefitters...

Read Mike Rowe's biography sometime.  He's done plenty of small-time jobs. He worked his way up to where he is now. He brings honor to those trades that most 'educated' folk disdain.  He's honest enough to admit all that also.  He's started a foundation that gives millions towards educating people in useful skills where they can earn decent money and not be on welfare.  He gets people away from sucking off the government teat and into standing on their own two feet.  That's a hell of a lot more than most politicians do.  Given the chance, I'd probably vote for Mike for President because he's just about the only famous person that I can think of, that when I hear him speak or read his essays, I pretty much agree with all of it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Many of us understand that we are not able to truly take a stance on anything, out of fear of losing your job. This is Mike Rowe's dilemma. If he had "fuck you" money, he could simply say what the fuck he really feels, and not worry about paying the bills.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have never served in the military.  By your logic I can't advocate and promote those that have.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not sure why one has to work a trade a certain number of hours/years, in order to respect what they do, and champion for their jobs in this country?

I'm the only person in my group with a white collar job, and I respect what they do and find their skills and jobs absolutely essential to the economy. Is what I'm saying meaningless because I work in an office?

I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is why you're saying it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mike Rowe called a white nationalist for saying not everyone should go to college? The left really is unhinged.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sorry.  

You missed the point.  I should have gotten a degree.  And I think everyone should try if they can.  Not everyone will, but they should try.

He claims you can make a good living in trades.  Which is absolutely true.  You can however also wind up hurt, or crippled, with nothing else to fall back on.  

The trades ain't what they used to be and it's not easy.

I don't care about his foundation or anything else.  I don't know him personally, much like I'm betting 99.9% of people here.  He's probably a good guy in person.  
View Quote
When has he ever said it was?  His message is literally that it's hard work, but that's a good thing. There is honor in hard work.  We need hard workers and they should get the respect they deserve. I think you are confused.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When has he ever said it was?  His message is literally that it's hard work, but that's a good thing. There is honor in hard work.  We need hard workers and they should get the respect they deserve. I think you are confused.
View Quote
I think so too.  If I wasn't before, I am now.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL...I just read that article to wife as she was making dinner! As for Mike himself, I like him. I think he is genuine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think so too.  If I wasn't before, I am now.  Sorry.
View Quote
No worries brother.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay.  I see the problem.

I didn't read his statement first.

I will admit, it was pretty good.  No wonder so many of you were confused.  For that I apologize.

I don't think I could have written a better response than he did even if I spent time applying it to paper first.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't like him ?  It's okay, this is still America.  Just don't watch him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top