Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/25/2010 11:54:33 AM EDT
Lets say you are at a store that sells computer parts / other electronics.

You pay for your items, and as you attempt to leave the security guard asks for your receipt... you tell him "no thanks" and try to exit the door as he steps infront of it to block you.

You politely ask him to move out of your way and he refuses until you show him your receipt.

At this point you are being unlawfully detained.

What do you do?  Do you inform him you are being unlawfully detained and will call the police, do you call the police, do you push him out of the way ??

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Blade @ some degree, and scream "Disengage" x3
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
walk around him. then if he keeps moving to get in front of you and block you it will look worse for him on the video cameras when you push him out of the way
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You are supposed to yell "YOU WILL NOT TOUCH ME!" when he steps in front of you.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY HARD DRIVE!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

and if tackled, MASSIVE adrenaline dump should help with evasion!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You pay for your items, and as you attempt to leave the security guard asks for your receipt... you tell him "no thanks" and try to exit the door as he steps infront of it to block you.

You politely ask him to move out of your way and he refuses until you show him your receipt.

What do you do?  Do you inform him you are being unlawfully detained and will call the police, do you call the police, do you push him out of the way ??

you were at Fry's obviously....and what they do is quite illegal. You can ask someone for their receipt to verify, and if they choose to show you then its all good. No foul. But if I buy something and am walking out, they CANNOT TOUCH you, detain you, or anything if you refuse to show them the receipt. If they do, they have crossed the legal boundary.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Fire a warning shot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Say that you are being unlawfully detained. Then call the cops if he doesn't move. There's no need to risk the possibility of an assault and battery charge over this.

ETA: if you're talking about Fry's electronics, I've always stopped to show the receipt to the employee, as it's always a cute girl in a low cut top... And she's focused on your receipt, not your wandering eyes...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Get ready to collect on your law suit.  You'll get a new house and a ZR1 Vette.  It's really that easy.  It's best if you let the receipt checker beat you really good first.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
1) show him the reciept.
2) As he is ready said receipt, kick him squarely in the nuts.
3) go through his pockets for cash.
4) Run from store yelling durka durka durka!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Say that you are being unlawfully detained. Then call the cops if he doesn't move. There's no need to risk the possibility of an assault and battery charge over this.

Thats what I figured, I dont think this would happen to me as I am not a tiny guy.

But at the same time you never know, I was reading a story about this happening, and they would not allow the person to leave and taunted him as well.

Heres the link to the story, it is kind of old but I just was wondering what you guys would do in this situation.

http://consumerist.com/2007/08/tigerdirect-unlawfully-restrains-and-verbally-abuses-customer-for-not-submitting-to-receipt-showing.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#12]
As this happens all the time to me....... At BJ's Wholesale I just look at the usually elderly person and say here ya go.... they look at my reciept, punch a little hole in it and wish me a great day or afternoon or morning depending on the time of day I decided to go shopping.

Seriously, unless he was putting his hands on me or was being overly aggressive I would just show him my reciept. It's not like I'm some high end jewelry thief with a hidden lair on the Turks Cacaus islands for goodness sakes. I just needed some shaving cream and diapers from Walmart.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Show him my receipt, wait 5 seconds and go about my day. Seriously, I have more important shit going on in my life then to pretend feigned offense that the minimum wage jockey at the door is somehow a danger to me.

Some of you guys are like fucking children I swear.

i would suggest things called "Jobs" and "Education" with a dash of "Wife" and sprinkling of "Kids". Then you'll realize some fights just arent fucking worth fighting. One of those being the feigned offense and princess like tantrums people like to throw when the receipt checker comes over.

Then again, it is good for amusement on my part.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't realize it was Thrusday already!

This thread again...
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
here's how I would handle it (edit to add...) if I was singled out and other people had passed through without being asked:

"can I see your receipt?"

me:  Will you move out of my way?  I can't leave with you blocking the exit.

"not til you show me your receipt"

me:  "call your store manager and have him meet me here right now.  In the meanwhile, I'm calling my attorney."

If at Sam's club, I have my receipt out and ready to go.  I expect to be checked when shopping there, but nowhere else.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

1) show him the reciept.

2) As he is ready said receipt, kick him squarely in the nuts.

3) go through his pockets for cash.

4) Run from store yelling durka durka durka!

this

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get ready to collect on your law suit.  You'll get a new house and a ZR1 Vette.  It's really that easy.  It's best if you let the receipt checker beat you really good first.

But then you fail and end up getting arrested instead of her.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]
state laws will vary and that will affect your decision. Im pretty sure in texas a person has the right to stop to detain a person to prevent a theft. I havent read that particular section of penal code recently but i would probably just show the guy my receipt and be on my way.

Now if he walked up and randomly put his hands on me to stop me or something a little more authoritative, then i would probably read him the riot warning and give him a half second to step down.

either way, the moral of my story is that you should walk around in life looking for situations to start a fight in just because you MIGHT be justified.

Remember no matter how bad you are, there is ALWAYS somebody badder than you and they dont always look the part.

How bad would it suck to get your ass kicked by a frys security guard over being belligerent and not showing him your  receipt?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Amateurs blade.

Pros apply "Monkey Steals the Peach."

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some of you guys are like fucking children I swear.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what I figured, I dont think this would happen to me as I am not a tiny guy.

But at the same time you never know, I was reading a story about this happening, and they would not allow the person to leave and taunted him as well.

Heres the link to the story, it is kind of old but I just was wondering what you guys would do in this situation.

http://consumerist.com/2007/08/tigerdirect-unlawfully-restrains-and-verbally-abuses-customer-for-not-submitting-to-receipt-showing.html

One thing to know about Fry's is that they WILL USE FORCE to detain you if they think you are stealing. Now, keep in mind, someone who just walked out from the checkout counter usually wont be getting "Halo'd" (their term for how they do takedowns as soon as the perpetrator takes his first step outside of the store).  The "Halo" is basically several employees planted outside the store in a half circle, the Internal Frys Investigator person will walk up, show you his fake Fry's police badge, and say you need to come back in the store with him. If you try and run, they will just tackle you in whichever direction you flee. If you make it off the property without being detained (illegaly), they will stop chasing via Fry's policy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#22]
At clubs like Sams and BJ's they have a right to ask for your receipt as it is a condition of your membership.

Any where else you should blade accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I would be an adult
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Only works if it's a girl beating you up.

1. Purchase goods
2. Attempt to leave, complete with blade/adrenaline dump/scream/warface
3. Receive female beat-down
4. ? (Possible humiliation)
5. Profit!

Alternatively, you could write the receipt-checker a letter and try to get the digits...
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I blade at 37 degrees.  All competent reciept checkers train against people blading at 45.  This way I give them something unexpected!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing to know about Fry's is that they WILL USE FORCE to detain you if they think you are stealing. Now, keep in mind, someone who just walked out from the checkout counter usually wont be getting "Halo'd" (their term for how they do takedowns as soon as the perpetrator takes his first step outside of the store).  The "Halo" is basically several employees planted outside the store in a half circle, the Internal Frys Investigator person will walk up, show you his fake Fry's police badge, and say you need to come back in the store with him. If you try and run, they will just tackle you in whichever direction you flee. If you make it off the property without being detained (illegaly), they will stop chasing via Fry's policy.

Ive never been into a "fry's" but would love to see that.

where have these security guards learned there "tackling" techniques?

Were they collegiate football players?  Or all state wrestlers?

Would love to see them try to perform that technique on a huge running back / all state wrestler LOL....  would enjoy seeing the person sprawling and having the security guards face plant into the concrete.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

here's how I would handle it (edit to add...) if I was singled out and other people had passed through without being asked:

me:  "call your store manager and have him meet me here right now.  In the meanwhile, I'm calling my attorney."

If at Sam's club, I have my receipt out and ready to go.  I expect to be checked when shopping there, but nowhere else.
Sam's CLUB! It's a private club and I suspect that having your receipt checked is part of the terms of membership. In Wal-mart, that's another story!

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Purchase goods
5. Profit!

Alternatively, you could write the receipt-checker a letter and try to get the digits...

to turn her into orchid food....
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Then you'll realize some fights just arent fucking worth fighting.

That's weak to the extreme.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#30]
A) Didn't you post this exact same topic like a month ago?
B) How's that fight with your friend coming along?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Cunt punch and go on about your way.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#32]
In some states they have the right to detain you if they have probable cause to suspect you of theft.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This is the only correct answer.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Purchase goods

5. Profit!

to turn her into orchid food....

Only works at Home Depot

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would love to see them try to perform that technique on a huge running back / all state wrestler LOL....  would enjoy seeing the person sprawling and having the security guards face plant into the concrete.

If lost prevention see's someone trying to steal, they grab random employees who they think would be capable to perform a "take down". Their is no training for those employees, other than the "takedown" videos they would show in training. It is a very dangerous practice, and I am quite surprised Fry's has been able to keep from getting sued into oblivion.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I am soo tempted to make a fake reciept that shows only fake items like obscene and ridiculous sex toys.

or

Maybe wave my hand and say "this isnt the car stereo you were looking for" and try the Jedi Mind Trick.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I always hand them the receipt.  Sometimes I'll accompany it with a really good fart.  That will usually result in a wave of the hand in a general 'get the fuck out of my store' manner.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and if tackled, MASSIVE adrenaline dump should help with evasion!

Or just massive dump to get him to back off...

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I got better things to do with my time than get into a pissing contest over showing my receipt.  I don't like it but hey...10 seconds or less then done.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#40]
It's civil and not worth your time/money. 4th amendment dosent apply to private citizens (the security guard detaining you). Go ahead and call the cops, waste a few hours of your life for not following simple instructions, while you're at it get in a fight with security. Then you get to be detained by the police, hooray! If you are lucky you get your CCW permit revoked for not controlling your temper.  Act like an adult not a wanna be ACLU-ist, if you don't like store policy somewhere bring your business elsewhere. I don't shop at certain grocery stores because I don't agree with their store policies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sam's CLUB! It's a private club and I suspect that having your receipt checked is part of the terms of membership. In Wal-mart, that's another story!

My local walmart does that.  I've been so tempted to walk out anyhow.  Downside is if i get banned, the wife will set my manly parts on fire.

Now, I have been tempted lately to OC in walmart again.  Just to piss off management.  By company policy they can either ask me to leave, conceal, or stash it.  Again, death by wife.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Take the security guy to the back of the store and make him lift TV's until he sees God.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#43]
is there some reason not to just take 2 seconds and show the receipt?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What does state law say? Some states his actions are legal, some they are not.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I always hand them the receipt.  Sometimes I'll accompany it with a really good fart.  That will usually result in a wave of the hand in a general 'get the fuck out of my store' manner.

This sounds like the best method. At least make them earn the reciept by abusing their olfactory senses.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Depends, are they stopping everyone or just me?

If just me, he's gonna get trampled when I see a mouse and run over him out of fear
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Stop being a dick and show my receipt
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If lost prevention see's someone trying to steal, they grab random employees who they think would be capable to perform a "take down". Their is no training for those employees, other than the "takedown" videos they would show in training. It is a very dangerous practice, and I am quite surprised Fry's has been able to keep from getting sued into oblivion.

Sears did this too. I worked in the autoshop back in college and we'd occasionally get a call from LP to assist with a thief.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#50]
forgive me, but:

the key word here being "UNLAWFULLY!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top