Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 5:10:56 PM EDT

Subject: FW:

Vietnam Veterans Association By Dick Forrey

We asked our local Target store to be a sponsor of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event. We received back a reply from Target management that "veterans do not meet our area of giving. We only donate to the areas of the arts, social actions, gay and lesbian causes, and education."

My thought: If the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans in general, do not meet their donation criteria, something is wrong at Target. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds, but simply sponsorship of an endorsement for a memorial remembrance.

As follow-up, I E-mailed the corporate headquarters and their response was the same. Personally, I will NOT be purchasing anything at Target Stores again. If the Vietnam Veteran or Veterans in general do not meet their area of giving, then why should I, as a Vietnam veteran, spend my hard earned money in their stores?

Please pass this on to as many people as you know.

Sincerely,

Veterans Helping Veterans

(TARGET IS FRENCH OWNED. WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT)

PS: Target will also not allow the Marines to

collect for "Toys For Tots" during the holidays.

============================

Clyde F Hix

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Urban legend - don't get too carried away

www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

... maybe this email was put out by Walmart or some other competitor of Target's
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Individual stores are not allowed to give out donations, it has to go through corporate HQ.

urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-target-veterans.htm

I contacted the Target Corporation, which informed me that the above incident did actually happen, but it was a case of miscommunication, not a blanket refusal on the company's part to support Vietnam Veterans.

The specific request was turned down, Target says, because company policy prohibits individual stores from handing out donations except in the form of gift cards. Requests for cash grants must go through corporate headquarters.

"Unfortunately," Target's statement continues, "the veteran and his organization were not provided the proper information to facilitate consideration of a grant from either the store or our corporate office. We are truly sorry for the manner in which this was handled and the resulting confusion that has taken place."

According to a Veterans of Foreign Wars press release defending the company, Target has agreed to be a corporate sponsor of the 2003 tour of The Wall that Heals, a traveling replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Snopes says the e-mail is bunk.

www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Edited to add:  Dang, I'm the third one.  I think that constitutes "piling on."
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol, 3 BS calls in 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell, I got it, and thought I'd pass it in.

A lot of you guys are FAR more internet saavy than I am.

Thanks for the inside scoop.

pic, out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hell, I got it, and thought I'd pass it in.

A lot of you guys are FAR more internet saavy than I am.

Thanks for the inside scoop.

pic, out.

Thanks for not calling us nerds!  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Nerds!

TXL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top