Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:29:17 PM EDT
As I was driving this afternoon I popped in "...And Justice For All.", Thought my ears were about to bleed, but I loved it.

Damn, I wish they wouldn't of gone all soft and corporate.

I want my music back!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
yep the black album was ok and it really went down hill with load

First Metallica song i heard was shortest straw when I was 14
I thought it was about the coolest shit ever .... still do pretty much
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The Pre-Black Album were their best years by far. The Black Album was their transition album, everything after that sucks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
They still get angry when talking about iPods (and Apple and sound cards on computers and the Internet and the MP3 file format and Napster and so on).  If they channeled that energy back into their music, they might start making music again that their fans like.z
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They still get angry when talking about iPods (and Apple and sound cards on computers and the Internet and the MP3 file format and Napster and so on).  If they channeled that energy back into their music, they might start making music again that their fans like.z

Fuck Lars. Lars is an ass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
St. Anger sucked.

What happened to the guitar solos?

Hello!!! You have one of the best guitar players in the world in your band, but no guitar solos!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Awsome.  A thread demonstrating that the biggest trend in music is hating Metallica because you're idiots.  Other than sheer spite there is NO REASON to dislike Load and Reload.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaah, Metallica doesn't make music like I want them to so they suck wahhhhhhhhhhhh.  Give me a fucking break.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
They've been through rehab.  They've become one with teh suck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish there was a "FREE" program that could strip the words out of the songs so I could just listen to the instruments only.

Shortest Straw is a kick ass song...

The Shortest Straw  

Suspicion is your name
Your honesty to blame
Put dignity to shame
Dishonor
Witchhunt modern day
Determining decay
The blattand disarray
Disfigure
The public eyes' disgrace
Defying common place
Unending paper chase
Unending

Deafening
Painstaking
Reckoning
This vertigo it doth bring

Shortest straw
Challenge liberty
Downed by law
Live in infamy
Rub you raw
Witchhunt riding through
Shortest straw
This shortest straw has been pulled for you

Pulled for you
Shortest straw
Pulled for you
Shortest straw
Pulled for you
Shortest straw
Shortest straw has been pulled for you

The accusations fly
Discrimination, why?
Your inner self to die
Intruding
Doubt sunk itself in you
It's teeth and talons through
Your living catch 22
Deluding

A mass hysteria
A megalomania
Reveal dementia
Reveal

Secretly
Silently
Certainly
In vertigo you will be

Shortest straw
Chalenge liberty
Downed by law
Live in infamy
Rub you raw
Witchhunt riding through
Shortest straw

Pulled for you
Shortest straw
Pulled for you
Shortest straw
Pulled for you
Shortest straw

Shortest straw
Pulled for you
Shortest straw
Pulled for you
Shortest straw
Pulled for you
Shortest straw

Behind you, hands are tied
Your being, ostracized
Your hell is multiplied
Upending
The fallaout has begun
Oppresive damage done
Your many turned to none
To nothing
You're reaching your nadir
Your will has disappeared
The lie is crystal clear
Defending

Channels red
One word said
Blaclisted
With vertigo make you dead

Shortest straw
Chalenge liberty
Downed by law
Live in infamy
Rub you raw
Witchhunt riding through
Shortest straw
Pulled for you  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Awsome.  A thread demonstrating that the biggest trend in music is hating Metallica because you're idiots.  Other than sheer spite there is NO REASON to dislike Load and Reload.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaah, Metallica doesn't make music like I want them to so they suck wahhhhhhhhhhhh.  Give me a fucking break.

I loved the black album.  I liked Load and Reload.

St. Anger was sh!t.  Plain and simple.  Lars can stuff his ting ting ting snare drum up his ass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Side two of the Black album was the beginning of the end. Nothing else matters? WTF?

Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice were the high points, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Just pure pissed off anger, very dark, but damn its good music!

One  

I can't remember anything
Can't tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside i feel to scream
This terrible silence stops me

Now that the war is through with me
I'm waking up i can not see
That there is not much left of me
Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as i wish for death
Oh please god,wake me

Back in the womb its much too real
In pumps life that i must feel
But can't look forward to reveal
Look to the time when i'll live

Fed through the tube that sticks in me
Just like a wartime novelty
Tied to machines that make me be
Cut this life off from me

Hold my breath as i wish for death
Oh please god,wake me
Now the world is gone i'm just one
Oh god,help me hold my breath as i wish for death
Oh please god help me

Darkness imprisoning me
All that i see
Absolute horror
I cannot live
I cannot die
Trapped in myself
Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dyers Eve  

Dear mother
Dear father
What is this hell you have put me through
Believer
Deceiver
Day in day out live my life through you
Pushed onto me what's wrong or right
Hidden from this thing that they call life

Dear mother
Dear father
Every thought i'd think you'd disapprove
Curator
Dictator
Always cencoring my every move
Children are seen bur are not heard
Tear out everything inspired

Innocence
Torn from me without your shelter
Barred reality
I'm living blindly

Dear mother
Dear father
Time has frozen still what's left to be
Hear nothing
Say nothing
Cannot face the fact i think for me
No guarantee,it's life as is
But damn you for not giving me my chance

Dear mother
Dear father
You've clipped my wings before i learned to fly
Unspoiled
Unspoken
I've outgrown that fucking lullaby
Same thing i've always heard from you
Do as i say not as i do

Innocence
Torn from me without your shelter
Barred reality
I'm living blindly
I'm in hell without you
Cannot cope without you two
Shocked at the world that i see
Innocent victim please rescue me

Dear mother
Dear father
Hidden in your world you've made for me
I'm seething
I'm bleeding
Ripping wounds in me that never heal
Undying spite i feel for you
Living out this hell you always knew
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually liked Load and ReLoad....not at first, but it grew on me.  Yes....it was not the typical in your face Metallica.....but it was still Metallica.  It was something different, which I liked.  

Now when it comes to St. Anger...I will agree with everyone else....it sucked!!  It just sounded like they were trying to copy some of the crap bands that are out today. All de-tuned guitar stuff with no guitar solos.  It was trulley a load of crap.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I own load , reload , and saint anger  it is passable music but  I PREFER the old stuff by a large margin
heck i even like S&M
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own load , reload , and saint anger  it is passable music but  I PREFER the old stuff by a large margin
heck i even like S&M

Oh, I prefer the older stuff as well.  But to say Load and Reload are bad albums is just idiocity.  They're not carbon-copies of RTL, MOP or ...AJFA so all the Metallica-haters don't actually listen to them and see that although they aren't as fast they're every bit as heavy and the solos have WAY more emotion.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heck i even like S&M

Oh, I prefer the older stuff as well.  But to say Load and Reload are bad albums is just idiocity.  They're not carbon-copies of RTL, MOP or ...AJFA so all the Metallica-haters don't actually listen to them and see that although they aren't as fast they're every bit as heavy and the solos have WAY more emotion.

And your comments on St. Sh!tpile?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I stopped listening to any Metalica made after their announcement in no-uncertain terms that they did music for the money and not for the fans, and that their fans could sit on it and rotate for all they cared.

Fuck Metalica.  Every song I have of theirs I downloaded, and will do so until they stop being such profiteering douchebags.  If you want to make good music (or bad music) for your fans and because you get the opprotunity to play, then people will respond accordingly.  When you want to prosecute people for listening to music before they buy an album to see if its good or not because you didn't get your money first (AKA a test drive), you are a profiteering douchebag who isn't in it for the music or the fans anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heck i even like S&M

I can listen to the live rehearsal shit on the DVD, but not the regular album.  There's a lot of good riffs in there but the song-writing in general is really weak and the snare sounds is....... interesting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I stopped listening to any Metalica made after their announcement in no-uncertain terms that they did music for the money and not for the fans, and that their fans could sit on it and rotate for all they cared.

Fuck Metalica.  Every song I have of theirs I downloaded, and will do so until they stop being such profiteering douchebags.  If you want to make good music (or bad music) for your fans and because you get the opprotunity to play, then people will respond accordingly.  When you want to prosecute people for listening to music before they buy an album to see if its good or not because you didn't get your money first (AKA a test drive), you are a profiteering douchebag who isn't in it for the music or the fans anymore.

They were a$$holish in those regards, but I know lots of people who think music is free and "download" all they can for their enjoyment.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heck i even like S&M

I can listen to the live rehearsal shit on the DVD, but not the regular album.  There's a lot of good riffs in there but the song-writing in general is really weak and the snare sounds is....... interesting.

Ting ting ting ting.

Ting ting ting ting ting.

Ting ting ting ting.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I stopped listening after the Black album.

They lost their angst, anger and spite.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were a$$holish in those regards, but I know lots of people who think music is free and "download" all they can for their enjoyment.

I'll buy an album when the whole album is worth listening to. Its a rarity anymore though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heck i even like S&M

Ting ting ting ting.

Ting ting ting ting.

That's the best part about the rehearsal DVD.  Lars uses a "normal" snare sound.  Plus the guitars sound heavier and the bass sounds a hell of a lot better with Rob playing it than with Bob.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I concur in regards to the newer albums. St. Anger blew doors, I would say largely in part to lacking guitar solos.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Probably because by that time they weren't kids anymore and didn't have anything to be angry at.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Pantera?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm gonna go with Zakk.
St. Anger had a lot of potential.
Get rid of the tinny snares, put Rob on bass, and give Kirk some solos, it would have been great.
Polish up the lyrics some too.
"Invisble Kid" lyrics were shit.
Basically, they rushed it, prolly because James was in rehab for so long.
So that is my opinion - if it hadn't been so rushed it would have been good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because by that time they weren't kids anymore and didn't have anything to be angry at.

Exactly.

They have been pacified.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets.  Stop after that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Oh please. You have no right to "test drive" their music. You are getting it illegally without paying for it. Buying the album later doesn't make it right. And I highly doubt the majority of music downloaders buy the music afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You forgot  ...and Justic for All, after that put down Metallica and put in bands like Lamb of God, Trivium, Mudvayne, Pantera, Mastodon, Hatebreed, etc.

There is also old school Iron Maiden, Slayer, etc.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please. You have no right to "test drive" their music. You are getting it illegally without paying for it. Buying the album later doesn't make it right. And I highly doubt the majority of music downloaders buy the music afterwards.

When you find a music store that will accept the opened package full of substandard music, you let me know.  I hate finding out that I purchased a big shiny disc of shit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Pantera?

R.I.P. Dimebag.........Earlier Metallica was the shit!......I prefer the angry, drunken James hetfield as a lyricist than Mr. I-Have -Emotions-Too James Hetfield....they just got soft......and old...and rich.....all of which made them try to mess with what made them successful.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you find a music store that will accept the opened package full of substandard music, you let me know.  I hate finding out that I purchased a big shiny disc of shit.

Trust me, I feel the same way. I think record labels should come out with a way for people to sample cd's legally maybe like Amazon.com does. But I would be pissed as hell if people were ripping me off and getting the fruits of my labor without paying for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you seen the "Napster, Strip Tease" ad?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heck i even like S&M

Ting ting ting ting.

Ting ting ting ting.

That's the best part about the rehearsal DVD.  Lars uses a "normal" snare sound.  Plus the guitars sound heavier and the bass sounds a hell of a lot better with Rob playing it than with Bob.

I prefer the DVD to the album too. I blame Bob Rock for the shitty sound.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#36]
You want them angry?  Write to them and tell them how much you love ripping them off with free downloads from the Internet!

Also, mention you're starting a Napster.ru and there isn't shit they can do about it!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Someone needs to invent a time machine so we can travel back in time to see Metallica perform their And Justice For All Tour
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Someone needs to invent a time machine so we can travel back in time to see Metallica perform their And Justice For All Tour

Funny you should say that... I was just hanging a clock over my toilet, slipped and hit my head on the sink...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This is about as close as it gets...video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=85364023629&userid=eV3HAS4DXJ&frm=0&itm=3

2 concerts; pre-Black Albumn, one Black Album tour.  I liked the Just for All tour concert best.

I never made it to see Metallica in concert; I'm not a fan of the albums after the Black Album personally. It's like someone started feeding them Prozac in their food or something; the previous anger is gone. And it's what made their music so great, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Some of us were old enough to have seen Metallica play for their MOP and KTA tours when they were opening acts for bigger bands (Ozzy), or played in little hole-in-the-wall bars... Now that is an experience I'll never forget!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#42]
ETA. Sorry, double tap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong Zak. I like Metallica. I own all of they're CD's and i have seen them in concert.
I still think St. Anger sucks ass. No Guitar Solos.

I'll stick with BLS til Metallica rembers what got them where they are today.

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY FUCKING RULES. I'm sure you at least agree with that statement ZAK.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Amen! Thrash Metal was perfected with Master of Puppets.

(Manowar still rules though)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#45]
....And Justice for All   is the greatest metal album of all time. I have always loved Metallica, since I was about 10 years old. They still kick ass, even if some later records didnt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Side two of the Black album was the beginning of the end. Nothing else matters? WTF?

Side two?  What, you flip the CD over?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong Zak. I like Metallica. I own all of they're CD's and i have seen them in concert.
I still think St. Anger sucks ass. No Guitar Solos.

I'll stick with BLS til Metallica rembers what got them where they are today.

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY FUCKING RULES. I'm sure you at least agree with that statement ZAK.

I don't care if you dislike certain albums.  Hell, I haven't listened to S&M in about 4 years.  I have a problem with people saying the band sucks in general because they dislike Load or Reload or TBA or St. Anger or whichever is the "in" album to bitch about.  

And I obviously agree that BLS fucking rules
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
....And Justice for All   is the greatest metal album of all time. I have always loved Metallica, since I was about 10 years old. They still kick ass, even if some later records didnt.

Fixed

Well, it's the best metal album of all time, too.........
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of us were old enough to have seen Metallica play for their MOP and KTA tours when they were opening acts for bigger bands (Ozzy), or played in little hole-in-the-wall bars... Now that is an experience I'll never forget!

I'd kill dozens and dozens of innocent people to go back in time and see Metallica play a club show.  Hell, I'd do that to see them play a club show now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Side two?  What, you flip the CD over?

Probably talking about the cassette.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top