Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 1:53:39 PM EDT
You know, with large machine bolts and the white tips off of kitchen matches?

Damn, we used to be able to have fun in ways that kids today just can't.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:54:23 PM EDT
'splain please!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:59:31 PM EDT
remember white tip matches
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:05:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
'splain please!

I'm not going to go into the mechanics of it, but essentially it used 2 or 3 match tips set up in a mechanical orientation with the bolts so that when a bolt was "tossed" to the ground it would "pop" rather loudly.

They later came out with a cast version of this sold in convenience stores, etc, that used paper "caps" like you'd use in cap guns.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:33:11 PM EDT
I had the little bomb that took the paper caps.
it was ok
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:42:02 PM EDT
Naw... I used to cut the shot out of shotgun shells, then tape a marble to the primer.

Throw and run! w00t!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:56:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
You know, with large machine bolts and the white tips off of kitchen matches?

Damn, we used to be able to have fun in ways that kids today just can't.

I remember them well.
Over here in the UK we used the sulphur type matches
"SHIT" them things were so erratic and unpredictable they were lethal

BAN THEM now!! ...do it for the children

I'm so lucky and glad I survived my youth. Damn I did some stoopid stuff as a kid, I just hope I dont hear about my sons exploits. It'd turn my hair grey.

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 3:09:36 PM EDT by GusHasford]
Maybe if you drilled out the center of the bolts you could get more match heads in there.

Maybe if you just barely thread the bolts you can get more match heads in there.

Maybe when the thing goes BOOM and you hear one of the bolts banging around thru your dad's garage you had better walk away and hope he don't find out.

All this is just hypothetical..never happened.

Dad never did find out

Do not try this at home. When I was younger I was bulletproof.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:11:29 PM EDT
We made gun powder.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:20:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ger42:
We made gun powder.

please dont tell my son

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:00:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ger42:
We made gun powder.

Yep. Use to be able to buy all the "fixin's" at the local drug store. Use to have great fun blowing things up, until 2 friends blew themselves up while mixing up a batch. One lost a couple fingers and screwed up his hand, the other almost bleed out when a piece of shrapnel nicked his femoral artery.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:34:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 4:36:56 PM EDT by g3shooter]
I attached fuse to model rocket engines and shoved them into a pipe and made my own recoilless rifle, i'm 16 BTW that was a year ago! I thought it was cool, had to watch out for backblast.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT by Sub-MOA]
It is unwise to discuss the things that you were lucky to have lived through as a child.

Children get kicked out of school these days for drawing “threatening pictures.”

ETA: I personally witnessed a “bolt banger” blow a 4 inch hole through a hanging ceiling and a steel roof covered in asphalt. They are more than capable of killing someone if you are inventive and incautious.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:41:42 PM EDT
when I was in the Air Force, we built a potato gun and would launch apples at the water tower at the back of the base.

We also burned up alot of stuff with smokeless powder, I can't beleive my parents let me reload at 16.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:48:53 PM EDT
Shotgun rounds salvaged from the local dump...

I made a mortar out of 1 1/4" heavy wall pipe - used to launch broomsticks using the old rounds with the shot removed....

POINT TOWARDS THE VACANT LOT...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:50:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sub-MOA:
It is unwise to discuss the things that you were lucky to have lived through as a child.

Children get kicked out of school these days for drawing “threatening pictures.”

When I had moved out and was living on my own, I started finding out all sorts of things my dad did when he was a kid. Flushing cherry bombs down the school toliets, punching holes thru the barn walls with a ball bearing gun, etc....

I asked my dad why he never mentioned any of this when I was growing up. Seems my mom put her foot down when us kids were born and told dad there would be no "stories" until we were old enough to either know better or pay our own bail.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:01:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
'splain please!

I'm not going to go into the mechanics of it, but essentially it used 2 or 3 match tips set up in a mechanical orientation with the bolts so that when a bolt was "tossed" to the ground it would "pop" rather loudly.

They later came out with a cast version of this sold in convenience stores, etc, that used paper "caps" like you'd use in cap guns.

We used to use spokes from a bike. You would thread the spoke in backwards and scrape match heads in there. Once the opening was near full stuff a spit wad in there and heat. It would go off like a cannon.
Like most kids we wanted more boom so we used thicker motorcycle spokes. Then a .177 BB fit well you know the rest.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:06:22 PM EDT
two words "railway torpedoes"

I did lots of stupid crap when younger, worst was boiling dynamite to make nitro glycerine, heard about it on a western so I figured I woudl give it a try..... Didn't kill me (obviously) but it sure made a mess out of the garage when I left it "simmering" while I went inside th ehouse for a bit
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:12:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
two words "railway torpedoes"

I did lots of stupid crap when younger, worst was boiling dynamite to make nitro glycerine, heard about it on a western so I figured I woudl give it a try..... Didn't kill me (obviously) but it sure made a mess out of the garage when I left it "simmering" while I went inside th ehouse for a bit

Your post reminded me of a time when, at eleven years of age, a buddy of mine and I were exploring mine shafts on some corporate land owned by a mining conglomerate. We were smart kids, we brought a little white mouse from the pet store in a small wire cage, and if the fumes underground killed the mouse we got the hell out of dodge (happened more than once, BTW).

Anyway, freakiest thing to happen was when we discovered an old wooden crate way in an old mine tunnel, it was from the 1940s at the latest, and was a wood box with cross braces to from an egg carton sort of look. In the box was a bed of moldy rotten straw, and in three of the compartments, little film canister sized brown bottles.

The box said: NITROGLYCERYN.

We did not touch it.

In fact, we told our parents who got the authorities involved. The nitro was so old they figured that even touching it would set it off. So they wired a blasting cap to the side of the box, and ran a 200 yard wire to their detonator. Blast was HUGE! Caved in something like 150 yards of tunnel.

We weren't allowed to go "exploring" after that for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:54:18 PM EDT
We used to make match rockets and launch them in the house.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:00:04 PM EDT
Yep!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT

The box said: NITROGLYCERYN.

We did not touch it.

Sissy!

Kidding. Glad you survived your youth.

I never got away with that much. My dad always knew most of what I was doing, and despite all the stuff in the basement, I was almost always missing one or two vital ingedients. Yes, there was a two pound bottle of powdered AL down there, and strike anywhere matches, and forty pounds of powder. I knew enough (barely!) not to try making pipe bombs.

My ten fingers say 'thanks Dad'.

ETA - had real guns early on, if I wanted to go shooting it was just a question of getting up early enough to go on a range run. I probably made out better this way.
Top Top