Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 9:18:35 AM EDT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060202/ap_en_tv/faust_video

BENNETT, Colo. - Some parents in this prairie town are angry with an elementary school music teacher for showing pupils a video about the opera "Faust," whose title character sells his soul to the devil in exchange for being young again.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Any adult with common sense would not think that video was appropriate for a young person to see. I'm not sure it's appropriate for a high school student," Robby Warner said after two of her children saw the video.

Another parent, Casey Goodwin, said, "I think it glorifies Satan in some way."

Tresa Waggoner showed approximately 250 first-, second- and third-graders at Bennett Elementary portions of a 33-year-old series titled "Who's Afraid of Opera" a few weeks ago.

The video features the soprano Dame Joan Sutherland and three puppet friends discussing Gounod's "Faust." Waggoner thought it would be a good introduction to opera.

Her critics questioned the decision to show children a portrayal of the devil, Mephistopheles, along with a scene showing a man being killed by a sword and a reference to suicide.

School Superintendent George Sauter said the teacher should not have shown the video to children below the fourth grade but will not lose her job. She has sent letter of apology to all elementary school parents in Bennett, population 2,400 and about 25 miles east of Denver on Colorado's eastern plains.

"I was definitely not sensitive to the conservative nature of the community, and I've learned that," Waggoner said in Sunday's editions of The Denver Post. "However, from what has been said about me, that I'm a Satan worshipper, my character, I can't believe all of this. My intention was just to expose the kids to opera."

Waggoner, who is in her first year teaching vocal music in Bennett, said she doesn't expect to stay in town.

"I know I'm not accepted here, that I'm not welcome here by the parents," she said. "It's a very uncomfortable position."

Are these people really that stupid? Do they even know what Faust (Faustus, more correctly) is even about? Yeah, he sells his sell to the devil. That's like saying Red Dawn is about teenagers killing people with stolen machine guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Parents get angry about shit like this.

But they allow there kids to meet people they met online.

Some Parents just have no clue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
These are the same morons who think that Ouija Boards are possesed by demons.  When you are so culturally invested in one occult belief system, you must vigirously fight against all other competing occult beliefs in order to maintain control over your congregation or else you run the risk of them discovering just what a load of bullshit you've been feeding them all these years.  And that tends to errode your power base and decrease your income.

And that's what religion is all about - money and power.  Otherwise, who gives a shit about an old play about a mythical "devil" character, anyway.  Unless it threatens your personal authority over other people, of course.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Video games are bad too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Worship Satan, mmkay.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That was an embarassing display of ignorance.

'Another parent, Casey Goodwin, said, "I think it glorifies Satan in some way." '

Y'know, before I make a public spectacle of myself, I think I'd find out for sure.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
God forbid that those kids are exposed to some actual art.

They should stick to wholesome things, like the Bible and the Wiggles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top