Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2002 11:51:35 AM EDT
You don't see this kind of sniper shootings in Tx. or Fla. because they allow a armed public, you will only see crap like this in states where the do not allow the public to carry, interesting is it not. And before someone raises the issue of Whitman, they got him, with the help of a armed public who kept him pinned down so the police could do their thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I get your sentiment but its not entirely true.

Just a couple years ago there was a guy sniping at cars on the interstate near Jacksonville FL.

Its true though that Texas hasn't had anything like this since 1964. But then, there was Austin and that was probably the biggest case of this there ever was.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't be so sure...

[url=http://www.mcsm.org/churchshoot.html]Gunman "didn't seem right in the head"
[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, but the prev. mentioned cases were for in all reality suicides, this MD. thing the guy tries to get away, not a death wish type, yet anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The guy's a spree killer, getting off on killing for it's own sake and for the thrill/rush of it.  You don't just wind that high down and stop.  It's "a need for speed", and he'll end up stopping when he's been caught or killed.

It has nothing to do with gun control or RKBA- as a matter of fact, it's doing damage to those issues the more it continues.  Remember Purdy and the Stockton schoolyard massacres?

That led directly to the original AW ban, IIRC.

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I am all for concealed carry laws and don't like states or people that are anti-gun, but that has nothing to do with catching a sniper.

We did see this happen here in VA and we have just as good, if not better, concealed carry laws than Texas or Florida.

Everybody in the country could have been carrying 2 guns when these shootings happened and nothing would be different because of one simple fact...

NOBODY HAS EVEN SEEN THE SHOOTER(S) YET!!!

The only way somebody with a CCP would be able to stop something like is happening is if the shooter(s) screw up so bad as to let somebody close-by see what they are doing. But if they were that careless in the first place, I imagine they will be caught some other way first.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:18:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Virginia is a "shall-issue" state, and has [b]OPEN[/b] carry most places.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Wasn't there also a fairly recent incident in Texas where a man made a false 911 call and then sniped several (3?) police officers who responded?
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Outside of Pleasanton,  (Near San Antonio)  A guy arrested for domestic violence the previous day called the sheriff's department and then killed officers as they drove down the country road to his trailer. The only officer with time enough to put out a call was the DPS Trooper.
If I remember correctly,  the last to die.  
 It was a pre-planned attack (his buddy helped him buy ammo and set up the kill zone.) and he used an AK. He was then tracked down and killed in the woods behind his trailer.

Just as a point of interest,  the number of officers killed with assault weapons in central Texas stands at 7 in two years. More than any other weapon.
(5 AK's 1 SKS and a mini-14)

That's why I get so pissed at the "You only need a shotgun and a .38" crowd.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's why I get so pissed at the "You only need a shotgun and a .38" crowd.

View Quote

Actually, it's a "10/22 and a .38"...ask Imbroglio  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Charles Whitman and a clock tower have any meaning for you??

In what state was President Kennedy assinated?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top