Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/22/2011 3:00:30 PM EDT
I've been cutting Grandma's grass this Summer.  Grandma can't do it, and I'm the only grandbaby who isn't in jail, moved away with a drug addict wife beater, or otherwise unable/unwilling to do it.  Grandma lives in a trailer, with a lot barely bigger than the mobile home.  It takes me like 10 minutes or less to do it.  Usually Grandma insists on paying me for it.  She says it's for gas since I live so far away(it's like five miles.)  I've got a job, I have enough money, and I'm not on a fixed income.  If I take the money, I feel guilty.  If I don't Grandma feels guilty.  

ARFCOM, in this deal, who should feel guilty?  I always try to refuse, but I get brow beaten into it.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the money to buy her a gift or something.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure, shes grateful you do it so she wants to give you something for it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This, if she insists.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Trade labor for yummy grandma cooked meals.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course, other wise she would spend it on purchasing bags of those old peoples yellow candies...
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Take the money and buy some Ajax

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You do what Grandma wants you to do.  Period.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Let her take you to the Old Folks Buffet instead.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
take the money...  

forget it on the table.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fuck, I came in here to post something like that

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, if she insists.

That's the right answer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Let her take you to the Old Folks Buffet instead.

This. Save the money she gives you, and take her out to dinner with it or something.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Put it into a savings account to help pay for her lodging when she gets put in a home.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Grandma's cooking isn't the best.  

Grandma thinks black pepper is too spicy.  A cup of sugar is too much for the Kool-Aid, and she wonders why her's always tastes bad.  I used margarine instead of butter, why didn't the cake turn out?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#16]

do you really think she would offer if she didn't want you to have it? allow her the satisfaction.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
How much money are we talking here?

If it were me, i'd take the $5, but i'd bring her a bag of groceries with me when I came to cut the grass.

You feel good, she feels good.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a neat idea a friend told me about.

Of course depends if your Grandmother uses a beauty salon.
Take the money but go down to her favorite beauty salon and pre-pay for her.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck, I came in here to post something like that

Dammit me too!

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good advice!

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Many good answers in this thread.

Grandma wants to pay you because she appreciates your effort and it makes her feel like she's not imposing on you.  If she will let you treat her to dinner somewhere; you get to pay her back and spend time with her.  And she'll love it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Grandma thinks black pepper is too spicy.  A cup of sugar is too much for the Kool-Aid, and she wonders why her's always tastes bad.  I used margarine instead of butter, why didn't the cake turn out?  

a CUP..  damn.. thats alot of suger..  
is that right?  a CUP    damn..

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Take the money, its sometimes an insult not to take it. Later in the summer take grandma out for a good meal and pay for it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Demand cookies in lieu of cash next time. It's a win win.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This. And if refuse it , it will probably hurt her feelings. Buy her something with it, take her to dinner etc.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This, or put the money aside and take her out to eat somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is what I do, although I live about 20-25 miles from my grandparents so mine will typically force me to take SOME gas money, even though I try to fit in the grass mowing jobs with the times I'd regularly come up to see them anyways.

The beauty shop pre-pay idea is a good one, I'm gonna do that next time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I protest, but it usually still ends up in my pocket.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#30]
She's your grandmother.  Tell her to keep the money and bake you cookies!

I doubt I would feel comfortable taking the money.  Family (the non-backstabbing kind) should look out for each other without having to be compensated.  I make an exception for baked goods though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a CUP..  damn.. thats alot of suger..  

is that right?  a CUP    damn..

So, I take it you've never made Kool-Aid before.  

A cup is what's called for.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bingo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Take it.  Buy something nice with it or take your woman out on a date.

Whenever I do work for my grandparents my grandma usually gives me some money and no is definitely not an answer for her.

So instead I take it and use it to take my girl out to a movie or get some ice cream.  Then next time I see my grandma I let her know about it.  She loves hearing about it, to her it's worth more than the money.

edit:  I know the thought is nice behind buying her something with the money but I wouldn't do it.  If you do I especially wouldn't let her know you used the money she gave you on it.  That's not what she wants you to do with the money... at least in my grandma's case she wouldn't appreciate the gesture.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

in THAT case, just put it aside and take her some place nice. Or to bingo, maybe you can hook up with a nice Dr. or something.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#36]
One thing more to keep in mind, OP:  In about 10 years it's quite likely Grandma won't be asking you for anything anymore.  Cherish every moment you have with her now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes take the money,

Don't make grandma feel like e freeloader.

Save it up, and put it toward flowers, or the Mother's Day meal you are treating her to.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This or dinner!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Buy ammo with it and take her shooting. A full sized AR don't have that much of a kick....
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

this ... or do what i would do in a case like that .... my grandmother loves to bake ... and i know better then to say no to her for anything......keep telling her how much you like her cookies, banana bread, apple pie or what ever else .... tell her you don't want her $ but sure do love those cookies. soon enough she will give you cookies for doing the work, she feels happy, giving you something for the work, and is doing what she likes to do....  and you bring them to work, or give away to friends, so that you don't end up being a fat ass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]
My grandparents are crazy italians.

My grandma has no concept of money, and tries to give me 50 bucks every time I see her. My cousins are deadbeat fucks who take her money, and use her house for storage. Considering the grandparents are on a limited pension, I feel they need it more than me.

She stuffs it in my pocket, and I end up leaving it on a table somewhere, or giving it to my grandpa.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I would refuse to take the money and insist she cook something for me instead. This way she doesn't feel like she's just using me, and I get to eat some of her cooking.

My grandmother insists on giving me money still, even though I'm 30 and have a job.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been cutting Grandma's grass this Summer.  Grandma can't do it, and I'm the only grandbaby who isn't in jail, moved away with a drug addict wife beater, or otherwise unable/unwilling to do it.  Grandma lives in a trailer, with a lot barely bigger than the mobile home.  It takes me like 10 minutes or less to do it.  Usually Grandma insists on paying me for it.  She says it's for gas since I live so far away(it's like five miles.)  I've got a job, I have enough money, and I'm not on a fixed income.  If I take the money, I feel guilty.  If I don't Grandma feels guilty.  

ARFCOM, in this deal, who should feel guilty?  I always try to refuse, but I get brow beaten into it.  

As a kid yes as an adult no. Explain to grandma that paying you for helping her isn't going to happen. Family is there to help each other and the payment to you is the great feeling you get in doing so.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, if she insists.

This above..

Or I would just leave it in her house in an envelope when I left with her name on it and a thank you..
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#46]
This...........

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes.  Take her to dinner with it.  Or hire a maid to clean your dirty ass house!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Buy ammo with it and take her shooting. A full sized AR don't have that much of a kick....

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Use the money to buy oven cleaner, and a toilet brush.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYXJYQZ3FX0

I love this!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top