Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2001 8:20:20 AM EDT
[url]www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/142/metro/Club_gushes_over_Uzis+.shtml[/url]

Club gushes over Uzis

By Brian McGrory, Globe Staff, 5/22/2001

he headline in yesterday's Patriot Ledger was certainly unique: ''Fun
                     with firepower.''

The prominent story told of a fund-raising event in Hanson that allows
                 everyday people to pay for the thrill of firing off a variety of machine guns.
                 ''Incredible,'' one donor exclaimed after shooting an Uzi. ''Exhilarating,''
                 gushed her friend.

One of the pictures that accompanied the story was of a 3-year-old boy in
                 short pants getting what the newspaper caption describes as an ''up-close
                 look at one of the weapons.'' He is, in fact, toddling all around it.

How marvelous! How, well, incredibly exhilarating! Anyone can walk off the
                 street and sate their desire to fire a machine gun, to press their finger against
                 the delicate trigger and feel the explosion of so much power. And all for such
                 a good cause; a third of the proceeds will be sent to the Shriner's Hospital in
                 Boston.

So just one question remains: Have we lost our collective mind?

The organizers, the Hanson Rod and Gun Club, are quite sure we haven't,
                 that we can all come together and share the wonder of fully automatic
                 weaponry in total harmony. In fact, they lured 1,000 people to the eighth
                 annual festivities on Saturday.

''Some people like to sky dive. Some people like to scuba dive,'' says John
                 Davis, who ran the event. ''This is a new experience for them. They get to
                 fire a fully automatic firearm.''

They certainly do, and Davis has the bullet-riddled van to prove it. He
                 concedes that he's ''worried'' about the perception of the event, but quickly
                 adds that there are doctors, lawyers, and law enforcement officers who take
                 part in the shooting.

He also points out that because of a recently enacted town bylaw, kids are
                 now prohibited from firing the guns - a change from past years. ''Between
                 noon and one, the parents can allow their kids to take a closer look at the
                 firearms,'' he says.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
(continued)

Credit the Hanson town fathers - and mothers - for recognizing a truly awful
                 event. Two years ago, they tried to ban the shooting entirely, but lost in a
                 Town Meeting vote after gun club members recited their scripted rant about
                 losing their God-given right to bear arms.

Actually, officials were just trying to stop the show, and for good reason.

Here's what guns do: They kill. They might be shrewd investments, as Davis
                 points out. They might have significant historical value. They might be
                 beautiful to look at, thrilling for some people to hold, but the bottom line,
                 their intended purpose, the reason they were built, is to kill.

And kill they do. The teenage murderers at Columbine High School in
                 Littleton, Colo., had in their cache of weaponry a 9mm semi-automatic
                 carbine when they slayed 12 fellow students and a teacher in 1999. That
                 same type of lightweight semi-automatic rifle was also used in the Jonesboro
                 schoolyard massacre the year before. Five people died there.

Michael McDermott is charged with having an AK-47, a semi-automatic
                 rifle, when he allegedly went on his post-Christmas killing spree in Wakefield
                 last year that left seven dead.

It's nothing new, but worth repeating, to say that kids are bombarded with
                 violence. They see people shot to death every hour of every night on
                 network television. They play video games that are entirely geared toward
                 death. They see kids their age killing kids their age all across America, such
                 that school shootings aren't always front-page news anymore.

And now comes this gun group to glorify it all even more, to strip away the
                 distance, to put the weapons right in people's hands and tell children that
                 firing a machine gun is not only normal and healthy, but according to the
                 Patriot Ledger, ''fun.''

What might the men and women of the Hanson Rod and Gun Club say if the
                 next school shooting - and unfortunately, there's always a next school
                 shooting - is somewhere nearby?

Brian McGrory's e-mail address is [email protected]

This story ran on page 1 of the Boston Globe on 5/22/2001.
                 © Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I just sent that pusbag an email:

"Subject: Thank you for yesterday's article

After reading your article entitled "Club Gushes over Uzis", I want to express my gratitude by introducing several more of my 14 year old son's friends to the sport of shooting. I took my child shooting last weekend, and he is showing himself to be a natural with my AR15.

He asked me afterward why some people think that our outing to a gravel pit is an evil thing. I told him that there are neurotic people called "statists" who believe that all power is vested in the government. I also told him that these statists find the concept of personal freedom and responsibility abhorrent, and are terrified at the fact that an armed citizenry cannot be subjugated to the whims of the statist.

You asked "Have we lost our collective mind?" Unlike you, I do not believe in the collective. And you will find that the vast majority of shooters do not either. Our world is that of the individual, and of individual liberty. A liberty that we will jealously guard.

As long as I draw breath, I will be working to combat and sabotage the works of statists like yourself, Mr. McGrory.

Sincerely,
(AK2KX)"

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Your reply to this gentleman says it best.  Do let us know if he decides to reply.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I just knew it was my fault somehow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I sent the pushead an email and thanked him for the idea of having a machine gun shoot to raise money for worthy causes and told him he will
receive notice of when and where.
His "collective mind" will be spinning if I get our club to go for it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
That was my gun club, in Hanson MA, he was complaining about. [:D]  What a beautiful Saturday it was too, my first machine gun shoot...
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I also wrote to him.

Mr. McGrory,

I read your article entitled "Club Gushes over Uzis," and there was no mistaking your obvious anti-gun sentiment.  I must say, I find it somewhat insulting that you would use your First Amendment rights to attack my Second Amendment rights.  However, I won't tell you what you can and cannot say.  I will just show you how your words are more dangerous than my guns.

It is well known that about 35,000 people are killed each year by guns.  The anti-gun media, such as yourself, do a good job of repeating ad nauseum the atrocity of these deaths.  They do not, however, do a good job of reporting the 400,000 murders, 200,000 rapes, and nearly 2 million other violent crimes PREVENTED each year by gun owners defending themselves with a firearm (usually without even having to fire it).  Nor do they do a good job of reporting the average 25% LOWER violent crime rates in states that allow their citizens to carry a concealed firearm.  Or the nearly 100% reduction of crime in Kennesaw, Georgia after the town passed a law requiring all homeowners to keep a firearm.  Or that genocide as seen in countries like Nazi Germany, Communist China, or the Soviet Union under Stalin began with disarmament of the population.

If reporters and journalists, like yourself, continue to report not the whole truth, but only those parts of the truth that further your anti-gun agenda, the misinformed population will continue to elect and support leaders who also favor gun control.  It will become harder, then impossible, to get new guns, then existing guns will be confiscated from law-abiding citizens (though it will be impossible to track down and confiscate any illegally obtained guns owned by criminals).  Those 400,000 prevented murders will become actual murders.  Those 200,000 women who defend themselves from rapists will be raped.  Those 2 million prevented crimes will be committed.  Your slanted reporting will be responsible for 100 times more crime and death than we have now.

The men who wrote our Constitution put the Second Amendment in to insure that our right to own firearms would not be infringed, so that people would always have the ability to defend themselves, both from those who would attack their person, and from the a tyrannical government who would attack their freedom.  To take away that right is to desecrate all for which our Founding Fathers fought and died.

We can continue to be shocked that a child can get an "up-close look" at a gun, or we can teach the child how to SAFELY and RESPONIBLY handle firearms, and at the same time teach them to RESPECT others and take RESPONSIBILITY for their own actions.  Better they learn about guns from a qualified, safe instructor than from a gang on the street.

You stated that "kids are bombarded with violence. They see people shot to death every hour of every night on network television."  Well, if the media would glorify the people who defend themselves and their fellow citizens rather than kids who shoot up schools, that would be a good start towards reducing the problem.  And you would have a lot more stories to cover, too.
View Quote

I hope I was polite and informative.  It's so hard not to go off and start ranting...   [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]
i like the idea of a shoot to benifit the shriners hospital better yet a MG shoot.

i just wish the asshole that wrote the article
could c the fun in enjoying the shooting sports in a responsible manner and not ramble on about the columbine morons
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That was my gun club, in Hanson MA, he was complaining about. [:D]  What a beautiful Saturday it was too, my first machine gun shoot...
View Quote

You and your club may have started something.
Well done!
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
AK2KX and Archangel: Good work! :)

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I also wrote to him.

Mr. McGrory,

I read your article entitled "Club Gushes over Uzis," and there was no mistaking your obvious anti-gun sentiment.  I must say, I find it somewhat insulting that you would use your First Amendment rights to attack my Second Amendment rights.  However, I won't tell you what you can and cannot say.  I will just show you how your words are more dangerous than my guns.

It is well known that about 35,000 people are killed each year by guns.  The anti-gun media, such as yourself, do a good job of repeating ad nauseum the atrocity of these deaths.  They do not, however, do a good job of reporting the 400,000 murders, 200,000 rapes, and nearly 2 million other violent crimes PREVENTED each year by gun owners defending themselves with a firearm (usually without even having to fire it).  Nor do they do a good job of reporting the average 25% LOWER violent crime rates in states that allow their citizens to carry a concealed firearm.  Or the nearly 100% reduction of crime in Kennesaw, Georgia after the town passed a law requiring all homeowners to keep a firearm.  Or that genocide as seen in countries like Nazi Germany, Communist China, or the Soviet Union under Stalin began with disarmament of the population.

If reporters and journalists, like yourself, continue to report not the whole truth, but only those parts of the truth that further your anti-gun agenda, the misinformed population will continue to elect and support leaders who also favor gun control.  It will become harder, then impossible, to get new guns, then existing guns will be confiscated from law-abiding citizens (though it will be impossible to track down and confiscate any illegally obtained guns owned by criminals).  Those 400,000 prevented murders will become actual murders.  Those 200,000 women who defend themselves from rapists will be raped.  Those 2 million prevented crimes will be committed.  Your slanted reporting will be responsible for 100 times more crime and death than we have now.

The men who wrote our Constitution put the Second Amendment in to insure that our right to own firearms would not be infringed, so that people would always have the ability to defend themselves, both from those who would attack their person, and from the a tyrannical government who would attack their freedom.  To take away that right is to desecrate all for which our Founding Fathers fought and died.

We can continue to be shocked that a child can get an "up-close look" at a gun, or we can teach the child how to SAFELY and RESPONIBLY handle firearms, and at the same time teach them to RESPECT others and take RESPONSIBILITY for their own actions.  Better they learn about guns from a qualified, safe instructor than from a gang on the street.

You stated that "kids are bombarded with violence. They see people shot to death every hour of every night on network television."  Well, if the media would glorify the people who defend themselves and their fellow citizens rather than kids who shoot up schools, that would be a good start towards reducing the problem.  And you would have a lot more stories to cover, too.
View Quote

I hope I was polite and informative.  It's so hard not to go off and start ranting...   [:(!]
View Quote

May I shake your hand?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]
This clown didn't even attend the shoot.  He read about it.  Journalism isn't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Heh heh, you should see the letter my _wife_ wrote this half-wit, and I don't think he was there either.  I know the press was supposed to be there, but I could only stay for the morning and didn't see any...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top