Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2003 10:36:14 AM EDT
I just got out of a workplace violence training program put on by OSHA and the Kentucky Labor Cabinet.  

According to what we were told, a person is a threat to the workplace if:

You own 2 9mm
Want to get an AK-40 (yes that is what she called it)
You discuss guns
That if you own a gun you are more likely to use it for violence
You know how to use a deer rifle
But none of this is applies to the average joe deer hunter or antique firearms collector

I'm amazed at how deep the liberal anti-gun BS has spread.  What we were basically told is anyone that wants or owns a gun is nutcase that you have to watch out for but we don't want to piss off the sportsmen so hunters aren't included.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I am a threat to my workplace.  it's the only thing that keeps me employed!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Heck, if that's all it takes to be a threat to MY workplace, the odds are that I'm a threat to YOUR workplace!

2 9mm. Pfffft.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Should've asked what EXACTLY is an AK-40, and why it's so dangerous...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Should've asked what EXACTLY is an AK-40, and why it's so dangerous...[rolleyes]
View Quote

Yeah that's exactly what I want to do, draw attention to myself by knowing the details of high powered assault weapons.  Before I even started this job everyone was going around saying I was a "gun nut" even though I had never talked to them.  I knew someone else at the company who was labled a "gun nut" so they just assumed I was.  I have been very quite about my hobby at work yet I still get people I've never talked about guns to asking me gun related questions.  BTW, the company is about 75% female with a couple vocal anti-gunners.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd ask how they got their information for the presentation and their qualifications as a presenter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe she was confusing it with WD-40.  That is a mysterious guy thing too.

(dammit, hit the mouse button)  That is like asking me about cross-stitching, or those aircraft hijacking capable knitting needles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know what an AK40 and don't care...

[thinking]

Just know that I want one  [;D]

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
so, swire, you'd get discriminated against at your work because you own guns legally?

sounds like your liberal coworkers are some hypocritical f*cks.

they probably wouldn't discriminate against a black man either - until they found out that he grew up in the ghetto... ooh, that makes him dangerous.

yeah, well, my opposable thumbs make me the most dangerous animal on the planet.  protect your eyesockets immediately, you anti-gun weirdos!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]

They should see the pictures on the top of my tool boxes at work [BD]

They are more worried that I don't have any pics up that would offend Lesbo/Fudgepackers and other assorted special peoples[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.kdla.state.ky.us/Statelib/_ArchivedBibs/SLS_GSCResources_VW.htm[/url]

[url]http://gsc.state.ky.us/toVIW.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/workplaceviolence/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to the snake pit my friend. In the Army I was stationed at a hospital where the ratio of men to women was similar to your work place. Let's just say I've had enough sensitivity training to actually cause my body to begin producing large amounts of estrogen. A transfer to an infantry unit corrected this of course. THe environment at the hospital was a backstabbing rumor infested feeling fest where hurting someone's feelings was enough to induce UCMJ action. Glad to be gone, and sorry you're there. I hope you don't get into trouble for your hobby. They'll probably never confront you about it, just stab you in the back whenever they can. Good luck, and God bless.
PS, it sounds like you are a tactfull enough person to steer clear of these problems. I on the other hand have all the tact of a junkyard dog.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
i must be sane, i only have one 9mm
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
OMG I might be a danger to my workplace,  not to mention that likely terrorist lady I work with whos husband is a dealer. They have a safe full and I have seen them and her permit OMG.  And my boss OMG he has a high powerd hunting rifle with a scope and it's black.  I can't believe I havn't seen a shooting there yet[:(!]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I work at a gun shop. I guess I'll have to just point and grunt at the guns to customers.
(They do this to me, so I guess it's only fair...)
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
thank god I am not a threat I only own a 9mm and a .45!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder if "Magnums" count extra?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Ha!
Just read guns & ammo and the big book of assault rifles on your lunch break
at the US Post Office
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
THe environment at the hospital was a backstabbing rumor infested feeling fest where hurting someone's feelings was enough to induce UCMJ action.
View Quote

You just described my work place down to the T.  I have to watch my back constantly or someone will stick a knife in it.

They'll probably never confront you about it, just stab you in the back whenever they can.
View Quote

As long as I don't offend someone with any amount of power, it will never be an issue.  But if I do and they are looking for a way to get rid of me, I'm sure that will be one of their "concerns".

The good news is this is Kentucky and I've heard a large number of women talking about the guns they own.  So it's more "acceptable" where I work.  One even sold her gun on the public employee for sale message board.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#20]
So my Python .357 mag isn't a threat to anything?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#21]
So does that mean someone with (6) 45s is ok.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#22]
A few people over heard me talk about guns and shooting at my work. Now there is a group of us that goes out to dinner and shooting every couple of months. I do get some looks when I have a Shotgun News and a I am ordering guns (C&R).

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm with you!  Plus assorted rifles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang, I have 2 9mils, guess I am threat, bet they feel safe with me on vacation and all right now......
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ha!
Just read guns & ammo and the big book of assault rifles on your lunch break
at the US Post Office
View Quote

[lolabove]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now, this is not to say that it is a perse anti gun agenda.  It really is common knowledge that in past years a number of people have gone off their rocker and shot people in the workplace.  
View Quote

The one statistic that I found interesting was that over the last 10 years, that's how old her data was, that homicides have gone down but work place homicides have actually increased.  But most of those are convience stores getting shot up, not an office building.

She actually I'm sure did not intend to be offensive.
View Quote

Her positions on guns seem to be her personal opinion as most of what she said about guns was not mentioned in the material.  From her tone of voice and presentation I got the feeling she saw no use for guns.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Me too, I safe and sound with only one 9x19 in a Sig P239 but wait, wait, that damn H&K P7M8 is a 9x19...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I think gun ownership is a requirement for employment at my office.  All of my employees own guns.  We have dear heads all over the office.  I think I am the only "gun-nut".
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You own 2 9mm
View Quote

Ooh, only one. Then again, did they say guns? I own plenty of 9mm cartridges.

View Quote

Umm... I want to get an AK-47. If an AK-40 was a real gun, I'd probably want it too. So I guess I can count this.

You discuss guns
View Quote

Check.

View Quote

Check.

Hey, looks like I'm doing pretty well here. I represent a pretty solid threat to my workplace.

[;D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I work 12-8 AM because I such a f**k**g people person. Saturday is my private gunsmithing time because I'm the only one at work. I've used WD-40 on an AK-47, so does that make it an WAK-D40? I've also made good use of the pipe threading vise for FAL barrel changes, and the sawzall, drill press, and bench grinder for modifying rail mounts. I've also been in the building managers office to explain that I'm not a threat to the other employees. I told the manager that I've been around fully automatic military issue weapons since I was 18, and I haven't shot anyone yet. He told me to make sure I clean up after myself and don't get caught on any security cameras. I love my job...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think gun ownership is a requirement for employment at my office.  All of my employees own guns.  We have dear heads all over the office.  I think I am the only "gun-nut".
View Quote

Got any openings? [;)]
What kind of work do you do then, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I got two 9mms  but no AK40 so I'm good to go!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I must be a threat to my workplace,too. My husband had the same bs spouted at him where he works. He
works for a university, so figure the odds on all the anti's. I do talk about guns with some people but I am very careful around work who I talk to. Mostly it's ex-military,but I work in a town where they were protesting the war big time too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm definitely a threat, but I see that as a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#36]
What if all you have is a .38 and a 10/22?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#37]
On the first point, I guess you guys with .40s and .357s are OK.

Point 2: I don't have any idea what an AK-40 is, so I guess I'm OK with the AR-15 at home.

Point 3: Guilty.  BTW, even anti-gunners discuss guns, so I guess this confirms that they are indeed dangerous!

Point 4: Yes, having one means I'm more likely to use one than if I don't have one (How's that for razor-sharp logic?).  I am inclined to do violence on criminals who threaten my family or myself.

Point 5: Do they have deer running around in the workplace?  Are people hunting among the cubicles, waiting for some "prairie dogging"?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Damn...I wonder how they'd react if they knew what was in my Dillon Executive CCW bag?  [peep]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#39]
This is BULL! I only own one 9mm. but I have 3 .45's! Oh wait I own a whole gun shop (half of it anyway) so I guess I'm a threat too :)

Hey I dont have any of them there AK40's does an M1A count for something?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Got any openings? [;)]
What kind of work do you do then, if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote

I meant deer heads.  We're a Surveying and Engineering company.  We're just countryboys.  Doesn't everybody own a few guns?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#41]
damn... what if you own 3+ 9mms? can they have you thrown in the slammer?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't have 2 9mm's I have 3 , so I am no threat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You own 2 9mm
You discuss guns
[red]That if you own a gun you are more likely to use it for violence[/red]
But none of this is applies to the average joe deer hunter or antique firearms collector
View Quote

Total BS.

They must have gotten their false information off of the Handgun Control Inc site.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#44]
THe environment at the hospital was a backstabbing rumor infested feeling fest where hurting someone's feelings was enough to induce UCMJ action.
View Quote

Hmmm, sounds like the place I was stationed. That's what ruined the military for me. 4 years at a MEDDAC.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just got out of a workplace violence training program put on by OSHA and the Kentucky Labor Cabinet.  

You own 2 9mm
You discuss guns

I'm amazed at how deep the liberal anti-gun BS has spread.  What we were basically told is anyone that wants or owns a gun is nutcase that you have to watch out for but we don't want to piss off the sportsmen so hunters aren't included.
View Quote

I cant believe nobody's given this guy the PROPER proceedure for this situation.

Once she got to the third point (discussing guns), you should have jumped up, pulled out your 9mm, and instructed her to drop to her face and place her under citizens arrest.

SHE was a threat to your workplace, for discussing guns.

Wonder how well that would have gone over.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You own 2 9mm
You discuss guns

View Quote

I cant believe nobody's given this guy the PROPER proceedure for this situation.

Once she got to the third point (discussing guns), you should have jumped up, pulled out your 9mm, and instructed her to drop to her face and place her under citizens arrest.

SHE was a threat to your workplace, for discussing guns.

Wonder how well that would have gone over.
View Quote

Yeah! Good point. And being that you only pulled out 1 9mm, you are not a threat...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#47]
What if you don't have a working 9mm, but two 40S&W's?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#48]
OSHA - "Protecting stupid people for over 25 years"

Hell, I hang my target results at work, and bring in pics of my newest toys. I used to feel that maybe I shouldnt talk about my hobby, but finally said screw it. I'm proud to be a shooter and collector, and refuse to sit in the 'dark corner'. I get a couple of folks who dont understand, but they're better off watching the home and garden channel anyways.

Seems after I started talking about it, there were a couple other 'closet' collectors. Found out, the father of my coworkers actually builds black powder rifles and pistols - Everything from forging barrels, locks, etc as well as hand cut stocks. And for about a year now, I introduced another fella to collecting C&Rs as well.

They don't see a gangbanger or 'terrorist' - but instead see an average everyday fella, married with a child who has a rather 'unique' collection of firearms. Hmmmm, I wonder if I'll ever hear this drivel presented by OSHA. God help the verbal ass whoopin' she'll receive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Guess that makes me a freakin' terrorist, right???  Whatever... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#50]
My supervisor accompanied me to our CCW class last year.  Afterward he left his target that he used during qual behind.  I snatched it up and took it home.  

The next day when he came to work it was hanging outside his cubicle with, [b]"So, you have a problem with my decisions?  Step inside and we'll discuss it"[/b], written in the corner.  Everybody had a laugh and it hung there for at least a month.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top