Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 10:52:16 AM EDT
Tried to buy an antique shotgun from a guy on one of the big auction sites. Dealer had a statement in the ad that said the gun was made before 1892 but then said that it had to be shipped to an FFL dealer. Federal law says that if it's made before 1898 then it is an antique, and is not subject to the Gun Control Act of 1968, and can be sold across a state line with no restrictions.

I tried to explain to the guy that it could be sent directly to the buyer (hopefully me), but he said that because it fires modern ammunition that is NOT an antique, and the transaction has to go through an FFL dealer.

That is totally wrong, and the dealer should know better. It's amazing that someone who makes his living selling old guns doesn't know what's an antique and what's not.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't assume anything anymore.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Some of them in maryland like to play that game. I think the state police like to encourage it. But thanks to the recent law changes the shops are dropping like flies so it won't be a concern much longer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an FFL state the ATF told him that if a C&R eligible firearm fired a modern cartridge then it was not C&R eligible. The auction FFL probably got similar info about antiques from the ATF. It's probably also in his bound book so he doesn't want the headache of explaining a direct interstate ship to a nonFFL during his next audit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
A class 2 here, builds anything you want.

So, I asked for a lower, registered and engraved as an AOW.

He said he could, but I would have to pay $80 excise tax.
Just like a complete firearm in addition to the lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top