Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 8:30:22 PM EDT
Some people in our nation really do not get it. This includes Congress and all of the Illegals.

To start this off, you have to ask yourself why do illegals come to this country? For the obvious reason of course, money! The basic premise on why they get jobs while being illegal is because companies are willing to pay illegals under the table wages that are less than minimum wage(while they cant do this with documented workers). The two people to benefit from this are the illegals and the companies with higher profit margins due to reduced labor prices.

The main argument you probably hear all the time is "they do the jobs most Americans wont do."
Am I right or have you not left your cave in the last 3 months? Ok, well that statement is correct...to a point. The illegals do the jobs most American's wont do at that paying wage.

Now let me inform you all of a little thing called the supply and demand of labor. The idea behind it is simple. The more money you offer for a job(no matter what that job may be) the more workers you will have that will want it. Conversely the less you offer to pay for a job, the less workers will want it.

So lets take a look at this chart:

This is a supply and demand of labor chart, the line rising to the right is the supply of labor(how many workers want to work) and the line decreasing to the right is the demand for labor(what the companies are willing to pay).

As you can see,  at a wage rate of $6 on the vertical axis there are about 500 people who want to work(where teal line intersects red line) and only about 100 people that the company can pay(teal line intersects blue line).  That leaves 400 workers unemployed. Obviously this is not the case right now.

So if the company says we need 4000 heads of lettuce picked a week and they need 200 workers instead of the original 100 in the previous scenario, they pay $3 and get 200 workers and get the amount of lettuce picked while maximizing profits.

But as you can see by the chart if the companies raised there wage rate they would have enough workers to work these same jobs by Americans.

NOW  the unintended consequence of giving illegals citizenship.

Once the illegals have citizen ship they will all be unemployed.

The companies have not changed just becaus the illegals have citizenship and have paid under the table-lower than minimum wage and will keep paying that. You dont think the companies will keep all the same illegals who just got citizenship and start paying minimum wage do you?

So in other words after they gain citizenship they will start taking jobs that Americans want to do because now they will be on the books and no longer eligible for the jobs "Americans wont do."

So with all of this I would expect unemployment to skyrocket and inflation to soar and it will usher this nation into even more financial trouble.

~dsg2003gt
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]

I am 5 miles from the border. Most of the illegals here are employed 'legally", by the use of forged documents.  Employers are not allowed to question the validity of even poorly done forgeries, not that they would in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I have read they are paying the illegals below the min wage rate that congress has set since they are illegal they can get away with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a lot of "citizens" on welfare and governemnt assistance.
Make them pick the letuce.

Problem solved. 3 birds killed with 1 stone.
No need for illegals
People to pick the crops
Fewer leechs to the tax payer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
my solution to employing illegals would be to make companies have stricter documentation of employees, with an agency that watchs over the employment practices of companies.  If found to be employing illegals there would be large penalties based on the company's total revenue per year that is filed with the IRS. I would say profit, but profit can be manipulated using employment wage figures.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top