[#1]
cliff notes?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

cliff notes?
View Quote
Basically if you are a company and someone is using footage or music etc that you own you can file a copyright claim against them for lost revenue (Seems like a lot of review videos etc are getting this)

It was done because pirates are uploading full movies and music. In short since SOPA failed they are trying this tactic but there have been a ton of false claims.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
bahh nvmnd

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
He needs to use the dispute system.

I imagine alot of it is the copyright holder just having a blanket policy of "If youtube tells us someone is using our shit, go ahead and flag it."

Guys like him making a living from youtube ad revenue should probably get as much explicit permission to use every last piece of IP in their videos before uploading them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, that sucks!

If it belongs to the game company, then tough shit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dang, that sucks!

View Quote

If his claims are correct, that they are filing claims based on brief clips used in a review, then he is most likely protected by fair use.

So no, not "tough shit".
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Blame Metallica.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If I was a musician I wouldn't be happy about my songs being available to everyone for free with me getting nothing.  It takes years to become proficient on an instrument and even then only a small percentage of people have the creativity to write music that large numbers of people will want to listen to.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dang, that sucks!

View Quote

The game companies want them (youtube reviewers) to use the footage though, as they have become a large part of their marketing strategy (I just bought a game based off one of his reviews, actually).  The issue is Youtube's new IP detection system is flagging stuff based off of fair use material.  For example, a video getting flagged for a song that is part of the game play.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If his claims are correct, that they are filing claims based on brief clips used in a review, then he is most likely protected by fair use.

So no, not "tough shit".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, that sucks!

So no, not "tough shit".

Youtube can do what they want.  Don't like it?  Don't use Youtube.  That is what it really comes down to.  Youtube does not owe them anything.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I was a musician I wouldn't be happy about my songs being available to everyone for free with me getting nothing.  It takes years to become proficient on an instrument and even then only a small percentage of people have the creativity to write music that large numbers of people will want to listen to.
View Quote

Artists should also see Youtube as an opportunity to expose their product to new buyers,
There are plenty of music threads here where I find new stuff I like and I wind up buying the song or album.
That probably wouldn't have happened without Youtube existing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:43:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Youtube can do what they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, that sucks!

So no, not "tough shit".

Youtube can do what they want.

Smokey, this isn't 'Nam, there are rules.

Don't like it?  Don't use Youtube.  That is what it really comes down to.  Youtube does not owe them anything.

If they are withholding funds which otherwise would be paid to him based on prior agreements between the two parties, using a faulty legal basis to withhold said funds, then the issue becomes far more complicated than you imply.

Further, if nothing else, these actions will negatively impact the YouTube user base. YouTube isn't owed our participation. If GoogleTube continues to be dicks (in more ways than this... I recently stopped using YouTube for unrelated google-asshat reasons), then they will create room for a competitor, just by being assholes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So no, not "tough shit".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, that sucks!

So no, not "tough shit".

Good luck fighting a million / billion dollar company, like Sony!  

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Basically if you are a company and someone is using footage or music etc that you own you can file a copyright claim against them for lost revenue (Seems like a lot of review videos etc are getting this)  

It was done because pirates are uploading full movies and music. In short since SOPA failed they are trying this tactic but there have been a ton of false claims.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cliff notes?

I'm pretty sure sopa passed under a different name, also how is fair use not applicable?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a short video on youtube demonstrating a small tube amp, it was playing the solo from 'No More Tears'

It got flagged after being online for a year or so.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#16]
So how long until another youtube contender breaks through?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So how long until another youtube contender breaks through?
View Quote

I will bet the end of 2014.
I have heard some people are already either planning to move to Dailymotion or have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top