User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:10:20 AM EDT
I hope it don't hurt.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me know how it goes. I'm seriously considering having some form of corrective surgery done.
Contacts & airpacks just are too iffy for my liking......
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you do, don't look at the sharks with the freaking lasers on their heads!

(also, don't sneeze)

Good luck and if shit goes south - Piccolo may have a seeing eye cat to sell you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
good luck

We need more cowbell damnit!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
TOTALLY PAINLESS!

It's a little un-nerving and weird but it doesnt hurt!

You'll be in and out of the chair in 10 minutes.. I was.

When they flip your cornea over it'll be a little disconcerning but he'll put it back.

My vision was blurry after the operation but in a few days I was 20/16 and 20/14

Beat that you 20/20 folks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
They usually give you a Valium when you get there...if you really wanna have fun, ask for another (tell 'em you're really scared, that's what I did)  It doesn't hurt.  Of course, after two Valiums, you could have shoved a live snake up my ass and I wouldn't have said anything more than, "That feels kinda FUNNY."

I'm 20/15 now, 4 years post-op.  FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER.  that means, set your alarm to get you up every 4 hours and put the drops in if that's what they tell you to do.  Wear the damn shields when you sleep, and the less you open your eyes in the first 12 hours, the better.  I had ML get me a couple of books on tape, and I just sat in my chair and relaxed.  I didn't open my eyes more than 2-3 seconds at a time the first day, and that just to keep from pissing on the wall.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I had Lasik done 6 years ago, and it is the best thing that ever happened to me.  There is no pain involved and you can see very quickly.  You eyes will be "scratchy" for a few days, but that's it.  Are you getting custom Lasik?  Custom did not exist when I got mine done.  I am actually looking at getting an enhancement to mine using custom Lasik.  My vision has changed a little, and now I need glasses to drive at night.  I have a bit of "halos" around light sources at night.  This is partly due to my vision having changed a bit, and the glasses help.  My doc tells me that custom Lasik has the potential to eliminate the halos altogether.  I have an appointment with him this week to evaluate if I should do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't.  When I went in for it, they gave me a sedative like every other patient. Then they numbed my eyes with drops.  It was over in a matter of minutes and my vision was instantly improved.  

There, there.  It'll be over before you know it and if you're good you can have a big ice cream cone.  Now won't that be nice?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:38:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My boss had it last year. Was back at work the next day. He said it didn't hurt a bit. He threw his contacts away.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck!

I'm seriously considering having this done as well. Problem is I don't have anyone nearby to cart me around, and I'm not sure I want to sit in an apartment for a weekend by myself, blind as a bat for most of it, waiting for my eyes to heal enough to head back to work.

Guys who've had this done...how long is the recoup time? How long do you need to play Marco Polo before you can take the blinders off and look around?

Were you able to go back to work/school/whatever after a weekend? (Assuming you got it done on a Friday..)

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Good luck!

I'm seriously considering having this done as well. Problem is I don't have anyone nearby to cart me around, and I'm not sure I want to sit in an apartment for a weekend by myself, blind as a bat for most of it, waiting for my eyes to heal enough to head back to work.

Guys who've had this done...how long is the recoup time? How long do you need to play Marco Polo before you can take the blinders off and look around?

Were you able to go back to work/school/whatever after a weekend? (Assuming you got it done on a Friday..)

They taped transparent plastic covers over my eyes for the first 24 hours or so (its been 6 years, I cant quite remember how long I wore them for), so that I would not be able to rub them, as they are very susceptible to getting fucked up in that first day. I could see within an hour or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They taped transparent plastic covers over my eyes for the first 24 hours or so (its been 6 years, I cant quite remember how long I wore them for), so that I would not be able to rub them, as they are very susceptible to getting fucked up in that first day. I could see within an hour or so.

Hm, so basically, 48 hours after the operation, you were good as new? Is there any short-term stuff (don't read, don't go on the PC, don't watch TV, don't juggle with chainsaws) that they tell you not to do?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope it don't hurt.  

You'll be OK, you big baby.

Well come hold my hand and kiss me and reassure me some more!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

NOT FUNNY
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#17]
so what if the laser malfunctions, and burns 2 big holes in yer eyes
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc12.jpg

NOT FUNNY

just screwing with ya.  don't worry it'll be a breeze.  my father had lasik several years ago and is very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hm, so basically, 48 hours after the operation, you were good as new? Is there any short-term stuff (don't read, don't go on the PC, don't watch TV, don't juggle with chainsaws) that they tell you not to do?

No limitations that I remember.  I my surgery was in the evening and I was active then next morning.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#20]
don't go, it hurts really really bad, and when they pull out your eye....geeeze!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No limitations that I remember.  I my surgery was in the evening and I was active then next morning.

Wow, neat!

Thanks for the info...guess I should make an appointment with the eyedoc around here..
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#23]
best of luck and keep us posted
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I had mine done 5+ years ago.
No pain. Blurry vision till the next morning.
No rough stuff for a few weeks like Motocross, swimming, demolision derby, etc.

One recommendation - get yourself a good pair of sun glasses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#25]

so what if the laser malfunctions, and burns 2 big holes in yer eyes

You get a free white cane.  What more could you ask.  They'll have plenty of time to show you out because your screams will empty the waiting room.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just don't blink or that damn laser will cut your eye lid to sheads. It happened to a friend of a friend. He was in the hosipital for three weeks. They had to cut part of his ass to use skin for reconstructive surgery. Must have hurt like hell.

Don't worry everything will be find.

And now he has really furry eyelids!  

j/k
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just don't blink or that damn laser will cut your eye lid to sheads. It happened to a friend of a friend. He was in the hosipital for three weeks. They had to cut part of his ass to use skin for reconstructive surgery. Must have hurt like hell.

j/k

They taped mine open, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had mine done 5+ years ago.
No pain. Blurry vision till the next morning.
No rough stuff for a few weeks like Motocross, swimming, demolision derby, etc.

One recommendation - get yourself a good pair of sun glasses.

+1 on good sunglasses.  I prefer a polarized lens of some sort.  Right now I am wearing Maui Jims.  I have a glass lensed pair and a polycarbonate pair.  These Maui Jims are the finest sunglasses I have owned.  Better than Revo or Ray Ban.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Double up on the valium(if you need to), dont watch the guy before you, dont go to the light. My wife had it done 5 years ago and her vision is awesome. You will be much happier pretty soon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh man it hurt like hell when they stuck all those needles in my eyes.

Mwuahahahaha...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Just  tell the doctor you only want one eye done today, in case he fucks up, and go in tommorow for the next if everything goes fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I had it done last thursday (8/19).

I can tell you it is the greatest thing ever.

No Pain, hell my eyes didn't even itch!

20 hours later at my follow up appointment I had 20/20 vision...  I've worn glasses since I was 3!

I'm telling you, no problemmo, anxiety is the worst thing you'll have.

Good Luck...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I have had it done twice this year so it won't be a problem.

Do not rub your eyes!
Sleep plenty this evening.
Stay off the computer for extended periods this evening...We will be here tomorrow for an update!
One of the pretty assistants will hold your hand!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Your burning eyeball will smell just like burnt hair.

Still the best $2000 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Your burning eyeball will smell just like burnt hair.

Still the best $2000 I ever spent.

Huh?  Its a "cold" laser.  There is no burning smell.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Fixing to leave but as usual I appreciate the great comments that have calmed me down and make me feel so much better about myself.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm 4 years into mine. Zero problems.

My Doc had two realllllllllly hot nurse chickie helpers. They stood to the sides of me, one hand on shoulder/neck area other hand on my wrists to "hold and reassure" me and make sure I didn't move. Both sets of boobs were on my upper arms.

At that point my apprehension about having my eyes cut open changed to wondering if they noticed the growing mahogany...!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Boobs....don't forget to ask for boobs.  Boobs make everything better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Luke Skywalker (badly) performing LASIC surgery on Family Guy.  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/k

They taped mine open, IIRC.

They taped your ass open?? Did it improve your vision? Can you get a decent butt to stock weld when you shoot?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'm 4 years into mine. Zero problems.

My Doc had two realllllllllly hot nurse chickie helpers. They stood to the sides of me, one hand on shoulder/neck area other hand on my wrists to "hold and reassure" me and make sure I didn't move. Both sets of boobs were on my upper arms.

At that point my apprehension about having my eyes cut open changed to wondering if they noticed the growing mahogany...!

Where was this, exactly?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
They usually give you a Valium when you get there...if you really wanna have fun, ask for another (tell 'em you're really scared, that's what I did)  It doesn't hurt.  Of course, after two Valiums, you could have shoved a live snake up my ass and I wouldn't have said anything more than, "That feels kinda FUNNY."

I'm 20/15 now, 4 years post-op.  FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER.  that means, set your alarm to get you up every 4 hours and put the drops in if that's what they tell you to do.  Wear the damn shields when you sleep, and the less you open your eyes in the first 12 hours, the better.  I had ML get me a couple of books on tape, and I just sat in my chair and relaxed.  I didn't open my eyes more than 2-3 seconds at a time the first day, and that just to keep from pissing on the wall.

I can always count on your posts to make me laugh my ass off, QS
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Just  tell the doctor you only want one eye done today, in case he fucks up, and go in tommorow for the next if everything goes fine.

All the better to see coming catastrophies?

How's the job hunt going?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#49]
You'll be fine........ just don't blink
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Geez... always remember... good eyesight is important.

- BUCC_Guy
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top