Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
Thanks for keeping my 'puter healty for a record amount of time.

I just upgraded to Trend Micro's 2006 suite and there are allot of notifications of Svchost.exe trying to get out.

As a part of the registry, I question what is going on in there.

Bad JuJu?  How to I figure out WHAT is trying to get out?   What in this list is legit, can legit apps be coorupted?  I try not to be a moron in the workings but I do lack.

I thank any kind, smart, souls who offer free PC medic knowledge.

-Boom
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks for keeping my 'puter healty for a record amount of time.

I just upgraded to Trend Micro's 2006 suite and there are allot of notifications of Svchost.exe trying to get out.

As a part of the registry, I question what is going on in there.

Bad JuJu?  How to I figure out WHAT is trying to get out?   What in this list is legit, can legit apps be coorupted?  I try not to be a moron in the workings but I do lack.

I thank any kind, smart, souls who offer free PC medic knowledge.

-Boom

svchost is the generic program in windows that runs and manages services from DLLs.

There is a worm that uses svchost.exe also(welchia/ms blaster), but the program is a part of windows, so it is nothing to be worried about by itself, just if you have the virus.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
SubMOA,

I read through that and followed the directions. Not sure on what apps are actually legit or if a legit app became coorupted.

Quoted:

svchost is the generic program in windows that runs and manages services from DLLs.

There is a worm that uses svchost.exe also(welchia/ms blaster), but the program is a part of windows, so it is nothing to be worried about by itself, just if you have the virus.

iamblades,

I let the subscription lax a month before renewing, would a embedded worm be undetectable if "allowed in" or would the "latest n greatest" dig it out? DLLs should be tied to a app, how do I find out what app is causing svchost.exe to want out?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top