Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2003 8:03:24 PM EDT
I gave up on computers in the late 90's. I guess it came more of a tool and less than a hobby to understand all the quirks.

Hopefully one of you sly dogs can help me out b4 I wipe this baby clean and start over.

Background: I have a new XP machine that was connected to the net & accumulated a few trogans. They became to the point where the system was bogged down and slow while lauching hidden Internet Exployer windows and doing re-directs.

I bought the Norton Internet Security software and it is not any help. I paid $70 for it to tell me what I already knew. It can't delete, fix, or quarentine the svchost.exe file or another backdoor trogan that is mucking up the system. The full system scan found nothing yet Norton has constant pop-ups on viruses it can't fix.
The Norton firewall has had some success in blocking some undesired communique for atleast now I can use the net.
BTW: Ending the noted virus applications causes the XP system to re-boot under some remote call termination. I hoped ending them would allow Norton to take care of it. Bad Juju.

Oh what do I do?

edited cause the spelling is bad. I'll leave the poor grammer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
aahh where to start...

First get spybot and let that clean the system [url]http://www.safer-networking.org[/url]

You could also try  [url]http://housecall.trendmicro.com[/url] to remove any viri you might have.

If that doesn't do it wipe the system and save yourself the headache.

Do you have a high speed internet connection? If you do, ditch the Norton shit (Just load the Anti-virus portion) and the a hardware firewall to go in-between your modem and computer.

Now start using Mozilla or the google toolbar in IE to block popups.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
ok where to begin??

Alright your svchost problem is that blaster worm that went around the net and was a pain to get rid of. Have you ran windows update yet? If it keep restarting when you try to run windows update you will have to get a cd with the blaster fix on it from someone else's comp.
As for norton if you updated it and it still cant delete or quarantine the virus then i would take it back and demand your money back.

hopefully this will help
derek
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Here's the fix for Blaster:
[URL]http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html[/URL]

I'm suprised I don't have this one memorized, I have only taken a couple hundred calls on it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn this site is amazing.
Im running the winderz update now.

I have a new cable modem and I'm not sure what it offers for a firewall. Since I interface with the basic Billy G Office Internet Explorer, I expect there is none.

Call me a moron but the Windows update has been popping up and I have ignored it for fear it was another backdoor attempt from some ill file to let others in.

I was under the impression that the Norton software was the shit so to speak. Is is any good at pre-preventative maintainance? It sucks for post problem clean up.

I'll launch Janus's anti blaster link.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Hardware firewalls/routers are made by a bunch of companies. I own one made by D-Link but the standard these days is Linksys.
Like I said above it goes in between your modem and computer, It will also let you share the connection with multiple systems.
They usually start at $20 for a no frills version and get pricier if you want wireless or other features.

I've seen the Norton Internet crap cause more trouble then it's worth. It's mostly a resource hog.

As for prevention, run spybot once a month, keep your antivirus software up to date, and use one of the popup blocking software I mentioned above. I use plain Mozilla, Firebird is pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Arg. I see myself getting pissed at returning open software tomorrow for a refund. Is it worth keeping for prevention?

I really appreciate the help & advice.

I had StopZilla freeware that worked well. I also has some AVG free ware anti-virus that worked better at stopping the integrated trogans.

Zilla for a browser it will be.

The Billy G update is about half loaded. With your help, this POS should be running again. THANKS!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I would acutally run the restore disc that your system might have comewith.  Then load your internet security software.

Start from a clean slate.

But you lose all your saved stuff and any extra loaded programs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Arg. I see myself getting pissed at returning open software tomorrow for a refund. Is it worth keeping for prevention?
View Quote

Software based firewalls are a decent solution for dial-up connections. But on highspeed connections the hardware based firewall is better. Here are the major advantages:
1. The hardware firewall is cheaper ($50 for a Linksys BEFSR41)
2. The hardware firewall doesn't require yearly updates and will last the life of your cable connection or longer.
3. It will let you share the connection with multiple systems.
4. Once you set it up your done, no need to worry about it locking up your system, or getting hosed and having to reload it.

So, I guess it's my opinion that you should return the software and look at a hardware based solution.

The best steps to protect yourself from viri, adware, spyware, trojans, hackers, and other nasties in order are:

1. An up to date Antivirus software (I use Norton AV and set it to  update once a week)
2. Popup Blockers (I use Mozilla's built in features and tabbed browsing kicks ass)
3. An Adware/spyware cleaner (Spybot kept up to date and run monthly)
4. A Firewall/Router

Hope that wasn't too harsh, I end up helping people with similar problems all day every day and have formed some rather strong opinions. Most don't listen the first time around and end up calling back a few months later with the same problem except the 2nd time around it costs 'em $.
[):)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Follow the advice that has been given and your problem should go away.

If not, follow the restore disc/reinstall and start from a clean slate advice.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]
If you bought Norton Internet Security 2004 then it is one of your problems.
Norton screwed it up (it is supposed to 'learn') so now if you want any type of advanced firewall protection it keeps blocking shit until you no longer have internet access no matter how many times you manualy set up the access.

Your best bet is to slick the hard drive, get the Linksys BEFSX41, install only Norton anti virus, get the Google popup blocker, AdAware, Spy Sweeper or Spybot and use them.

That's the advice I took from these guys and I am very satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
KA3B--good advice.  I always wipe any system that gets infected.  Well, at work anyway.  I have never been infected with a virus on my home machine.

Boom--loading up Norton AntiVirus is a great start.  It's the first thing I tell new computer owners to buy.  You may also want to look into SystemWorks 04, which includes the NAV software as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Amazon has the D-Link DI-514 Wireless 802.11b Cable/DSL Router for $20 after $20 rebate. Free shipping.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000088NO8/ref%3Dnosim/slickdeals/104-3423310-2155948[/url]

Get a harware firewall (like the one above), Norton anti-virus, spybot and adaware. Run the windows update when prompted, spybot and awaware (weekly).

Edited to add: I have had good luck wiht d-link and netgear products. I have had nothing but trouble with linksys.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The Blaster fix did'nt help.

Funny enough, Norton now claims it is corrupt and needs to be re-installed but it won't uninstall.

I'm gonna wipe it and install Winderz 2000. What is the best was to wipe it? Last time I did that was in the days of Windows 3.1 which ran over DOS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
back up whatever you want to carry over,

then just boot to the windows 2000 CD,  then delete the partition and start over.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
First for the spyware/trojans/adware:

Ad-Aware  [url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/[/url]

AND

Spybot Search & Destroy (as mentioned) [url]http://www.safer-networking.org/[/url]

And as Steyr-Aug advised, a browser change is in order. IE is simply shit for security.

Opera  [url]http://www.opera.com/[/url]

Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird  [url]http://www.mozilla.org/[/url]

These options are if you stay with Windows. The ultimate option to avoid 99.9 percent of these headaches would be a switch to Linux.

Almost forgot-trash the Norton's it ain't worth a damn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top