Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/28/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 1:18:02 PM EDT by DDiggler]
OK, I'm embarrased to admit that even though I make my living using computers, I've never built one before. I know that I can get a better deal and exactly what I want, but I'm not sure on how to put it all together.

Current system: Dell 933Mhz, 512MB RAM. WinXP Pro.

My uses:
Programming. Use Visual Studio .NET 2003 and 2005, SQL Server and MySQL. Slow startup and varies depending on whatever else is running.
Graphic editing. Use Fireworks 4 or MX. Mostly for editing and cropping digital cam pics. SLOW.
Video. My current system's CPU peaks while watching video. SLOW.
Webcamming. My inlaws like to videoconference with us to see their grandkids, but running the webcam server takes up almost all of the CPU cycles. SLOW.
Server. I'm running a secured Apache server on it so that I can share properly transposed songs with the other guys in my band.
Surfing.
Word Processing.
MP3/Karaoke playing during parties.
Gaming. Don't do it myself, but occassionally my kid would like to put on a few games. I don't want to pay for a gaming system and can live without it.
Dual Monitors. I can't live without them.

Cost is of great importance here. I like utility and don't like to pay more than I need to in order to get acceptable performance.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as components go?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:44:38 AM EDT
Need to know your budget..... Main things you will need to look at for what you do is CPU and RAM. Those 2 go all out. Dual core would kick ass for you, and go 2 gigs of RAM. Vid card, you dont need a $300 card, hell you can find one under $100 since you dont care about games. You like your current monitors? If so, use them and that will save alot. '

IM me if you want and ill help ya out. But will definantly need a budget to work with.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:54:26 AM EDT
I'm hoping for $500 or so?
Top Top