Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:08:14 AM EST
I was grocery shopping. I just moved to Tyler from Dallas and needed some stuff.

As I was going down one aisle, there was this veiled Islamic woman with two kids in the huge stroller/basket combo. The kids were acting up and Momma was reading them the riot act in Arabic.

As I walked about 10 feet past her, looked at this white chick who was watching the action, and in a fake Arab accent softly said...

"Don't make me strap a bomb to you."

This lady, who I had never seen before cracked up, had to cover her mouth with her hand and was still laughing five minutes later.

I know, this is pointless. But it sure was fun at the time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:13:42 AM EST
FYI it is pronounced "Toller"

dont ask me how i know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:14:57 AM EST
They blow up so fast dont they?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:16:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 6:17:23 AM EST by arowneragain]
(all of it!)

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:18:39 AM EST
so did you get the chick's number?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:22:33 AM EST
"Welcome to the USA. Learn and use our language or get out."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:35:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 6:36:48 AM EST by Paul]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:37:30 AM EST
Oh, that's so wrong!

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:50:59 AM EST
Seriously, should have got the chicks number!

<­BR>

(Pooper...Pics.....)
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:52:08 AM EST
That is too damn funny. And so was "they blow up so fast, what a priceless moment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:58:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 7:07:53 AM EST by badeffect10]

Originally Posted By Paul:

Originally Posted By badeffect10:

I'm glad you're living here.

I lived in Japan for almost five years and couldn't speak but ten or twenty words and could only read a handful - Men's Room and a few train stops. Hello, good-bye, excuse me, where is, how much, and how to count to ten.

While living in The Phillipines I did manage to pick up about 200 words basically enough to get around a bit. I knew all the body parts name, could count as high as I wanted to, knew the basic manners words, and could hold a tiny conversation. It helps that The Philippines citizens can mostly speak English.

Living in Thailand I have managed to learn possibly 300 words, in Korea only how to say thank you, same in Chinese. The tonal languages are difficult as pronoucing the same word in different inflections means different things - sort of like our two, to, and too.

In Australia I fit right in and know my fair dinkum from my shelia and Bob's your uncle. Learned how to play cricket, lawn bowls, and footie. Couldn't really enjoy tea with them as their eat lots of English food - while they were eating the cow's organs I was asking for the meat.

I've got the wrong side of my brain wired up as language has always kicked my ass. From what I've been told english is one of the hardest langages to learn as we have no sets of rules of our own. We adopted them from the Queen's English, French, German and Spanish which makes for a whacky set of rules indeed.

An American woman would have just let her kids go crazy in the store while she did her shopping while talking on the cell phone completely ignoring what her brood was doing.

That would probably be the case. I can understand if you just got here not being able to speak the language, however, too many lawsuites have been filed due to language barrier incidents. My grandfather owns his own business and has had to spend thousands of dollars to conform to laws reguarding language issues.(ie signs in english and spanish, bi language govt forms, training given in spanish not english). I also belive that in Kali every govt form that is printed in english must also be printed in spanish. I dont mind them coming over here but don't spend my tax money on stupid stuff because some refuse to learn our language and then want to sue if we dont adjust to their needs. I'm sure in Japan it was "to bad, hate it for you" if you didnt know the language.

Edit: I'm not trying to stop on you Paul, just telling it from my point of view.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:58:32 AM EST
IBTL. It's in the CoC that you can't say or imply anything bad about Islam.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:09:28 AM EST
i wish i'd have thought of that
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:16:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By POWER03:

Thanks, we were not aware there was a CoC.

It sounded like 2 different random occourences to me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:24:48 AM EST

An American woman would have just let her kids go crazy in the store while she did her shopping while talking on the cell phone completely ignoring what her brood was doing.

I am American and my kids (4) have never been allowed to act up in public. And I HATE cell phones.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:31:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By captainpooby:

Reason #5932 why I can't read Arfcom posts in a crowded coffee house.

Not only did I spray coffee, 30 people watch me do it.

Yes, I am a complete dork and yes I do spray when I laugh.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:58:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 7:59:03 AM EST by bull_8]

Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

Reason #5932 why I can't read Arfcom posts in a crowded coffee house.

Not only did I spray coffee, 30 people watch me do it.

Yes, I am a complete dork and yes I do spray when I laugh.

- BG

That is just way too much information that we really didn't need to know!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:02:44 AM EST
Another priceless Arfcom moment. I'll save that one for a most appropriate time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:03:08 AM EST

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:05:51 AM EST
That was so wrong and xenophobic and shameless!

But it was also funny as hell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:11:25 AM EST
At least she was correcting her children, I've seen white bitches who pay no mind to theirs even tho they be destroying the store, or running up/down screaming and throwing a fit for some toy.

But you think it's okay to demean this lady based on her looks and her language for doing something most white women don't do any more, that's really sad, ya racist pig!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:16:40 AM EST

LOL
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:24:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 8:26:18 AM EST by colinjay]

Originally Posted By Ogre_4070:

I am American and my kids (4) have never been allowed to act up in public. And I HATE cell phones.

You ain't from Tollah either.

Go down to the Walmart, heck go down to the SUPER Walmart and report back on what you see there. I have seen parents backhanding their filthy kids, kids running loose in the sotre ripping down displays, you name it.

True story:
When I first moved here I went to Walmart to get some photos developed. I didn't know where to find the photo dept. so I inquired at the managers desk to the two ladies who stood there, "Could you tell me where to find the photofinishing department?"

They stood dumbfounded and then busted out laughing. I got red in the face as I wasn't entirely sure what the fuss was about. One of them replied, "You mean picchers?" I feebly nodded and sulked avay in shame having been embarrased for my proper use of the English language.

Of course, as fate would have it, Wally World had not punk'd me hard enough... As I walked through the checkout line I thought ot myself that I should ask for a copy of this weeks circular just to see if there were any special deals going on. As I approached the teenage checkout gal, I asked politely, "Do you happen to have a copy of this weeks circular?"

Again, the same smirk and blank stare as if I was speaking a foreign language. "A wha?" Was her noble response to my question.

As I searched for a quick synonym for circular (ad, leaflet, insert, etc. remained far from my lips) I noticed that there was one right beside her register and swiftly picked it up saying "One of these".

"Oh, you mean that? It's called a what? I just call it the thing in the newspaper" Was her chirpy reply.

Gotta love this place. You can spend an afternoon at WalMart and still not see a full set of teeth. Un-farging-believable.

They should charge admission for watching the inbreds, retards and geriatrics attempt to use the self-checkout lanes. HA!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:44:39 AM EST

I lived in Japan for almost five years and couldn't speak but ten or twenty words and could only read a handful - Men's Room and a few train stops. Hello, good-bye, excuse me, where is, how much, and how to count to ten.

While living in The Phillipines I did manage to pick up about 200 words basically enough to get around a bit. I knew all the body parts name, could count as high as I wanted to, knew the basic manners words, and could hold a tiny conversation. It helps that The Philippines citizens can mostly speak English.

Living in Thailand I have managed to learn possibly 300 words, in Korea only how to say thank you, same in Chinese. The tonal languages are difficult as pronoucing the same word in different inflections means different things - sort of like our two, to, and too.

In Australia I fit right in and know my fair dinkum from my shelia and Bob's your uncle. Learned how to play cricket, lawn bowls, and footie. Couldn't really enjoy tea with them as their eat lots of English food - while they were eating the cow's organs I was asking for the meat.

I've got the wrong side of my brain wired up as language has always kicked my ass. From what I've been told english is one of the hardest langages to learn as we have no sets of rules of our own. We adopted them from the Queen's English, French, German and Spanish which makes for a whacky set of rules indeed.

hmm...i wonder why?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:56:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

I've seen white bitches...

Charming, just charming.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:59:57 AM EST
Man you just moved to Tyler?

You are down here in my neck of the woods now!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:05:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:14:34 AM EST

They should charge admission for watching the inbreds, retards and geriatrics attempt to use the self-checkout lanes. HA!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:19:40 AM EST
Mahatma8Rice

That was immature of you haveI have seen too many children with american women in the locan supermarket screaming their heads off that I WANT THIS!GIVE ME THAT! Their parents either gave them what they wanted to quiet them down or said Plezzze be quiet honey!
My parents woulda have said no & that was it! If I made a big deal of it I would have recieved a sharp wack across the ass.

There is too much time out bullshit in this country!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:23:29 AM EST

Ummmm...no.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:38:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By POWER03:

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:39:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By Paul: An American woman would have just let her kids go crazy in the store while she did her shopping while talking on the cell phone completely ignoring what her brood was doing.

You should not make those blanket statements that are also wrong. Change the "An American women" to "Some" or even "Many' and you would be correct. My daughter is almost 10 and never acts up out in public and very rarely does so in private. We took her to nice restaurants from the time she was born and she never cried or caused any type of commotion.

I can't tell you how many times people have approached my wife and me and said what a good girl she is. She just got recognition yesterday for having perfect attendance at Sunday School for 5 years straight. (It is actually 6 years but they don't start keeping track untill Kindergarten)
She is very well behaved and goes to a private Christian school. She shoots .22's and .410's and owns her own heavy barreled, Leupold scoped 10-22 and Winchester 1300 youth 20 ga although she has not fired ether one yet.

She is a Girl Scout, has taken Piano lessons for almost 8 years, sings in the church choir (youth) and has just joined band and is playing the "Glockenspiel" (sp?) (bells)

Bottom line is, this parent and millions of others I hope would not stand by and not correct their children.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:43:03 AM EST
Hmmm, what a concept...

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:52:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By colinjay:

Originally Posted By Ogre_4070:

You ain't from Tollah either.

Go down to the Walmart, heck go down to the SUPER Walmart and report back on what you see there. I have seen parents backhanding their filthy kids, kids running loose in the sotre ripping down displays, you name it.

!

I'm not from Tyler but I can see plenty of that at any Walmart around here also. I was just stating that I don't allow that type of behavior.
Top Top