Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/22/2002 9:34:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2002 9:35:14 PM EST by M4_Aiming_at_U]
I have always wanted to go to Scotland and trace the origins of my family Clan (Armstrong of Liddesdale). After seeing great airfare prices and I can rent a car there at the age of 23 (NOT 25 like here in the USA) I decided to take the plunge.Being a college student and working only 30 hrs a week it looks like I may have to only buy some ammo and a few inexpensive accessories ant the gun shows [:(] But in the end I think it will be worth it. Only $2,000 left to go!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:03:17 AM EST
Good luck and I envy you. I'd LOVE to go back to Europe as a tourist. Buy a Eurorail pass for 30 days and just go for broke. Let us know how the trip went. You can get by with little money and still get yourself ready for the Big One. A reliable SKS, web gear and ammo will be a good start. Buy a rifle that will allow you to practice every weekend with lots of ammo. If you buy something that breaks your budget and doesn't let you shoot often, then there's not much point. Don't forget your basic skills too: fitness, land nav, fishing, trapping, shelter, etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:53:50 AM EST
Tickets to the UK are pretty damn cheap from the east coast, man. How long were you planning on staying?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:43:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:31:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2002 5:33:44 AM EST by imposter]
I went over to England and visited the little town where my people come from. The cemetary was filled with my surname, back to the 1600s when the crown first made peasants start using last names. Literally hundreds of years of my people. Then, about 60 years ago, they all died or left. There is not a soul in town I am still related to. In fact, it is more like a gas n' go than a town now. Ah, progress. Your money will be well spent. Be sure to spend some time looking around the rest of Scotland; it is an interesting place. You might as well spend some time in England too. There is a lot to see, even if the people are not as friendly as the Scots.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:57:48 AM EST
I'm of Scotch-Irish and English decent. I'm planning on going to the UK sometime in the future. M4_Aiming_at_U if you can go see Ireland also. My family came from Northern Ireland. From the books and shows I've seen it looks beautiful. When I go I want to see Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England. Although I believe the Uk is ass backwards with thier gun laws, liberal politics, above street spy cameras. I am proud of the culture my ancesters had in the olden days. Good luck. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:19:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kaiser_Soze: Good luck and I envy you. I'd LOVE to go back to Europe as a tourist. Buy a Eurorail pass for 30 days and just go for broke. Let us know how the trip went. You can get by with little money and still get yourself ready for the Big One. A reliable SKS, web gear and ammo will be a good start. Buy a rifle that will allow you to practice every weekend with lots of ammo. If you buy something that breaks your budget and doesn't let you shoot often, then there's not much point.
View Quote
Thanks for the best wishes. as far as getting guns I have enough to last me untill nezt spring,check my member profile for pictures. I just meant in my post I wont be buying [u]anymore[/u] guns probably till spring at the gunshows.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:21:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By imposter: I went over to England and visited the little town where my people come from. The cemetary was filled with my surname, back to the 1600s when the crown first made peasants start using last names. Literally hundreds of years of my people. Then, about 60 years ago, they all died or left. There is not a soul in town I am still related to. In fact, it is more like a gas n' go than a town now. Ah, progress. Your money will be well spent. Be sure to spend some time looking around the rest of Scotland; it is an interesting place. You might as well spend some time in England too. There is a lot to see, even if the people are not as friendly as the Scots.
View Quote
What part of the UK did you go to?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:13:44 AM EST
My sister-in-law is Scottish and I went over to meet her family in '92. The town she is from, Fraserburgh, is home to the first lighthouse in Scotland. When we went in '92 Fraserburgh had just celebrated it's 800th anniversary. I was there 2 weeks and took 12 rolls of film and all of the pictures were of castles, I was an architecture student at the time. The landscape kind of reminded me of the hill country of Texas except that sometimes you turned a corner and there was the North Sea. You won't be dissapointed in Scotland because there is much to see.
Top Top