Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2016 4:39:13 PM EDT
Gentleman,

The lady friend and I will be embarking on a trip to Yellowstone in mid May. What are your must see places? We will be there for about four full days, and are not completely attached to the idea of just seeing thermal features, but would like to see a good array of things in the park. We also will be camping each night, hotels were too darn expensive Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:40:23 PM EDT
Hand feed the bears
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2016 4:52:35 PM EDT by Grunteled]
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
Fairy Falls.
The paint pots
Artist Point
Mystic Falls
Lava Creek Trail / Undine Falls

Several trails overlook Ol' Faithful for a view without the crowds of Japanese.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:50:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2016 4:51:33 PM EDT by TokerM]
I was there as a kid in the 70's. You can't do the stuff we did back then any more.

My takeaway memories as a 7 y.o.:

Waiting for Old Faithful. I think I remember seeing it go, but I've seen so much footage of it, that I don't trust what's real and what's not. I do remember the predicted time board, the shop/visitor area, and hanging out near the rail though.
The thermal pools. The really cool colors, clear water, etc... Thermal pools were the real highlight.
The mud pits. Bubbling mud is some of the most awesomist shit in the universe to a seven year old.
Dad walking over to a bison in a field to take a picture. He learned later how dangerous that was. (not from experience)
The ranger coming into the camp area to warn everyone on the loudspeaker to put their food and trash up, there be bears about.

And trees. Lots of trees.

(not of the above is to imply I didn't like the trip. My parents took us on great vacations like that, and Yellowstone was to the top of the list.)
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:50:57 PM EDT
Rassle an injun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:52:22 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 97echo:
Hand feed the bears
View Quote

And don't forget to pet the buffalo. They love to be touched by tourist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:53:42 PM EDT
Hand feed the bears
View Quote

Bike on cliffs
Pass on curves

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:54:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Hand feed the bears

You saw that video the other day too? Gal walked up and pet the bull bison near Old Faithful Inn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:54:24 PM EDT
Grand Canyon

Old Faithful

I liked the Lake Cruise, some would say not a have to.

Mammoth hot springs

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:56:10 PM EDT

View All Quotes
Hand feed the bears

Wolves too. They're like big puppies, only a little more bitey.

I saw a documentary-short on tv about helping them to establish new territories. Just load them up in your car.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:57:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By guns762:

You saw that video the other day too? Gal walked up and pet the bull bison near Old Faithful Inn.
View All Quotes
Hand feed the bears

Yes, and it was unfortunate she didn't get tossed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:58:53 PM EDT
slap a Bison on the ass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:59:50 PM EDT
Drive through the Lamar Valley and watch all the photographers trying to snap pics of Grizzlies and wolves.

Consider a day trip to Cody (firearms museum) and/or go up the Beartooth pass toward Red Lodge, MT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:04:43 PM EDT
If entering the Park through the east entrance, you need to stop in Cody to go through the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum...a must see...more guns than you've ever seen.

Plan a full day there to do it justice. Especially good idea if the weather is rough in the park...and it can be in May.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:08:38 PM EDT
Good suggestions so far. I'd suggest a trip to the Grand Tetons. One of the most beautiful places in the world.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:14:29 PM EDT
Do it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:17:21 PM EDT
Hand feed the bears
View Quote

I came here to post this
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2016 5:20:56 PM EDT by Eukatae]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:20:25 PM EDT
Bath in one of the Natural Hot Springs. They're divine!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:20:59 PM EDT
Do a loop so you go in one entrance and come out the another. See Tetons first and then go out the east entrance to stop at Cody or reverse it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:24:22 PM EDT
Last gas at east entry. There was a fat guy with a heavy Boston accent tending shop. The guy told us a griz was about two miles east of the lake. Sure enough. Listen to that guy. First criiter we saw was a griz.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:26:26 PM EDT
In 4 days you cannot do the park justice so don't even try. The road out the NE entrance is one of the most scenic routes in the country. Animal watching can be interesting. Lots of newborn bison in may. The walkways around Old Faithful are nice. The thermal features are a lot more interesting than you may think. Look at park website to see road conditions, construction delays etc.

Hit the park early (06:00) before the tourons take over. By 10:00 it can be a zoo. Evening is a nice time to visit some areas too after the midday crush. You don't go and "Do" Yellowstone. It is a place you need to take time to stop and observe. There is a book called "The Roadside Geology of Yellowstone National Park." Get it now or buy it when you get there. It explains what you are looking at. The last volcanic eruption in Yellowstone was about 1300 BCE. It created a feature known as Indian Pond.

The park is always changing and it will surprise you wen you least expect it. One geyser called Steamboat sat idle for 50 years and has no known timetable. It rarely erupts, but if you catch it erupting it would be an experience of a lifetime. Imagine walking next to it when it erupts throwing scalding hot water 400 feet into the air. You just never know what is going to happen. I have been visiting the park on and off for 25 years and it is never the same place twice.

Enjoy your visit. I may be out there in late May too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:27:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SpudCrushr:
Do it.

http://www.ooyuz.com/images/2015/6/23/1437685430290.jpg
View Quote

Ducks are the natural enemy of the American Bison.

All one has to to to avoid a bison attack is to continuously impersonate a duck when near them.

As this picture shows, when near a perceived duck, the bison will go into a slightly catatonic state, and appear like a statue, until the danger passes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:30:08 PM EDT
Stay in the Tetons. Lot less people and lot less aggravating people. Lots of time at Yellowstone it's more traffice than the mall on Black Friday. Oh look a buffalo, 3 hour traffic backup. Go to the Tetons and you can get on the out of the way roads and be the only person there and lots of buffalo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:31:50 PM EDT
Early may, All the roads may not be open. If it says 4x4 only don't take a non 4x4 down the road. Remember Moose, Grizzlies, and elk have the right away. They are bigger then you are and can hurt you bad. My son and I were out there in early May one year. We were in a 4x4 F150. People in cars would follow us down 4x4 only roads and get stuck in the snow and want us to help them out after the 3rd time we stopped helping stupid people. We saw people try to pet Elk and a Moose calf. Both were chased away my not happy Mom Animals. Have fun Mind the wildlife.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:40:13 PM EDT
The must not do's might be more important.

don't feed yourself to the bears
don't walk on crusty mud pits
etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:42:30 PM EDT
Fpni
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:42:48 PM EDT
Hike to the base of lower falls
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:44:00 PM EDT
Lamar Valley in the evening. Cresting a hill and seeing Bison as far as the eye could see took my breath away. Got to watch a couple of the big boys head butting in the middle of the road. Decided not to step in a break it up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:55:01 PM EDT
I went to Yellowstone in the 90's, not long after the massive forest fires almost burned up the main lodge. It rained for most of the time we were there, but Old Faithful was worth seeing, even in the rain, with busloads of Japanese tourists around. I also recall visiting an amazing native american museum with lots of clothing, artifacts, because of the rain. It was probably in the southern adjoining Grand Tetons park to the south.

On a separate note, I think non-U.S. citizen visitors who don't pay taxes here should pay extra for these national parks, which don't have the money to maintain their infrastructure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:00:47 PM EDT
Tagscribe.
I'll be there May 22-24. (best I can do with only a week off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:02:19 PM EDT
A few shots of part of Mammoth Hot Springs from my visit to the park in late August 2014.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:26:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:33:24 PM EDT
Wife and I will be visiting in laws in Montana this Sept, and we wanted to do Yellowstone. Is there camping available outside the area that's decent? We don't mind camping a bit farther out to avoid crowds.

And how bad are the 4x4 only roads? We were planning on going in my wife's AWD Taurus X wagon, but I could take my Explorer instead.. just much worse MPG
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:15:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mancat:
Wife and I will be visiting in laws in Montana this Sept, and we wanted to do Yellowstone. Is there camping available outside the area that's decent? We don't mind camping a bit farther out to avoid crowds.

And how bad are the 4x4 only roads? We were planning on going in my wife's AWD Taurus X wagon, but I could take my Explorer instead.. just much worse MPG
View Quote

Rocky Mountain Campground in Gardiner at the north entrance. Privately owned with showers, laundry etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:17:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NRA2:
Beautiful! Always wondered how those now dead trees every got to grow that big or even sprout in that enviornment.
View All Quotes

Where the water comes out is always changing. Go there one year and you see water flowing down the formations. A few years later they are dried up and water is flowing out of a different spot,
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:23:38 PM EDT
OST. We are contemplating a trip this summer as well.

Lodging seems like a MFer. Everything inside Yellowstone is booked a year in advance, and everything outside the park is just as expensive but also a good hour drive away.

Thoughts on lodging?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:24:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bailagent100:
If entering the Park through the east entrance, you need to stop in Cody to go through the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum...a must see...more guns than you've ever seen.

Plan a full day there to do it justice. Especially good idea if the weather is rough in the park...and it can be in May.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:29:41 PM EDT
Make sure you see the Dragons lair and do the little trail walk around. IMHO it's the coolest steam vent
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:41 PM EDT
Hope it don't blow up ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:01 PM EDT

View All Quotes
Hand feed the bears

I hear they'll crouch down and let you ride them if you hit their head hard enough....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:57 PM EDT
Mamouth hot springs
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:34:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TokerM:

I saw a documentary-short on tv about helping them to establish new territories. Just load them up in your car.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TokerM:
Hand feed the bears

They love dogs, too. Especially the little Yorkies and Shi-tzus carried by the old ladies; they'll frolic for hours together in the meadows.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:37:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Eukatae:
Be prepared to be overwhelmed....by the people. There are throngs of them. If you think you are going to camp at the park...it's fucking miserable. Camp sites that are stacked on top of one another, lines to enter, a bazillion rules and regulations. traffic everywhere, honestly you are better off visiting in the winter.
View Quote

The OP is going in mid-May; the park isn't very crowded then. In fact, before Memorial Day and after Labor Day are the best times to visit.

Then again, camping in the park in mid-May would indeed be fucking miserable, especially if you get snowed on (a very real possibility in May).
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:39:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mazeman:
Drive through the Lamar Valley and watch all the photographers trying to snap pics of Grizzlies and wolves.

Consider a day trip to Cody (firearms museum) and/or go up the Beartooth pass toward Red Lodge, MT.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:25:08 AM EDT
If I could only do one part of the park, I'd go to the Grand Canyon. Just down the road is Hayden Valley where you will see vast quantities of buffalo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:29:39 AM EDT
Look for the Forest Fenn treasure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:51:44 PM EDT
Thanks for the tips guys.

Any one do the, "Back country pass" as opposed to getting a camp site? relatively close to the car camping should negate any terrible snow or rain issues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:55:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
OST. We are contemplating a trip this summer as well.

Lodging seems like a MFer. Everything inside Yellowstone is booked a year in advance, and everything outside the park is just as expensive but also a good hour drive away.

Thoughts on lodging?
View Quote

Timing. Timing is everything.

We were there 2nd week of september 2015. Did not stay in park but found moderately priced accomodations just outside the gates in all four directions. Not cheap but not peak pricing either. I may still have the info if interested.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:59:50 PM EDT

View All Quotes
Hand feed the bears

I worked/lived at Old Faithful for 12 years, before everybody had a pocket video camera. I have seen more than a few people pet Bison. There was an employee one summer that frequently pet an old bull that hung out around the dorms.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:44:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
Thanks for the tips guys.

Any one do the, "Back country pass" as opposed to getting a camp site? relatively close to the car camping should negate any terrible snow or rain issues.
View Quote
Yellowstone uses a "designated" backcountry campsite system, meaning you have to use an assigned campsite and can't just pick a spot in the woods like you can in some of the other parks. That time of year there only a few that are are going to be accessible due to snow and bear area closures. A quick look at the backcountry guide shows all those are minimum 1.5 miles from the trailheads, so I'm not sure if you consider that "close to car camping"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top