Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 9:22:50 AM EDT
I am to young to know about the origination of “yellow ribbons”, what they stood for, and any connotations associated with them (am old enough to rember the song, but only bearly, and suspect the song was refering to something else as well).  I had been seeing tons of them on cars over the last year or two, and recently have been seeing red/white/blue and camo ribbons as well.  

Was curious if anyone would like to help out the young pupps out there and let us know what they are supposed to mean.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]

I'm coming home I've done my time
And I have to know what is or isn't mine
If you received my letter
Telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'd know just what to do
If you still want me
If you still want me

Oh tie a yellow ribbon
'Round the old oak tree
It's been three long years
Do you still want me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon
'Round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us
Put the blame on me
'Round the old oak tree

Bus driver please look for me
'Cause I couldn't bare to see what I might see
I'm really still in prison
And my love she holds the key
A simple yellow ribbon's all I need to set me free
I wrote and told her please

Oh tie a yellow ribbon
'Round the old oak tree
It's been three long years
Do you still want me
'Round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us
Put the blame on me
'Round the old oak tree

Now the whole damn bus is cheering
And I can't believe I see
A hundred yellow ribbons
'Round the old, the old oak tree

Tie a ribbon 'round the old oak tree

Russell Brown/Irwin Levine
Irwin Levine Music/
Larball Publishing Co. Inc. Plat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Also used by poeople who have friends or relatives with soldiers in Iraq.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It's from the civil war era, as I recall.

I dislike the trend. ribbons have come to be associated with support for
various victim groups like AIDS or breast cancer.

The US military in Iraq are not victims. They are the agents that will
accomplish the destruction of our enemies.  I prefer a simple US flag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an American Flag and also yellow ribbons. I don't see our Soldiers as victims. I have it there to show that I support and am thankful for our troops and am proud of them. I always tell people if you think your having a bad day, think about our troops and the day thy're having. I don't have any problems.

Also it's hard to be a victim when your a bunch of BAD-ASS TERRORIST KILLING MEAN MOTHER-FUCKERS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Sgtar was partially correct. The tradition of tying yellow ribbons around trees did come from the song and it started in the 70's during the Iranian Hostage crisis. The Iranian Muslims held US hostages for 444 days while our limp dick president Carter worked on his Nobel peace prize and the hostages families needed something for hope that their loved ones would be released and for a show of support. As the song suggested yellow ribbons were tied around tree's all over the country almost like all the US flags after 9/11.

A kid from my home town named Bill Gallegos was a US Marine guard that was one of the hostages. Pueblo had a ton of yellow ribbons tied around any and everything. After Bill was released he became a Police officer for the city of Pueblo.

As for the magnetic yellow and red/white/blue ribbons you see on cars now it is simply a show of support for our troops. In fact one organization that sold them used the profits to send care packages to our troops but they have sold out of ribbons but still have bumper stickers.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Folk history of the yellow ribbon:

www.loc.gov/folklife/ribbons/ribbons.html
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, but nowadays I see "ribbon" magnets on cars touting support for everything from high school cheerleading squads to country music singers. It's been done to death now to the point that the original intent is just mixed in with all the other commercial "me too" crap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You've never heard of Tony Orlando and Dawn?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top