Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2002 8:55:43 AM EDT
I mowed over a Yellow Jacket nest yesterday.  I got stung by 5.  I'll estimate that 40-50 were swarming around my legs.  The last (and first) time this happened, which was years ago, 2 got me.  I got 3 in the right leg, and two in the left.  Happily, I'm not alergic, but that doesn't make it hurt less.

My questions:

- Any truth the statement that the more you get stung, the more sensitive you are to future stings?  Kind of like the reverse of immunity.

- Is there any organization to Colonies?  How close to one nest does a colony tolerate another's existance?  I'd like to get a rule of thumb going that when a nest is located, there shouldn't be another within X feet.  Clearly, what I want to get here is the confidence that my lawn is free once this one is destroyed.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Got nailed on the forearm by one Yellowjacket a couple weekends ago.  Next day the forearm exhibited pronounced swelling around the sting with swelling extending to upper arm and hand.  Took six days for swelling to subside.  Fifteen days later area of sting still exhibits redness 1/2 inch in diameter and occaisional acute pain between 3-4-5 knuckles.

The nest was located under the seat of a porch swing.  Could have stung my kids.

I hosed those MF'ers with Raid Wasp & Hornet spray.  Kill 'em, kill 'em all.

Wouldn't expect you guys to have experienced the pleasure of climbing a windmill tower in the summer but the platform under the gearbox was always FULL of wasps, hornets and yellowjackets.  Days before wasp spray that was not a fun job.  Climbed towers as soon as it started getting light so they'd stay on the nest.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
There were Yellow Jackets, without a doubt.  I live in Central Virginia, and most YJ nests around here are below ground.

Indeed they did get me on the next pass.  Their burrow was in the track I just cut, and they got me on the next loop.  I didn't even know I stirred them up until I felt multiple touches on my leg hair.  A split second later I got the first sting.  I haven't run that fast in years.  When I got indoors, I had to smash the remaining ones.  Happily, I was wearing shoes and socks, whereas I'd be normally wearing sandals.  (lesson learned) Several of the little bastards were going to town on my shoelaces.  When I got indoors, those that didn't have a good hold on me or my clothes, seemed to let go and retreat to the windows (light source?).

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want it to stop hurting crush up an asprin wet it a little and apply it like a paste.After you take out the stinger if one is present.This works like a light switch.

You can be stung one time and be fine.Then the next time you'll be somewhat allergic to the sting.Rare but it happens.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#9]
tannerite is the key to removal of yellow jackets :D
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The yellowjackets we had when I was growing up in TX had above ground nests that looked like they were made out of paper tubes laid paralell in a cluster. Red wasps had the same type of nest, usually hanging off of overhangs or in corners on the deck and stuff. While the yellowjackets were bad enough, they had nothin on a pissed off red wasp. I have been hit by those guys for absolutely no reason, and they hurt like hell! I had someone tell me that putting wetted tobacco or a tomato slice over the sting helps, but I don't kow for sure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Another useful trick....it sounded like a wive's tale til I tried it...slice and onion in half and apply it to the area....The capilary{sp}
action in the onion will draw some of the poison out....you can actually see a small spot on the onion after a few minutes...I was stung by several Black wasps...I did this an all of the spots that I treated were good....the one I missed sent me to the hospital for a shot....mmmm benydril.....
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it very common to get an infection after being stung by a yellow jacket (or other stinging insect)?

My dad was stung two weeks ago by some that made a nest in a rotten log on his wood pile.  He was making a stake for the garden using a hatchet, right on top of their home.  They weren't happy.  One got him on the inside of his wrist.  It flew down the cuff of his work glove.  (I haven't seen the old guy run that fast in years).

The downside is: in a few days he got an infection at the sting site that he ended up going to the doctor for.  The doctor gave him Keflex(sp?) and he had a reaction to the antibiotic.  Now he is in terrible shape, hives and a little fluid in his lungs.  (He's been back to the doctor and should be OK)  Just sucks to have a "simple" sting screw a person up so bad.

Is an infection common?

Kent
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
By the way...

Someone told me years ago that the active ingedients of wasp and hornet spray were either similar or the same stuff as found in nerve agents.  Is this true or urban legend?

I do know it kills 'em fast.  The little buggers that got my dad didn't live more than five minutes after they "assaulted" him.  (Less than a minute after I finally found the can of wasp spray).

Kent
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#15]
By the way...

Someone told me years ago that the active ingredients of wasp and hornet spray were either similar or the same stuff as found in nerve agents. Is this true or urban legend?
View Quote

This is true. Even common ant and roach spray will test positive as a nerve agent with a detector kit.
We used to use RAID! Ant and roach spray as a training aid when doing NBC stuff in the Army.

As an aside on the stings...
A few months ago, I was doing some work in the yard. My back was sore from what I had done the previous day (I [b]COULD[/b] bend over to pick stuff up, but it [b][red]HURT[/red][/b] to stand back up)
While moving some stuff out of the carport, I disturbed a nest. When I went sprinting out of the carport, I must have had 10 or 15 buzzing around my head.  Ended up with 6 stings on the chest, shoulders, and neck.
The stings weren’t that bad. After 10-12 minutes they didn’t even burn any more, just kind of itched.
The amazing thing is that as soon as they hit me my back pain was [b]GONE[/b].
Don't know that I'll go looking for a wasp nest next time my back is acting up on me, but it’s nice to know I have that option [:D]
echo6

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Although, I'd bet that throwing a bunch of gasoline in an underground yellow jacket nest, and then tossing in a match (or tracer or incendiary round!) would be pretty damn cool [rocket]

-Gloftoe
View Quote

To burn the nest out you wait until dusk then douse the hole with gas and quickly light it; any of the little suckers that tries to get out because of the heat gets its wings crisped.

Although it works (I'd done it a couple of times when I was younger) it's dangerous, you risk lighting up yourself or starting an out-of-control grass fire.  Next time I'll try the nighttime gallon-of-insecticide bath.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I got stung by a yellow jacket on wednesday. It was a paper wasp, the ones with those thin long yellow legs. There was a nest nearby and didn't realize I was close. One stung me in the arm. My pops told me to put mud on. As I did a couple of neighbors were staring at me. Being embarrassed I told them that it opens up the pores. But the pain was a bitch. It almost spread to my entire arm. But it went away on saturday. I have a little kit for camping called The Terminator. It's like a big yellow syringe with suction cups. Didn't have it with me at the time. The manual inside says as you become stung over the years, your immune system improves with stings. Well, it definately didn't improve when I got stung. Now I carry the spray that streams up to 20 feet. I'm gonna tahe an old tool belt and create a holster for the can. Maybe even take a ring holder from a coffee cup and tape it on. :)
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Another neat way of getting rid of a nest of these buggers (or any wasp-like creature) is gasoline.  Down in South Texas, if I find a wasp next in a shed, or on an overhang, I just throw a half a coffee can full of gasoline on them.  Direct hits kill them instantly.  Just don't light a match!

Although, I'd bet that throwing a bunch of gasoline in an underground yellow jacket nest, and then tossing in a match (or tracer or incendiary round!) would be pretty damn cool [rocket]

-Gloftoe
View Quote

If you light the gas it pulls all the vapor out of the hole!
It is the vapor that kills them!
Gas is the best to use.
Just remember to use a can and not a styrofoam cup like some of the "City Boys" try to use.
Garrett snuff mixed with spit (or water) is one of the best to use on the stings.

Best of luck with them!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it very common to get an infection after being stung by a yellow jacket (or other stinging insect)?
View Quote

I don't know about yellow jacket stings in particular, but it's possible to get an infection any time the skin is broken.  It's possible that your dad just had some bacteria on his skin and when the yellow jacket stung him, it drove the bacteria into the wound.  Maybe he scratched or rubbed the sting and that could have put bacteria in the wound too.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been stung quite a bit over the years playing outdoors and never had infection of a sting.

Last year, we had a yellowjacket nest inside my garage wall, which is hollow 8" concrete block.  Hundreds, in and out all day long.
No way to get spray into the nest, due to warped board covering top of block but still allowing bee access. Picking off singles seemed unproductive, so we decided to try another way.
Rigging an extension tube to the shop vac, we placed the tip of the tube very close to the entrance of the nest. As the yellowjackets went in and out, they got sucked into the vacuum.  Lots of fun to watch. Over the course of several days, I would occasionally spray insecticide into the vacuum hose, shake the vacuum good, wait awhile and then dump it.  My wife (bless her heart) counted batches of the bastards I dumped out on the garage floor.  We goy more that ONE THOUSAND from this one nest.
I would have never imagined so many.[x]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Hung out of upstairs bedroom window with shop vac also, works well, a little carb cleaner, dump and stomp them. Got stung once, flew straight at my nose, hit me, felt like I got punched in nose, but I knew to hurry up and pull stinger if it was still there. Minimal pain, sore for day or so. We get them around here, I spray with carb cleaner, or wait till evening when it cools down, and soak the nest, just make sure you soak them and nest quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top