Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 6:08:32 AM EDT
Back in the spring, I posted a thread here with a work related dilemma. I had received a job offer from another travel company, to come in and be their corporate trainer. At the time, I was working in downtown Boston, and wasn't really thrilled with my train commute, and wasn't thrilled with my office mates, so the job sounded really attractive. It wasn't a pay increase, but I've always wanted to get into training, had dabbled in it from time to time in my career, but never really had "the position".

Well, my current company counter offered, and I decided to stay where I was. But I moved back to the headquarters office south of the city, so now I drive to work, and I asked if I could add some training responsibilities to my workload, and was told yes, that they'd see what I could come up with on a trial basis, and we'd see where it went.

Well, here's an update. I'm so excited. I initially came up with a training "test" of sorts for the agents, to see just where they stood. Well, they didn't do too well. This was a useful tool, because had I asked the agents what they need help with, I probably wouldn't have gotten a response. So, this told me what I needed to know.

So, every week, I prepare a presentation for our Thursday morning meeting, with handouts, and focus on one training subject each week. Today we did hotels, and last week we did cars. It was awesome. They're learning alot from my experience, and from what I dig up as far as new formats/enhancements. AND, our currect receptionist has decided that she wants to train to be an agent, and the president has asked me to train her, and have her ready and online by January 1.
This is huge. I haven't yet asked for any monetary compensation for this, I thought I'd let my worth shine through, but I got a ton of congratulatory and thank you emails from the agents, and from my immediate supervisors today, telling me how great I'm doing.

I tell you, if I ever wanted to create a perfect position for myself, it's happening right now!!!

I just had to share..I'm so excited. You really can be what you put forth in effort!!

And thanks to all for your input last spring. I'm so glad I stuck it out where I was.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:16:43 AM EDT
Daisy,

Congrats and make sure you bring up your contributions to the company's profitability at your next performance review. Conratulations again!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:17:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 6:17:56 AM EDT by SP1Grrl]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:17:46 AM EDT

YAY DAISY!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:40:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:57:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Attagirl (somehow that doesn't have the same ring as "attaboy" but hey)!!!

Congrats!

Like hell it doesn't...

wait...how 'bout: Attawench?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:06:18 AM EDT
You have the same job my sister had at CI travel in Va beach. She loved it.

Hint
She worked her job so that she could check out a lot of resorts.. She would travel to a resort and check it out so she could "train" the agents on what the resort had to offer. Of course it was all work and everything was paid most of the time by the resort.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:21:46 AM EDT
way to go Daisy!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:05:58 AM EDT
Way to Go! Congrats!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:37:19 AM EDT
Yahoo! SO COOOOL...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:45:08 AM EDT
This is one of the things that makes this country great....people taking the initiative on their own.

However, the dims don't want anyone doing this, because if everyone did, the dims would not be needed for handouts anymore!

Way to go Daisy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:53:57 AM EDT
GREAT JOB DAISY!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:13:03 PM EDT
Good job Daisy! What do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:54:52 PM EDT
Great job, Daisy! Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:42:00 PM EDT
That's awesome daisywench, congratulations. Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:34:18 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:03:57 PM EDT
WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:32:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
Good job Daisy! What do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a corporate travel agent, I do ONLY business travel, and I am the dedicated agent for a multi million dollar travel acount, and I have a few smaller accounts, also.

But I've always wanted to get into training the other agents (to be as good as me, lol!)...and that's where I'm headed now. It was cool, because I was basically able to run with it (with approvals here and there) and design my own program. And it's really taken off, and I'm being given more and more responsibility, and being referred to by the president of the company as "part of the management team". I'm just so excited, I've wanted to do this for so long.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! I appreciate it!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:46:24 AM EDT
Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:53:42 AM EDT
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:53:41 PM EDT
That is awsome Daisy!!!!!!!!

Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:28:53 PM EDT
Good for you Daisy!!

Congratulations!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:42:00 PM EDT
Good job!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
Daisy, Great Job!

BTW, IMO, give `em 3 months OR until you start feeling "unappreciated" whichever comes first. IF they haven't compenseated you appropriately by then, find another position and move.

I realize times are "tough" for businesses, but they HAVE to keep the real "gems" happy. If they don't - they do not deserve you.

I NEVER ask for a raise, never have, never will, I let them know up front as long as I feel "appreciated" and get regular, appropriate raises, I'm happy - when I'm not happy, I figure it's time to move. I'm almost 40 and have only had 5 (primary) positions (if one doesn't include 2nd and 3rd jobs) And that includeds the "fast food" deal in HS. So, it works - and sounds like you have the intelligence and knowledge/skills to back it all up too.

Originally Posted By u-baddog:
You have the same job my sister had at CI travel in Va beach. She loved it.

Hint
She worked her job so that she could check out a lot of resorts.. She would travel to a resort and check it out so she could "train" the agents on what the resort had to offer. Of course it was all work and everything was paid most of the time by the resort.

NICE hint!

Top Top