Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2002 6:39:06 PM EDT
U.S. House of Representatives votes to expel Rep. James Traficant, making him only the second member kicked out since the Civil War. For the latest news, watch CNN or log on to [url=http://www.cnn.com]cnn.com[/url]
View Quote

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,58677,00.html]FoxNews.com[/url]

Yes I read Cnn. Know your enemy...
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't he say he'd be just as effective from a jail cell?

What a maroon!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The foos strikes me as a mobster wanna-be...

did anyone catch his display with the guy from NPR? What a maroon is right.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
hey, they can't boot his ass! He got elected, right? That would be "overturning the will of the people", would it not? Seems like I heard that, about a zillion times, in '98. Anyone else remember that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Though Traficant was not perfect, as far as patriots go, he was/is a good guy. It appears that there is a lot of corruption here in Ohio (what else is new). Traficant's problems appear to be the  product of a set up. I agree that he should have watched himself more than he did, but he was still on the patriots side. He often is quoted as saying that he loved his country but hated his leaders. This just emphasizes that when you go against corruption, be as squeaky clean as you can.

There is more fallout from Traficant than is being published. Some patriot friendly attorneys are on the hot seat because of their association with Traficant plus their efforts to expose the corruption.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Though Traficant was not perfect, as far as patriots go, he was/is a good guy. It appears that there is a lot of corruption here in Ohio (what else is new). Traficant's problems appear to be the  product of a set up. I agree that he should have watched himself more than he did, but he was still on the patriots side. He often is quoted as saying that he loved his country but hated his leaders. This just emphasizes that when you go against corruption, be as squeaky clean as you can.

There is more fallout from Traficant than is being published. Some patriot friendly attorneys are on the hot seat because of their association with Traficant plus their efforts to expose the corruption.
View Quote

Hmmm, the plot thickens... perhaps I was too quick too judge. Better read up on this fellow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard some of his testimony on the radio.  

The guy is hillarious!  He sounded like an old-school gumbah.  The wimpy gov't lawyer kept tying to get him to answer his questions and old Jimmy wouldn't play ball.  He just kept saying what he wanted to say.  

He at least sounded like he had some balls.  He fought back...something a lot of the pussies around now don't know how to do.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The article did state how he angered the Demo's repeatedly by siding with the Rep's.......

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
darn... sorry to see him go..
Now what else is C-Span going to replace that great "mini-series" with?
[;)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Condit was the only vote for him, IIRC....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to agree.  This guy is not evil.  He's been very anti gov't. on a lot of things and outspoken, so he was intentionally targeted.
I'm sure many members of congress have done and continue to do the same things he was convicted of (kickbacks, tax evasion, etc.) but because they don't rattle any cages, they don't get FBI attention.

Really sort of sorry to see him go.

Some friends he had in Congress too;  one vote for him.  Guess they think this is going to be re election issue for them if they voted their conscience.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tootles.  Only down side is that we won't be able to laugh at his hair on a regular basis anymore.
View Quote

I loved his comment today where he admitted he did his hair with a weed whacker.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]it was the biggest hypocrisy themed political show on tv last night.  bet more than half of those guys (dems specially) were squirming in their seats. what a fuckin farce.[/b]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ph yeah, Oliver North, and I think Sean Hannity, were praising him as a good guy.
View Quote

Must be true then...

I don't mind him making a mockery of his hearing before the ethics committee... they're all a joke... but this guy is a fruitcake.  The best part is when he insisted he could still fulfill his obligations to his constituents [u]in prison[/u]. [rolleyes] Shameless.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
The ethics commitee hearing was the most entertaining thing on TV ! He new he was getting the boot so why not have some fun he had nothing to loose ! Personally I'll miss him , he was the only reason to watch C-Spam, some of his 1 min speeches were great.
Well with B1 - Bob gone and now Traffy theres no reason to watch C-Spam !
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Traficant may have been a friend to patriots, BUT he has been crooked ever since he was sherrif of Mahoning County. He's been in cahoots with the Youngstown mob for decades.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Been in cahoots w/ the mafia?

He has been saying since 99 that we need to investigate Reno and the justice dept for Waco & ruby ridge. He has been saying since 98 that the FBI and THE YOUNGSTOWN MOB are in bed together!!!!

Minutes after he was voted out, his congressional website was closed, and with it, ALL of his 1 minute, beam-me-up speeches.

He has been fighting for the people his entire time in office. He has been voting his conscience, and not the party line. He'll be back, I hope. (Not too many Dems who would vote for the REPUBLICAN as speaker of the house citing gingrich as "A pu$$y that has ruined the democratic party" as his reason for his vote.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Been in cahoots w/ the mafia?

He has been saying since 99 that we need to investigate Reno and the justice dept for Waco & ruby ridge. He has been saying since 98 that the FBI and THE YOUNGSTOWN MOB are in bed together!!!!

View Quote

He'd be in the position to know since he was instrumental in several obstructions when he was sherrif. The locals love him though and he's one of those favored sons who can do no wrong. It's the flamboyant, say what's on your mind style.

I was in the Montgomery County Administration building in Dayton yesterday for a bid opening and had the opportunity to talk to a former Clerk of Courts from Mahoning County. He confirmed what I am saying about Traficant's involvement.

Hell, he was tried for acts he committed while sherriff while right after he was first elected to congress. He defended himself because he had no money from an IRS tax investigation that left him $300K lighter. He actually won that round.

I am of the mind that they are all stinky and Traficant is a guy who tries to cast himself in a better light by pointing to juicier corruption somewhere else as a smoke screen.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top