Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2012 5:36:41 AM EDT

I like my coffee.  I just don't need a entire pot of it.  So, when I got one of these, I thought I had hit the jackpot.

You can buy these little individual "K cups" of various strength and blends of coffee.

My wife and son even found hot chocolate and apple cider K-cups that they enjoy using.

Everything was wonderful.  Until then.

One morning, it gave me a half cup of coffee and sputtered out.  The machine told me that it needed to be descaled.

I followed the instructions for descaling it by pouring white vinegar into it and running it through the machine.

That fixed it right up....for about a week.

Okay, obviously I didn't use enough vinegar the first time so I used a very liberal amount and repeated the process.

That fixed it right up....for about a week.

Dammit.  Alright, I'm going to go nuclear on it.  I decided to pour half a bottle of CLR through it.

There.  Now, we're good to go.  

That fixed it right up...for about a week.  

Dammit anyways.

So, in researching the problem on the net, I found one solution that many people have tried and reported positive results.

You have to tip your Keurig over and "spank it" on the bottom a couple of times.

That sounded completely ridiculous, so of course, I lept right to it.

My Keurig is back to making delicious coffee again.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
deceptive thread title. thread title is deceptive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
We have one of those, I really like it but they do have some flaws.

The more technology we have, the more shit can go wrong.

I've never had a pot on the stove break down.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
so your blaming your hard water problem on the coffee machine? I have had my keurig for 3 years and not one single issue.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I only use filtered water in mine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Hmmm.

I have used one for over a year with REALLY hard water, and it still has no issues.

In light of your post, I shall keep my pimp hand ready should the need arise.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Weird.  My Keurig is about three years old, and I've yet to descale with no problems.  Good info though if it ever needs it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hmmm.

I have used one for over a year with REALLY hard water, and it still has no issues.

My problems started at about the one year mark.  

I really have used it a lot though.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Repent and give up your addiction to the devil's brew.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Every flavor tastes the same to me...burned.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Repent and give up your addiction to the devil's brew.

...from my cold, dead hands.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.

try softening your water or use filtered water.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Same here.  Over a year of trouble-free operation from the Keurig.

I picked up one of those little filter cups that let you load your own coffee.  It's an expensive little booger for what it is, but it does pay for itself.  Like my LULA, I think it's overpriced, but if I lost it I'd buy another one right away.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I think is says in the manual to use filtered water only.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.

try softening your water or use filtered water.

I don't buy water.

That's where I draw the line.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't buy water.

There are a number of filter systems you can install for reasonable money...like the Pur system that fits on your faucet.

That sounds like a logical and reasonable solution.

Therefore, I shall ignore it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Try making it with beer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't buy water.

There are a number of filter systems you can install for reasonable money...like the Pur system that fits on your faucet.

This is general discussion. Perhaps an exorcism? Maybe get a couple of dowels and go look for a good place for a well in the backyard?

I was considering the possibility of just pulling out the toaster and a loaf of bread in front of it.

You know...make it jealous.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#24]
What the hell is wrong with a full pot of STRONG coffee?

It is considered an advance to have a single serving of weak ass coffee?

I don't get it.

More is more and more is better when it comes to coffee.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't buy water.

This is general discussion. Perhaps an exorcism? Maybe get a couple of dowels and go look for a good place for a well in the backyard?

I was considering the possibility of just pulling out the toaster and a loaf of bread in front of it.

You know...make it jealous.

Maybe shoot the George Foreman grill in front of it to show it who's boss?

My George Foreman burned a chicken breast last October.

I threw it over the neighbors fence.

Yeah, who's laughing now smart guy?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A stove is way too much technology and could break at any time.  That's why I use fire.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#27]
We have one at work and I don't like it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this. we got ourselves one for Christmas. love it !!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

We'll see how long it lasts.

Pretty common theme with these Keurig machines, I'm sad to say.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I brought my monkey into this thread for no reason?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#32]
This happened to my MIL...
She called the company, great customer service. Made her send in one main component and then they mailed her a new entire unit...Not quite a free pressure washer, but still nice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Unfortunately my wife came into the marriage with a George Foreman grill.   The fast cooking time is more than offset by the pain the ass cleaning.

Not a fan of those things.

My experience went like this -

"Oh look, this is a nifty gadget!"

"Why does my chicken taste like cardboard?"

"Cleaning this sucks."

"Why does my burger taste like cardboard?"

"Cleaning this sucks"

"Hey, want a like new Foreman Grill?"  (ha ha sucker!!)

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#34]
This thread is totally unfapable, and misleading
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I had the same issues with mine. I called Keurig and they sent me out a new one within a week, no cost to me. I didn't have the receipt or anything but they did it anyways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't buy water.

Pur "systems" are reasonable money, but the friggin' Pur FILTERS sure ain't, and they have a short lifespan, 3mos if lucky.

I have an Aquasana system plumbed into the cold water line under the sink.

It's a two filter system with it's own faucet. You replace filters every six months.

I've been a customer of theirs for about 5yrs I'd guess... and they're a fantastic company.

In terms of support I just can't say enough good things. The water quality is great too.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't buy water.

We have a Brita http://www.brita.com/products/water-dispensers/ultramax/ that works fine.  Pour tap water in the top, get filtered water out the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Piss in the toaster as a warning.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#39]
had one, went back to a press.

Those damn k-cups get expensive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't buy water.

water wiching is a scam!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So, in researching the problem on the net, I found one solution that many people have tried and reported positive results.

You have to tip your Keurig over and "spank it" on the bottom a couple of times.

That sounded completely ridiculous, so of course, I lept right to it.

My Keurig is back to making delicious coffee again.  We'll see how long it lasts.

I went through 3 Keurigs and 1 Cuisinart before I applied the spank technique.  Using nothing but filtered water and descaling often, the best I got out of any of them was a few months.  

I'm nearing a year on this unit - not even a hiccup since the pimp hand was applied.  It really works.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Sometimes ya just gotta spank it.  

The only problem I've had is sometimes when it says "Ready to brew", nothing happens when you hit the button.  You have to open it and close it, then hit the button.  Logic problem.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I am surprised these machines are still on the market with all the problems and bad reviews.  Putting this into perspective, if you asked to name a product with bad reputation and reviews on the internet, Keurig would be a popular choice, no doubt.

At about 50 cents per small cup of coffee, it never amazes me on the willingness of people to pay a premium for home-brewed coffee for the hassles that come with Keurig's products.    I've concluded it is not about the coffee or the machines, but it appeals to an neotic sense for gadgetry.

I've passed on Keurigs until they make quality machines.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A stove is way too much technology and could break at any time.  That's why I use fire.

What about that fancy-schmancy bur-grinder and pot?  All technological artifacts that could evaporate without notice!

That's why I track down the dude with the donkey load of freshly picked coffee beans and stare at them heatedly until they attain the dark roast I demand.  Then I chew them up while partaking of a fresh mountain stream, that's how real Luddites drink their coffee.  Naked.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

At about 50 cents per small cup of coffee, it never amazes me on the willingness of people to pay a premium for home-brewed coffee .

better than going to starbucks every morning
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Unfortunately my wife came into the marriage with a George Foreman grill.   The fast cooking time is more than offset by the pain the ass cleaning.

[/quote]

I have one of those and found the easiest way to clean it is to let it heat up a little (just to where the grease liquifies again), then take a big wad of paper towel, wet it a little damp with water, and use it to rub the gunk off the grill.  It comes right off that way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I actually have the exact same problem. Tried to do the descaling thing and it worked for a couple days.  I'm about to buy another one as I've had this this for 4-5 years now and it's my favorite thing in my kitchen.  I'm going to have to give this a try.  

Do you know what it's doing when you whack it?  What is being dislodged that is making it work right again?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Nice.  Kind of like the drop test that used to fix the AN/GRA-39.

My Keurig went tits up about 14 months after I got it; same problem.  Went through all the Keurig and internet techniques, and finally called Keurig and got a replacement for free.  Hadn't tried the pimp hand though.  I'll keep that in mind if this new one gets ornery.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#50]
they arent for everyone. if you are a "coffee drinker" then it may not be for you. my wife and I are occasional drinkers. i get a cup every morning on the way out the door and thats it, one cup. our regular coffee maker hasnt been used in over a year . we got the Keurig for Christmas and it fits out needs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top