Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:49:22 AM EDT
Gettign it this thursday-
so far, the 4-5 people i know that have had it have zero problems and only wish they had it earlier

Am getting the "custom wavefront" procedure.  

Whats your results?

Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to have it done, but I'm worried they will screw up my eyes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Wifey had it done about 6 years ago.  Absolutely loved(s) it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Before Lasik:  

Left Eye:  20/750
Right Eye:  20/800

After Lasik:

Let & Right:  20/10

Doesn't get any better than that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the 3D Wave Front Custom Vue watchamacallit procedure done and I went from like 20/80 and 20/100 to 20/20 or better in both eyes (though I think my left eye is very slightly better than the right). Cost me $2700, but I think it was well worth it. I had my procedure done almost 2 years ago and I still see as well as I did as I did back then. From what I've heard, if your prescription is continually changing, your vision may still change after the surgery. My prescription has seen very little change over the past 15 years or so though.

I know there is at least one member on here that claims to have had horrible results with his LASIK surgery. I dunno if his doctor screwed up royally or something. If you search for LASIK I'm sure you can find his thread, along with tons of people saying how great their surgery was (including me).
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Had LASIK done back in 1999. Result were 20/15 left eye, 20/20 right eye. Last time I had it checked was 3yrs ago though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Had it done 2 years ago.

My vision was not particularly bad (20/40 with astigmatism) but I had a hard time driving at night w/o glasses and when it rained it was just impossible.

I had the bladeless surgery, custom wavefront etc. I've been very happy with it overall but it took about a year for the dry eyes to completely go away. I always had drops handy because in the late afternoon after staring at the computer screen all day it felt like one eye had sand in it. Pretty annoying but now it doesn't happen anymore.

A couple of tips...keep your eyes moistened before the surgery and be EXTREMELY diligent about using the correct drops on time in the hours and days afterward.

My eyes are a little more light sensitive than they were, and by this I mean noontime Florida sun on a clear day is moderately painful. But you really NEED sunglasses here anyway so this wasn't a major change.

I'm pretty happy I did it, even though my vision wasn't that bad it's NICE not having to deal with glasses/overglasses at the range or lab, being able to use normal sunglasses, etc.

If you're ever going to do combat sports (boxing, full contact fighting, etc) you should not have it done as there is a real potential of flap dislocation if you're getting hit in the eye or face. I only mention this because there are a few guys at my gym who want to have it done but then also want to do amateur fights. I always discourage them because this really is a valid contraindication.

good luck with it, if you've gotten this far in the process I think you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I had PRK, 20/20 in the left, 20/15 in the right, had it done July 06' a month before deploying to Iraq the last time.  I get blooming in the left eye a bit which sucks when trying to focus on a front sight or the dot in my M68, but I work with it just fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm really interested to hear what the results are for "wavefront" v. regular lasik.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had PRK, 20/20 in the left, 20/15 in the right, had it done July 06' a month before deploying to Iraq the last time.  I get blooming in the left eye a bit which sucks when trying to focus on a front sight or the dot in my M68, but I work with it just fine.

See I have always had a problem with seeing halos and starbursts as they're often called even before the surgery. Some people complain about them after the surgery. Nothing really changed for me though. They do seem to be less prominent now however.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife had the new style done about a year ago. By "new style" I mean the one that does not leave a flap.

Her vision was so bad that she could not read the scrolling text on TV... and I mean on our 62" HDTV from about 7 feet away.

After the surgery, she can read the clock on the microwave from the other side of the living room which is about 30 feet.

I know this is anecdotal evidence, but seriously it was a huge improvement and worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I had LASIK about 18 Months ago with no problems.  

Be sure to request an Rx for Valium or some other sedative to take on the day of your surgery. Trying to zen out when the doc is cutting on your eye can be really difficult.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#12]
20/200 before and 20/20 after.  Had it done in 2000.

See at least 2 docs and ask them how much experience they have had with vision like yours.  The should be straight forward about the risks and should quote actual number of patients etc they have worked on .  If they don't find someone else.

Also, avoid the fly by night operations that have all the specials etc and use someone elses laser and equipment.  Only people I know who have had major issues went to one of those places.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
20/350 before, 20/15 now. I do have trouble with starbursts on headlights at night and need reading glasses but that is an easy trade off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#15]
20/400 -> 20/17 between both eyes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#16]
i hope i am not expecting too much- just allthe friends say it rocks...all i want is 20/20 without contacts.  htey say the wavefront reduces starbursting/halos.  I am not sure what to expect with that as by the time nigjt comes along anyway, my contacts are gettign dirty/crappy and i get blurring anyway
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Before Lasik:  

After Lasik:

Except that it's hard to see the F on your keyboard.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wifey had it done about 6 years ago.  Absolutely loved(s) it.

yup mine had it this year.. shes better than 20/20 now.. before she wore pop bottles on her face..
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Custom LASEK:

Awesome (20/15) vision, occasional dry eyes.

Link Posted: 12/31/2007 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before Lasik:  

After Lasik:

Except that it's hard to see the F on your keyboard.

Link Posted: 12/31/2007 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I had it done about 20 months ago.

I was about 20/200 uncorrected.

I just had a vision test two weeks ago.  20/20 l and 20/25 r, but with both eyes, 20/13.

Not sure how that works, but that is what the tester lady wrote in my physical.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Before Lasik:  

After Lasik:

My results were about the same.  I had it (LASIK) done back in 2000 and finally had to go to an eye dr about 2 months ago to get some wood shavings dug out of my left eye.  While there, the doc checked my vision and it's between 20/10 and 20/15 in my right eye and 20/15 in my left.  

I'd say that the surgery is still a success after 7 yrs.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]
before:
slight astigmatism. (no idea what it correlates to on the 20/xx scale)

after:
20/18
20/15
20/15 both

overall I am very happy with it
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I had LASIK a few years ago.  Before surgery, couldn't make out the big E at the the top of the chart.  (That's not a joke.)  Now, 20/20.  Absolutely no problems.  Don't expect to be able to see well right away.  Some people say they can read the clock across the room as soon as they get off the table.  I couldn't see s--t.  The doctor I went to uses a lot of drops after the surgery so he said everything would seem like I was under murky water, but after about 4 hours that would go away.

On the way home I noticed that while it appeared "foggy," I could read the headlines on the newspapers in the machines as we were driving home.  True to what the doctor said, after about 4 hours it hit me that I was watching TV and could read the clock across the room without glasses or contacts.

Make sure you go with the no blade surgery.  Most doctors who do LASIK are cutting the flap with a laser now but there are still a few using the microkeratotmer.  Less chance of a problem with the laser.  Check out your doctor very well before getting it done.  Don't go on price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]
About how much does it run?  My eyes are not so good, and it would make using iron sights much easier, plus I'd be able to wear normal sun or shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
About how much does it run?  \

I think my Brother paid just about $3k or so, no regrets having it done.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard in a previous thread that you shouldn't have it done before age 25 or so, because your eyes continue to develop until then.  If that's the case, I guess I've got something worth saving up for.  To me at least, $3,000 would actually be worth it, I hate having to squint to see things, even with glasses on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
About how much does it run?  My eyes are not so good, and it would make using iron sights much easier, plus I'd be able to wear normal sun or shooting glasses.

When I had it done it was about $1500 to $2000 per eye.  

LASIK may or may not help you to use iron sights.  LASIK fixes the curvature of the cornea so that the light hits the right place on the back of your eye.  If you are having trouble seeing close up and are in the 40+ range, it is more likely the lens is no longer focusing like it did when you were younger.  While I no longer need glasses for distance, I do need them for reading.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Getting it on Thursday!  Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
so far, the 4-5 people i know that have had it have zero problems and only wish they had it earlier

Whats your results?

Wifehad it done 3 yeears ago, no problems!

The same doc that does the PHX SUNS and DIAMONDBACKS did my wifes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard in a previous thread that you shouldn't have it done before age 25 or so, because your eyes continue to develop until then.  If that's the case, I guess I've got something worth saving up for.  To me at least, $3,000 would actually be worth it, I hate having to squint to see things, even with glasses on.

I agree, if it was something that I knew would be beneficial to my eyesight....would absolutely spend the next  $3k-$3,500 on the procedure before another fun toy or vacation.

The only person I know who bad mouths LASIK is my cousin (for obvious reasons), he  is an Optometrist.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I had it done it was about $1500 to $2000 per eye.  

LASIK may or may not help you to use iron sights.  LASIK fixes the curvature of the cornea so that the light hits the right place on the back of your eye.  If you are having trouble seeing close up and are in the 40+ range, it is more likely the lens is no longer focusing like it did when you were younger.  While I no longer need glasses for distance, I do need them for reading.

I'm only 20 years old, and have needed glasses for about half of those.  If I get new glasses, I can do alright with irons,  I don't really have a problem focusing on the front sight, it's just that at even 25 yards, the target is so blurry that I just can't tell what's what.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats your results?

I had mine done at Lasik Plus in Orlando.  Yes it is a national chain, but the doctor is the doc who does all of the Orlando Magic and the US Secret Service agents in the SE United States.   If he is good enough for those that protect the Pres and other VIP's, he's good enough for me.

Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:11:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Getting it on Thursday!  Wish me luck.

"SEE" you Thursday!!! (same day as mine!)
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#35]
The required downtime before and after the surgery is what I do not like about the lasik surgery. I need full operational readiness within 1-2 days before/after the surgery. I do not want to wear glasses for 3 weeks before the surgery or stay indoors for 2 weeks after.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#36]
It's been about 14 months since I've had it done and I can still see 20/20 one eye and 20/15 the other.

Best decision I made!
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Every time I think about asking about it at the eye doctor I notice how all the people working there wear glasses.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The required downtime before and after the surgery is what I do not like about the lasik surgery. I need full operational readiness within 1-2 days before/after the surgery. I do not want to wear glasses for 3 weeks before the surgery or stay indoors for 2 weeks after.

UHHH  my doc said 3 days of glasses before and take it easy for a few days after.  nothing about staying indoors- all my friends that thad it went to work the next day....
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Had it done last February.

Went from 20/200 to 20/10 in both eyes.

Wish I had done it earlier.

SG
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#40]
It is on my list of things to get.  

I am hoping soon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#41]
A few questions here:

I'm 19. I can't see shit without my glasses. I need LASIK before I apply for the PD in a year.

What would happen if I had it at age 20.5? Would it be successful?
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Wearing glasses is downtime? And you don't need to stay indoors as long as you have a GOOD pair of sunglasses. The complimentary pair they gave me were sort of stylish, but I have Oakleys that I normally wear anyway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I have always wanted corrective surgery since the old days of radial keratotamy, but I have been hesitant to get it done because there simply isn't any data on the effects of the surgery on geriatric ages.

What happens to people who have it done when they are in late life? Nobody knows.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats your results?

Dr. J Schwartz? I've thought about having this done, although I'm only 24 so I'm waiting for my eyes to finish deteriorating. How much did Dr. Schwartz charge per eye?
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
My wife had the new style done about a year ago. By "new style" I mean the one that does not leave a flap.

Tell me more about this "new style" Lasik...
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I had wavefront done about 3-4 years ago.  Now I can spot an ant at a mile and half.  It's awesome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#47]
After surgery, even if successful, your sight will always be different.  At night, there are things I notice that are not the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me more about this "new style" Lasik...

You mean PRK?  The "new" LASIK just means with the laser to cut the flap.  LASIK without the flap is PRK which is much more painful and has a much longer recovery time.

I had the laser flap and recovery was nice and quick.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#49]
well, its done!

3k later and i can jsut about see as well as i could with contacts...just about cause they say it takes a bit for everthing to get to normal- lots of drops for a while

tell you the truth- it hurt when they cut my lens with the microkeratome thingie- maybe i am a wuss, but it frigging stung like a mofo.  only for about 20 seconds though reat of it was cake.

Link Posted: 1/4/2008 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I had LASIK about 18 Months ago with no problems.  

Be sure to request an Rx for Valium or some other sedative to take on the day of your surgery. Trying to zen out when the doc is cutting on your eye can be really difficult.

+1

Took a dose of diazepam about 45 minutes prior to PRK procedure (both eyes on the same day). Felt pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Took about 10 minutes.

I went from something like 20/400 to 20/10 in both eyes. My only complaint is that they get dry very easily, usually in the mornings. Lots of drops. It's worth it though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top