Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/11/2005 6:28:58 PM EDT
I'm currently living at home while renovating my new/used home. I have about a dozen guns...

Tonight at dinner my mom mentioned the fact that my dad travels alot (2 weeks a month) and she'll be home alone a lot. My youngest brother's going to be off at college and my other brother usually crashes at a buddies or comes home late. She's never mentioned guns before....

Finally tonight she starts asking me if she should get a handgun or shotgun. I discussed the basic +/-'s of each one.

Shotgun: Recoil, heavier, hard to reach if the bad guy is close.
Plus's: Possibly more shots than a revolver, less penetration from room to room, more
knockdown power.

Handgun: (100 percent chance I'd get her a revolver)
Can keep close to bed on the night stand. Possibly less recoil (.38 special) but could
also use .357 magnum. Easier to pick up point and shoot.
Minus's: Limited shot capacity.

She's never shot more than a .22 so I'm leaning towards the revolver. She can keep it by the nighstand and it's basically a point and shoot weapon, vs the shotgun which is shoot, rack it, shoot again, etc.. I imagine she could hit someone with 5-6 shots or at least scare the crap out of them.

I also have to consider that my brother might be home and he is 3 walls from her room, so penetration from a badly aimed pistol could penetrate into his room.

HELP ME pick out a gun for her. I'll probably buy it for both her and my father for an xmas present since I'll be moved by then and take them both to the range for training.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:32:08 PM EDT
FYI, apostrophes don't always go before an S. They actually have a definite purpose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:34:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 6:43:05 PM EDT by echo459]

Originally Posted By Greenhorn:
FYI, apostrophes don't always go before an S. They actually have a definite purpose.

eta. thanks Swindle1984
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:50:44 PM EDT
make sure you discuss knowing your target so she doesnt shoot your 'other brother' who may or may not be coming home late.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:52:49 PM EDT
I'd say take her to a place that allows firearm rentals to help her out, I can recommend all of my favorite guns, but whether they work for her or not doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:04:15 PM EDT
Thanks. I'm leaning towards a short barrel revolver (4 inches or less) in .38/.357. I think a 12ga is just too intimidating until she has some practice with a handgun under her belt. I'm more excited that she actually started talking to me about getting a gun than anything. I've got a coupon for 77 dollars for 1,000rds of 7.62x39 at cabelas, and I think I'll take her out there with me this weekend to pick it up and check out what guns she thinks are "pretty".

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:57:32 PM EDT
Ever try to answer a door with a shotgun in your hand?

A S&W K-frame in .38 Special or .357 Magnum sounds about perfect. But frankly a similar Ruger or Colt would do just as well.

I possible, take her to a range that rents handguns so she can actually fire whatever she thinks she likes before buying it. Something like a ‘cute’ little lightweight 5-shot revolver can look great in a gunstore, but can be very difficult for some new shooters to handle well.

An equally important issue is getting some decent training, both in firearms usage and in home defense related issues.

FWIW, the NRA has what appears to be a really good ‘personal protection in the home’ course (I’ve read the handout but not actually taken the course).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:59:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By w4klr:
I'd say take her to a place that allows firearm rentals to help her out, I can recommend all of my favorite guns, but whether they work for her or not doesn't matter.

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:00:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By echo459:

Originally Posted By Greenhorn:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/visigoth/gnazi4bd.jpg

eta. thanks Swindle1984

Think of it as 'ignorance awareness counseling'
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:01:15 PM EDT
S&W Model 60, 3" or Ruger SP101 3".

Both are excellent options for home defense.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:03:48 PM EDT
not to bring in an over used phrase but...get both if she ever gets any practice with a 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:07:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Melvinator2k0:
not to bring in an over used phrase but...get both if she ever gets any practice with a 12 gauge.

+1 good idea. she can answer the door with her revolver and can easily deploy it extreme close quarters if necessary. she can use the shotgun if something goes bump in the night, that is if she has time to prepare herself against a perceived threat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:08:53 PM EDT
Ruger GP100 or SP101.

Which ever one fits her hands best. i would go with the GP100 since it is not going to be carried.

Actually personally I would go with a Glock with a light.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:33:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 10:36:03 PM EDT by Arlis]
Re barrel length. A short barrel does not allow a safe take-away grip. Firing the gun will incapacitate the hand of someone trying to grasp the barrel to wrestle the gun away. Since this is a self defense gun, I would definitely go with a short barrel.

Also look at the thunder five.

I doubt that a long gun will be of any use unless you are way out in the country or there is an extended 911 response time. But since it doesn't hurt to be prepared, I'd stick to a shotgun with reduced loads.

Something like the Benelli Nova in a youth model with the recoil reducer.

ETA: don't forget a couple of good flashlights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:54:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 8:54:35 AM EDT by hardcorps1775]
my mom is in the same situation. she wants something light and handy that she can answer a door with in her apron pocket. i bought her a walther ppk (she's a HUGE sean connery fan) but it turns out she can't cycle the slide and the d/a trigger pull is too long and hard.

i took her to the fun show at dulles and she really likes the s&w 642. titanium lightweight frame, she can open the cylinder pretty easily, and it's a helluva lot easier to lighten a revolver trigger than a semiauto trigger. i'm gonna lighten it just to the point she can pull it relatively easily...not a hairtrigger.

that and a couple safariland speedloaders and i figger she'll be good to go...well, a lotta range time too...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:53:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
... she really likes the s&w 642. titanium lightweight frame, ... i'm gonna lighten it just to the point she can pull it relatively easily...not a hairtrigger...

Those titanium S&W’s are great to carry, but are pretty challenging to shoot well. Granted, at close range that isn’t an issue.

Be extra careful you don’t reduce the reliability of it! A light trigger is nice, but complete reliability is absolutely essential.

I have no experience with the new S&W lockwork, but I’ve found that in the older ones you can significantly improve the triggerpull by carefully stoning the mating surfaces and not even touching the springs. A small amount of a good grease such as TW25B judicially applied to the lockwork with a toothpick can also really help.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 10:42:20 AM EDT by michaelj1978]
After spending some time at "work" researching this I think I've narrowed it down for her. Of course she would have to try it out, but it's the 686P in a 2.5 barrel. Here are the specs.

Type: Revolver
Model: 686P
Caliber: .357 Magnum®/.38 S&W Special +P
Barrel Length: 2-1/2"
Capacity: 7 Rounds
External Safety: N/A
Hammer: .375" Target
Grip: Uncle Mike's Rubber
Trigger: .312" Smooth Target Frame: Medium - L Frame Rd
Front Sight: Red Ramp Finish: Satin Stainless
Rear Sight: Adjustable White Outline Overall length: 7-1/2"
Firing System: N/A Weight: 34.5 ounces
Material: Stainless Steel

I do like the 7 shot capacity over the other revolvers which have 5-6 shot.

I also like the lightweight models, but don't think it would be good for a first time shooter due to increased recoil.

A semiauto is out of the question. I think the learning curve on it would frustrate her and in time of need I don't know how she'd hold up if she forgot to rack the slide, etc... With the revolver, just point and shoot.

ALSO: I am leaving my Browning BPS 12 ga with them. It's currently in the closet in her room but she has no clue how to use it. I may take her to shoot trap/skeet with it sometime to get familiar with it. I am leaving it there cause my dad knows how to use it and I will be getting an 870 with a higher capacity than the browning's 3rds.

Question: I am not familiar with revolvers, only semi-autos. Can I mix .38 with the .357? Say 3 rounds of .38 special and 4 of .357, or mix in a round or two of snake shot in there? Does the .38 use the same cylinder or do you change them like when shooting .22 and .22mag?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:47:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 10:49:40 AM EDT by hardcorps1775]

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:
Question: I am not familiar with revolvers, only semi-autos. Can I mix .38 with the .357? Say 3 rounds of .38 special and 4 of .357, or mix in a round or two of snake shot in there? Does the .38 use the same cylinder or do you change them like when shooting .22 and .22mag?

same cylinder is fine although it'll be a helluva surprise to go from .38 spls to a .357...

also, make sure she's comfortable with a big heavy piece like that and can pull the trigger...i was surprised as hell my mom couldn't draw back the slide on her ppk cuz she's pretty strong otherwise.

199, thanks for the tips!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:52:44 PM EDT
Having never shot a .38 and a .357 is the recoil THAT much different? I have a walther p99 in 9mm so can only draw conclusions from it, and I don't think it hits that hard, even shooting +p out of it.

I do have experience with rifles, would .38 be like shooting an SKS and .357 shooting an M44 mosin?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:36 PM EDT
I have shot .357 magnum but not .38 and I can tell you its not bad from 9mm to .357( just more of a jerk), probly not the same story for a lady.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:03:55 PM EDT

... it's the 686P in a 2.5 barrel. ...

Excellent choice. It will have a bit of muzzle blast and velocity loss from that short barrel, but that’s just a necessary compromise.

Recoil can be pretty subjective, but in my view a full-house .357 Magnum has a lot more than a .38 Spl. I’d also expect the blast and flash from that short barrel to be pretty substantial with magnums.

You can alternate rounds in the chambers (and some folks do), but in my view – at least in a self-defense situation - the most likely result is you won’t have the specific round available that you need when you need it!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:10:17 PM EDT
I don't know about your mom but my mother could not shoot a 12 guage. It would probably knock her down. I'm no pussy. But my buddies winchester 1300 12ga is not pleasant to shoot. Especially for a small middle aged woman.

My dad wants to get my mother a pistol. I am not a huge revolver fan but it is probably a good choice for a woman. No worry about limp wristing.

You have to hold on to my Kimber stainless ultra carry II like its your last meal or it won't cycle. Damn thing will just lock the slide back like its out. Pisses me off. I kinda wish I would have got a glock 19 instead.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:42:58 PM EDT
20 Gauge Shotgun
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:12:12 AM EDT
20 gauge or 410. Better chance of hitting something for someone that has not been through a lot of training with a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:45:51 AM EDT

I'm currently living at home while renovating my new/used home. I have about a dozen guns...

<snip>

I'll probably buy it for both her and my father for an xmas present since I'll be moved by then and take them both to the range for training.

Probably? Geez, you should definitely just give her one of yours or buy her a gun of her choice. When my Mom decided she wanted a house gun, I gathered up everything I thought was appropriate and took Mom out for a day at the range. When she had fired everything, she picked an S&W J-Frame .38 because it fit her hand and she could hide it in her bathrobe pocket.

I can't even begin to pay back everything my parents have done for me throughout my life, so if my Mom wants a measly $300 gun I'll just give it to her.

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
my mom is in the same situation. she wants something light and handy that she can answer a door with in her apron pocket. i bought her a walther ppk

Now he's a good son...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:01:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ikor:
S&W M10 used 4" BBL...one of the best ever built, and plenty of gun for her with good, .38Spl +P JHP ammo!

Agreed, this gun is absolute KISS.

KISS = Keep It Simple Simon
Top Top