Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 5:11:17 PM EDT
Can't make up my mind it will also be the DVD player for the house ...
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
PS2 - if you want lots of games and fun NOW.
X-BOX  - if you want cooler games in the FUTURE.

Edit:  to add get the X.  In 6 mos. or so they will have the games you want.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't Sony coming out with the PS3 soon?

The Sony also has expansion capabilities.  I know they are releasing a Linux developer's kit for it.  I think I heard that they are releasing a DVR kit for it.

I'm not sure whether the Microsoft box is expandable or not.  Even if it is, I can guarantee they'll never allow Linux near it. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Either one will make an excellent target. [:)]

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
i would get ps2. it had GTA3 and state of emergency , thats enough for me. xbox seems to have lots of sports games, which i cant stand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If you play DVD's that are longer than 2 hours on the PS2, the laser will overheat, and take hours to read the code again.  Get the XBOX, if you want to watch alot of movies.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the PS2--it's a great system, and it DOESN'T overheat if you keep it in a well ventilated area.  I've had one on, running Final Fantasy X for three straight days (note, the game wasn't being played for three straight days, just the system was on.) without any overheating problems.

Also, the X-box is basically a repackaged PC.  Any of the cool games for it WILL come out for PC, because porting from Xbox to PC is rather trivial.  Since you're posting here, I'm assuming you have a personal computer of some sort (and the odds say it's 95% likely it runs a Microsoft OS. :)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll grant that the Playstation is more expandable... but that's because it lacks a lot of the functionality already built into the X-box. Playstation 2 lacks a hard drive (8 gig) and an ethernet adapter.

Playstation 2 undeniably has a better library of games, and will continue to do so for the near future.  With backwards compatibility, you have the whole PSX library in addition to the new PSX2 stuff.

However the X-box is the better piece of hardware, and should be capable of far more than the PS2 can deliver.  As for GTA 3... I'll grant that's an excellent selling point, but GTA 3 is supposedly being ported to the X-box.  Supposedly there are some exclusivity issues, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Until then, I've got Halo, Max Payne, etc...

Bottom line:
They're both good systems, but from what I understand Microsoft is selling their units at a considerable loss.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The Playstation platform is the longest running platform of current systems. When the smoke clears and Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft and others are pulling the plug and rethinking their consoles Sony will have another Playstation that will play all the Playstation 1,2,3,4,5....
games.

I've had them all from an original Pong to the Xbox, I prefer the Playstation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The XBox has surround sound, is HDTV compatible, and Halo is hellacool, in case any of those is a consideration for you....
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top