Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:26:31 AM EST
These are on the XBL dashboard too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HluWsMlfj68

If this works how it's being presented it will change gaming.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:28:19 AM EST
Gotta call dupe...on myself.forgot to check GD.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=881075
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:47:35 AM EST
Im in absolute agreement mate. It does look pretty slick.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:56:36 AM EST
$20 says it doesn't work anywhere near as well in the advertisements.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:40:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By roboman:

We all know that to be true but dammit, man, can't we dream?..
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:41:55 AM EST
Good questions.

Five Things I Want to Know about Project Natal

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165944/five_things_i_want_to_know_about_project_natal.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:17:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:
Good questions.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165944/five_things_i_want_to_know_about_project_natal.html

Good find

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:20:05 AM EST
If they did achieve backwards compatability to all Xbox 360 games, they couldn't keep those things on the shelf at any price point, because of the COD and Halo crowds. That's over 5 million people right there who would readily snap those up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:26:03 AM EST
CoD and HALO would be unplayable against hand held controllers. No one is quick enough to beat a thumb movement. If they do go backwards compatable then it would be platformers or driving games that would be favourite, I think.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:02:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gobshyte:
CoD and HALO would be unplayable against hand held controllers. No one is quick enough to beat a thumb movement. If they do go backwards compatable then it would be platformers or driving games that would be favourite, I think.

Split the servers......controller users go to one / Natal users go to another.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:10:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2009 8:22:15 AM EST by Lovelessk999]

M$ locked mouse and keyboard players out of the xbox so they wouldn't have to do that. The whole argument at the time was that console players would get unfairly beaten into a puddle by the keyboard players.

Outside AAA titles, you don't have the player base to pull that off do you think?

Edit: Not enough coffee in the world some mornings for me to make a cogent sentence. This is one of those days.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:10:28 AM EST
Wait till there's a 3rd party "game" with a customized real doll/fleshlight controller.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:02:48 AM EST
Meh.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:23:51 AM EST
Clare is HOT!
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:05:54 PM EST
Motion capture rarely works well.

I just wish MS would stop trying to make the Wii. (I still haven't made a stupid 360-Mii)
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:57:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
Clare is HOT!

Fuck yeah she is!
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:07:14 PM EST

Good questions.

this link.

The mention of COD being played like this. If SOMEHOW i could hook my AR to this NATAL thing, and use my personal weapons in a call of duty 4 type game, good lord. Id dump my ps3 in a heart beat for that one capability.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 12:04:17 PM EST
The editor at gametrailers has said that the "Milo" demo was full of smoke and mirrors and very deceptive. I think that was pretty obvious to begin with though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:47:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By RedOx1:

Good questions.

this link.

The mention of COD being played like this. If SOMEHOW i could hook my AR to this NATAL thing, and use my personal weapons in a call of duty 4 type game, good lord. Id dump my ps3 in a heart beat for that one capability.

You really think so? Or would you lose a ton of reaction time and get hosed by a fat 8 year old kid with fast thumbs....

I don't understand why people think they will be scanning their range queens into anything.

Let's say you scan it, do you think a 60 dollar camera (price point is always an issue on getting enough people to buy this stuff) is going to do it justice compared to the 100k+ scanning equipment IW used to scan the original guns? How about the rate of fire. How about weight and how it effects recoil? How about DAMAGE.

You know they aren't going to let you set your own damage lol. It will just be a skin for another gun in the game. Compare that to IW scanning something like the SCAR and selling it to you at a buck or 5 and which direction do you think companies will go?

I have yet to see one person who can give a real advantage to this form of virtual gaming over a wheel, flightstick, gamepad, etc.

I wont even go into the fact that most gamers get winded getting up to change discs on multi disk games.

Don't get me wrong, there is a certain Wow factor, but no one has said why this is even remotely a better system than what we work with now. It's like text to speech on computers. It sounds good on paper and works pretty well. Yet every single person in this thread typed it instead of talking to their computer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:21:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By RedOx1:

Good questions.

this link.

Problem is, FPSs require you to be aware of everything around you in the game. With control sticks, that's relatively easy: You move the stick, and you see on the screen what you wanted to see. With full motion capture, however, you would be turning around to face your living room wall, and not seeing what's to your side in the virtual world. Also, weapon handling: Are the sensors good enough to distinguish between looking over and looking down the sights? Reloads, transitions and stance changes are bigger issues. You almost would need to use a prop gun, just to give the sensors something to reference.

I want to believe, I really do. But this tech, at present, just seems relegated to racing and fighting games, if it works at all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:56:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lovelessk999:

M$ locked mouse and keyboard players out of the xbox so they wouldn't have to do that. The whole argument at the time was that console players would get unfairly beaten into a puddle by the keyboard players.

Outside AAA titles, you don't have the player base to pull that off do you think?

Edit: Not enough coffee in the world some mornings for me to make a cogent sentence. This is one of those days.

Not entirely true. Shadowrun let you play against the PC gamers. Some game magazine did an interview with some of the developers at Fasa (RIP), and they observed that while they (the studio) was tuning the controls, the console guys were beating the PC guys pretty mercilessly, and the PC gamers weren't playing with any impediments to their controls.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:54:27 AM EST
Natal does not pass the smell test.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:34:52 AM EST
The Sony motion controllers look more interesting to me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:14:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By roboman:

We all know that to be true but dammit, man, can't we dream?..

Does this "scan" feature mean everyone from the Tac Gear forum will be playing the latest first-person shooter in their personalized multicam ninja suits?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:27:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By CanteTinza:
The Sony motion controllers look more interesting to me.

Agreed. Sony's look like they could work for hardcore games instead of just for the casual market.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:43:04 PM EST
Damage control to what Wii has done to them in the last few years.

As mentioned above, how long could some really play a game that is a total body workout? I can spend hours playing a favorite RPG only because it's possible to relax on a couch and play. I get my workouts done at the gym or on the trail.

I have a Wii, and the motion control is fun with a lot of games, but a lot of other games you can sit back and use the controller as you would a normal controller.

Everyone knows the future of gaming is basically putting you into the game in some way or another, but actually wearing yourself out only after 15 minutes of active play isn't that future I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:50:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 6:51:21 PM EST by AgentOhm]
Originally Posted By MauserMark:
Damage control to what Wii has done to them in the last few years.

As mentioned above, how long could some really play a game that is a total body workout? I can spend hours playing a favorite RPG only because it's possible to relax on a couch and play. I get my workouts done at the gym or on the trail.

I have a Wii, and the motion control is fun with a lot of games, but a lot of other games you can sit back and use the controller as you would a normal controller.

Everyone knows the future of gaming is basically putting you into the game in some way or another, but actually wearing yourself out only after 15 minutes of active play isn't that future I'm afraid.

for the great majority of gamers this would be true.

but i think this could be a great equalizer. i can't stand gettin my ass kicked by those lazy fucks with gravy flowin through their veins.
Top Top