Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:01:54 PM EST
My buddy just got back from Thailand with a bunch of bootleg games for the XBOX 360. They were "guaranteed" to work but the console will not read them. Is there a secret to getting these to work or was my buddy a sucker and we are out of luck? Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:02:49 PM EST
You might want to get your xbox checked for STDs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:04:37 PM EST
probably as legit as this USB flash drive!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:04:44 PM EST
Someone got "ripped off".
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:05:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
My buddy just got back from Thailand with a bunch of bootleg games for the XBOX 360. They were "guaranteed" to work but the console will not read them. Is there a secret to getting these to work or was my buddy a sucker and we are out of luck? Thanks for any help!

No XBOX experience, but Occam's Razor says he bought some blank CD-R's, or maybe they're filled with illegal .jpg's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:06:30 PM EST
They might work with a mod chip. Put them in your computer's DVD drive and see if there's anything on them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:07:12 PM EST
bootleg discs are mostly region free, but your xbox needs to be modded to play them

they are usually burned on dvdr+Dual Layer discs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:07:57 PM EST
region coding like DVDs

my money is on you buddy getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:08:53 PM EST
plus why would anyone buy bootlegs when you can download them for free on teh internets

oh and IBTL
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:09:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Evilsmurfkilla:
They might work with a mod chip. Put them in your computer's DVD drive and see if there's anything on them.

What is a mod chip?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:11:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 6:13:14 PM EST by kcpwnsgman]
Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
Originally Posted By Evilsmurfkilla:

What is a mod chip?

something that you probably don't want to get into unless you are comfortable with soldering and dealing with computers and electronics

basically it is a device that modifies (in most cases) the console into playing illegally copied/shared/duplicated games. They also apparently have legal uses
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:13:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By rykn0w:
bootleg discs are mostly region free, but your xbox needs to be modded to play them

they are usually burned on dvdr+Dual Layer discs.

How do you mod the xbox to play the disc
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:20:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 6:24:56 PM EST by Fal1acy]
Put 'em in the pc / dvd player.
Xbox 360 games (even copies) have a movie on them, "Play this disk in an xbox360" or such.

All 360 games are on dual layer dvd's. Console won't take games on anything else - Even the Fallout 3 DLC Disc (actual content is ~800mb or so?) is over 6gb / a dual-layer dvd.

You bought pirated games from someone who most likely knew you wouldn't be able to try them til after you'd left the country, Though. Think that through: Do you seriously expect a good product.. ?

As far as modding the console.. it isn't a mod chip. Beyond that.. well.. You have google. It's.. complicated.

Edit; Actually, not sure copies have the movie on them. Not something I've ever actually tried.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:26:13 PM EST
I thought you can't Mod if you want to play live? Something about them knowing or what not?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:29:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 6:30:56 PM EST by Fal1acy]
Originally Posted By Bluewaterheaven:
I thought you can't Mod if you want to play live? Something about them knowing or what not?

"Supposedly" it's impossible for them to tell if the console is modded.
The problem is the games. Stealth patching, etc. The main problem looks to be when people play leaked games before they're released.

Plus, The other argument against it is.. "Console of questionable reliability: You really want to void it's warranty..? "
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:07:37 PM EST
There is no chip for the system. It is a firmware update that lets you play on LIVE still and will work with any copied games as you can burn the ISO to disk and play.

So I was told by my neighbor's brothers sisters cousins friend they once new who no longer lives by us.

Top Top