Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 1:29:16 AM EDT
So they're discontinuing the 20gb console and lowering the price to $300. Any reason not to buy one? Anything better on the horizon? What about this red ring of death I hear about? Extended warranty needed here?

I've never done online gaming before so that's not really an issue, though I might try it if it's equipped. I'm just looking for something to replace my aging PS2 that I think will catch fire soon.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:36:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
So they're discontinuing the 20gb console and lowering the price to $300. Any reason not to buy one? No Anything better on the horizon?There is always something better on the horizon What about this red ring of death I hear about?It's been mostly fixed, either way. Microsoft takes good care of you if it does RROD Extended warranty needed here?No, RROD is covered from Microsoft for (IIRC) 3 years.

I've never done online gaming before so that's not really an issue, though I might try it if it's equipped. I'm just looking for something to replace my aging PS2 that I think will catch fire soon.online gaming is the shiznit. Single player gaming is so boring once you've played online. AI is lame

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:39:06 AM EDT
I love mine. The Halo series, FEAR, The Orange Box and Bad Company are some seriously kick ass games to start out with..
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:40:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:
I love mine. The Halo series, FEAR, The Orange Box and Bad Company are some seriously kick ass games to start out with..

COD4 first
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:40:15 AM EDT
I have never played a Xbox, they look cool though, Online gaming is awesome, If you think you kick ass player the single player games, go online for a wakeup call, I thought I was good a few years ago at COD but the first time I went online and played people I was like I suck
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:50:45 AM EDT
Xbox 360 has a bad design defect causing the 3 red lights problem, it's a MUST to get an extended warranty, buy a 5 year one, even longer if necessary because Microsoft might not honor it anymore for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:18:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By technocia:
Xbox 360 has a bad design defect causing the 3 red lights problem, it's a MUST to get an extended warranty, buy a 5 year one, even longer if necessary because Microsoft might not honor it anymore for whatever reason.

You have no idea what you are talking about do you.

That is readily apparent.

Microsoft already has a three year warrant on Xbox's for the RROD problem. Yes, it was a design flaw that has been all but corrected with the newest releases.

My room mate and I have both had to send back our Xbox's due to the RROD. Two weeks from pickup to return. Not to bad IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:22:14 AM EDT
Disclaimer: I am a Playstation fanboy.

However, I will say that the Xbox 360 is a great system, with great online play, a great interface, and nice controls. In head to head comparison on graphics, most say Xbox looks better than PS3.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:24:39 AM EDT
360's are badass. Buy one with a year of live gold and COD4. You'll never look back :D.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:32:27 AM EDT
The RRoD still exists. I have 2 friends that just got new xboxes with the 175w rather than the older 203w power supplys with the upgraded heatsinks and fans and HDMI ports. Still craped out on them. My brothers 6month old Elite is being sent to TX tommarow for replacment/repair.

"The RRoD system failure is like a cancer we dont have a cure for yet" quoted from a Microsoft engineer

That said the Xbox is the BEST. Screw the PS3 and everything else. If you are worried about the RRoD and are a hardcore gamer, buy yor system from Best Buy and also buy the product replacement warrantee(PRP). It will cost about $55 dollars, but lasts 2 years and you can swap the system out anytime for any reason.

That is my advice. And be sure to check out Battlefield: Bad Company....it kicks ass.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:50:40 AM EDT
Just don't swap the case... ask me how I know. I am the proud owner of an 800 dollar xbox 360. Still love it though!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:53:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pita_146:

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:

COD4 first

FEAR was terrible
Orange Box had Halflife which i already played on PC, it's only redeeming game was Portal, TF2 sucked.
Halo is halo. if you like tactical shooters, you will hate halo.

COD4 is still the best game out
Bad Company is really cool, i've played the demo and it is fun
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:12:05 AM EDT
First off the majority of the new 300 dollar systems are refurbished from microsoft, so when buying one if you don't want a refurbished one ask them not to give you one. You will be able to tell the difference the re-furb will have a black band on the top around the box. As far as RROD goes treat your system right as it will last a life time, follow the instructions keep it clean and keep you power supply cool and off insulating surfaces, 9 times out of 10 when some one complains about the had to send away every xbox they got or after two weeks it died blah blah blah its some thing they did, if it does fry no worries Microsoft still has the 3 year warranty and getting an extended warranty from the store remember it starts after the Microsoft warranty. As for features there are more than I can list here and now with all the new interfaces and options its crazy. The big thing is going to be how much are you going to play, if you are hard core then spring for the Elite 120gig hard drive and an HDMI cable that alone makes the extra 100 bucks worth it. If you are just gonna do every once in a while then get the pro 20 gig hard drive free month of Xbox Live its goos stuff. If you really want to know more shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:20:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nowski87:
First off the majority of the new 300 dollar systems are refurbished from microsoft, so when buying one if you don't want a refurbished one ask them not to give you one. You will be able to tell the difference the re-furb will have a black band on the top around the box. As far as RROD goes treat your system right as it will last a life time, follow the instructions keep it clean and keep you power supply cool and off insulating surfaces, 9 times out of 10 when some one complains about the had to send away every xbox they got or after two weeks it died blah blah blah its some thing they did, if it does fry no worries Microsoft still has the 3 year warranty and getting an extended warranty from the store remember it starts after the Microsoft warranty. As for features there are more than I can list here and now with all the new interfaces and options its crazy. The big thing is going to be how much are you going to play, if you are hard core then spring for the Elite 120gig hard drive and an HDMI cable that alone makes the extra 100 bucks worth it. If you are just gonna do every once in a while then get the pro 20 gig hard drive free month of Xbox Live its goos stuff. If you really want to know more shoot me an IM.

The price cut is not because they are refurbished models. The price cut is for existing 20gb premium bundle units. This was done because the replacement for these units will be a 60gb model that will take over the $349.99 price point.

Xbox price cut
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:23:49 PM EDT
Thanks Arfcom!

COD4 was great but I'm going to wait until the price comes down to buy it.

I bought Assassins Creed and it's awesome.

I need an HDTV now though.

My xbox live name is "Number 4 Mark 1"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:48:34 PM EDT
You should be able to get a used to new copy of COD4 for $35 bucks online now. Grats and have fun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:01:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mugzilla:
In head to head comparison on graphics, most say Xbox looks better than PS3.

Originally Posted By ak4784:
buy yor system from Best Buy and also buy the product replacement warrantee(PRP). It will cost about $55 dollars, but lasts 2 years and you can swap the system out anytime for any reason.

Originally Posted By Nowski87:
As far as RROD goes treat your system right as it will last a life time, follow the instructions keep it clean and keep you power supply cool and off insulating surfaces, 9 times out of 10 when some one complains about the had to send away every xbox they got or after two weeks it died blah blah blah its some thing they did

Dang, I can't think of the last time I read a gunstore thread that had as much BS as this thread!

Forget paying extra for every little thing and still not having the features that are included for free with the PS3. If Microsoft and Sony each made a handgun, which one would you want to own?

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 9:18:21 PM EDT by GreenGhost5]
I love my XB360

I have an Elite the black one with the 120 gig HDD. Hooked up to a Toshiba 32 inch HDTV in 1080p
COD4
Oblivion
Ace Combat 6
GTA IV
Gears of War
Saints Row
Mass Effect
Fight Night Round 3

Soon to own
Fable II
Too Human
Gears of War 2
Brother's in Arm's:Hell's Highway

Yes I love my games. I spend too much money on them, but they're fun

ETA: You should pick up the 20 gig, while they are there. Unless you plan on doing a lot of downloads and heavy gaming, if so get the 60 gig when it comes out or the Elite is you can.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:12:13 PM EDT
There are out there for $200.

See other Xbox thread.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:15:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
So they're discontinuing the 20gb console and lowering the price to $300. Any reason not to buy one? Anything better on the horizon? What about this red ring of death I hear about? Extended warranty needed here?

I've never done online gaming before so that's not really an issue, though I might try it if it's equipped. I'm just looking for something to replace my aging PS2 that I think will catch fire soon.

Thanks!

The hard drive justs pops off the side, so you can always get a bigger one. You'd only do this is you wanted to download a bunch of content like movies.

For online gaming you need a network cable, or the wireless adapter. And you need a Gold X-Box live account. The silver is free, and allows to to download content with points you purchase.

Add Ninja Gaiden 2 to the list of games you want too.

The ring of Death has been addressed with a bigger heat sink on the graphics chip. Just keep it someplace with good air flow. I have an original X-Box 360 and never had the problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:18:23 PM EDT
Buy two so when yours has to get shipped back you're not SOL.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:25:01 PM EDT
If you scroll up a lil bit you'll see that I already got one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:33:43 PM EDT
I am on my 3rd xbox 360.

but on a positive note, I have only paid for the first one

first was RROD
Second was disk drive stopped functioning
3rd is still pending.
Top Top